Author Topic: Clutch Basket Damper Modification  (Read 29691 times)

Offline steve...

Re: Clutch Basket Damper Modification
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 10:34:26 »
This ought to be a sticky thread like the manuals above.  Can't imagine how people get on with a standard clutch basket.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 11:52:26 »
Steve

Thank you for the write up. Bit more information for those who might be delving into their own vibrations during the winter months.

This is why they vibrate - The centre hub in the basket wears. This is not the needle roller, but the alloy of the basket going loose on the gear. They can be like this with just 10,000 miles under their belts. Now close to a hundred DL, SV and KLV owners running this modification round the world.

Its encouraged by the loose spring keeper plate that eats further into the alloy of the basket as the miles build. This is the inside of a brand new basket here for modification. That plate is not fastened in place at all. Spends its life hula-hooping about.

Stripped, Inspected and modified components return from machine shop. Ready to start final assembly.

New bush fitted where Suzuki leave alloy to run direct on steel hub.

Assembled and adjustments made for minimum vibration and maximum life.

Completed modification all torqued up and ready to return to owner.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Bradders

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 11:19:11 »
Hello
I've just purchased a 2007 Vee, I've done about 700 miles on it and have to say I have noticed the chudder at below 4000 revs. Would you say I have the clutch basket problem and if so do you still do the modifications. Thanks paul.

Offline donny1972

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 09:17:15 »
Hello john my 06 100 vstrom has 9k on it and suffers from clutch rattle. How much does it cost to get the mod done?

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 10:29:26 »
Send him a private message blokes ("PM" button under his name), he says to do that in the first post so he probably has his profile setup to send him email when someone sends him a PM :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 10:56:20 »
Quote from: "donny1972"
Hello john my 06 100 vstrom has 9k on it and suffers from clutch rattle. How much does it cost to get the mod done?
Quote from: "Bradders"
Hello
I've just purchased a 2007 Vee, I've done about 700 miles on it and have to say I have noticed the chudder at below 4000 revs. Would you say I have the clutch basket problem and if so do you still do the modifications. Thanks paul.

Thank you for your interest donny1972 and Bradders. I still perform the modifications to the DL and SV1000 clutch baskets. We can PM through this forum or email me direct on vibefreevstrom@yahoo.com to exchange info and diagnose. Email is quicker and less cumbersome because I only have time to visit the various forums every few days.
Need to be certain a bike has the "chudder" as you ride and eliminated other likely causes before getting into money and the engine. Most have tried everything else and there are a few tests you can make to confirm it's the basket needs the work. Seems all too often a new standard basket from Suzuki will only damp the problem short term once the bike has previously "chuddered". Options are to modify existing or modify a brand new direct from Suzuki. Everything sorted and a smooth bike within a week for UK owners. Typical is then two weeks for Europe, three for USA, South Africa, South America and Australia. Costs depend where you are. Based in West Yorkshire so drop off and collect in person is an option.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 19:30:53 »
Not that I mind at all but had a good few questions directly via email recently - so here we go with a few answers.

Some time since you updated the thread. Are you still doing the modifications to stop them vibrating? Yes.

How much are genuine new baskets? Recent price rises have put them over £350. Delivery will be extra. Vibration is very likely to return within 10,000 miles. :angry-tappingfoot:

How much is the modification and how long does it take? Post on Monday and they will be returned by Friday. Typical is owners take them out one weekend and get their vibration free bike back on the road by noon the following Saturday. Cost is at least £100 below new including the post both ways. :auto-dirtbike:

Geniune new modified for the UK work out at £545 delivered.

All the springs feel loose in the basket I just took off the bike? Yes they should be. Well all but one.

What parts do I need? A new gasket for certain. £10 or less id you use pattern. Water pump cover 'O' ring might come in handy if the bikes over five years old. £8 or so from Suzuki. Clutch holding tool if you don't have one. Top quality item is about £18 delivered from eBay. Usual tools oil and so forth that most DIY maintainers will have about. :fix:

Can I have my Suzuki dealership or independent workshop fit a modified basket? Yes. Many dealers and workshops remove baskets and store the bike for a few days while its away. I return the modifed basket direct to them for fitting within four working days of receiving it. Pay the workshop for labour and materials only. I don't know what they charge but two hours out and two hours to fit should be the maximum. :shrug:

My basket moves quite a bit on the gear. Is this OK?. It should move a bit, but after 5,000 miles or more it will probably have become too loose and the vibration is partly down to this. I can point you off to a few items on youtube showing how to check them over on the bench without stripping them down. Messy and that's my bit.
Baskets sent will be inspected free of charge. First class post is about £8 each way.

:ty:

Sharealike
vibefreevstrom@yahoo.com
0777 077 2456

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 20:51:38 »
Just over two years now (MAY 2012) since owners first ride reports on the re-engineered clutch baskets started to come in.

April 2010 Owner in Northern California.
"I just got back from a trip with over 800 miles on the basket I recently received back from John (Sharealike) and installed in my 04 Vee with 20K miles. Having the crappy chudder/vibration gone is to me the best upgrade that has been done to this bike. It makes low speed riding very pleasant and running it up through the rpm range significantly smoother. John has been great to deal with and has answered all of my questions and did a fast turn around. His work looks very "factory" and it is great to have this long time problem on an otherwise great machine solved".
800 miles later
"I now have about 1600 miles on the modded basket I received from Sharealike and it continues to preform as when I installed it. No chudder and very smooth throught he range".

April 2010 Owner in Nebraska
"The bike was hideous, embarrassing, at idle but not after the basket mod. I hear that idle hammer is a different issue. I guess my problem was all chudder? The improvement in vibration isn’t just in the grievously affected 3K rpm zone but throughout.

A thousand thanks to Sharealike. The Vstrom community is indebted to you for your determination and your willingness to learn and evolve your solution based on that growing understanding. My hat is off to you, sir. Now, if only Suzuki would stop turning a blind eye.

A happy camper, I am".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And more from April 2010 - Owner in Germany

"Yesterday my modified basket arrived back from John (Sharealike).
Today I reassembled my clutch and made a small test ride (15km)
At least 10km were done between 3000 and 4000 rpm.

First I must tell you that I bought my bike (DL1000 K2) last year with 10500km with 2 owners before. Therefore I never drove a new V-Strom…..

Now, after the modification, I am so happy – I can’t find words for!
I have never assumed that my bike can drive so smooth.
No shudder at all!
In idle (with pulled clutch) nearly no noise, like a 4 cylinder machine.
I can now use the full bandwidth from 2000rpm to the red area – no shudder at all!

Who said that you can’t ride a V-Strom between 2000 and 4000?
That is my favourite speed range in the city is now!!

If you have any shudder at your bike, I can only recommend that you send your bike to John for modification!

The only big problem, that I have now….. how do I get the grin out of my face?"

April 2010 Owner in Iowa
"Many thanks to John "Sharealike" for my new clutch basket! John's service has been super with a quick turn around and high quality workmanship.

It really has lived up to my expectation. Insanely smooth through low to high rpms and just perfect through the 2800-3500 range... No more "chudder" in that rpm range. Shifts smoother too. I'll post again after this season as I'm sure to put 12-15000 miles on it this year."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 2012 - Phoenix AZ
"John, just a quick note on my Vstrom, your handiwork has been been in by bike for 2 years/10k miles now, I reciently bought a low mile ST1100 (PanEuropean) but ended up selling it and keeping my Vstrom, as it runs out smoother-if you can believe that.. your mod made it possible to love the Vstrom (1K)... thanks again. Cheers, Paul- Phoenix, Arizona, USA".

April 2012 - Same owner in Iowa
"I now have over 15000 miles on my modified clutch basket with no changes
from the intitial improvement after installation. I pulled the right side
cover last year to have a look and it seemed perfect".

With 35 years of engineering background it was way back in 2008 that I set out to make a lasting durable fix for the chudder in my own bike and those of a few friends. Over 230 modifications now running in bikes all round the world. Exact same re-engineering of the internals still performed today as it was in 2010 for my first "customer".

John
West Yorkshire
vibefreevstrom@yahoo.com
0777 077 2456 - text or try later if no reply - probably out riding  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 21:10:40 »
Congratulations, John - its something you must be proud of!  :grin:  

If I ever think about getting a Vee, the first thing I'll do is check you're still offering your mod before making a decision... :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 13:51:06 »
Reading this it is clear mine is suffering from "chudder".

I have been in touch with the dealer hopin they will fix it under the warranty that they offer when they sell bikes....

Either way I think this is the best option to repair the bike so if you are still doing these fixes please let me know.

Thanks

Richard
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 23:29:10 »
Hello Richard

Thank you for your interest. Still doing the modifications here in Yorkshire. Most owners remove the basket themselves following a slide set I send out and post them here first class. Most are returned fist class within four days of arrival. Typical case for UK is post on Monday and you will have them back on the Friday or Saturday of the same week. Even quicker by arrangement to keep you on the road. Local folk are welcome to drop and collect in person.
All versions of basket, mileages/km's and conditions take the same time to modify. Cost varies a bit according to distance, country and condition. Welcome contact direct via email to John at vibefreevstrom@yahoo.com for a firm cost including post and timescales.
Check with me for a second diagnosis. Nothing worse than time, work and money spent to find it was something else, or never find what it was. Have also provided evidence encouraging dealers to honour their obligation under sale of goods or warranties in a few cases.

Sharealike
John

Offline leprechaun664

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 20:37:46 »
Hello John, basket mod works a damn treat mate, did a trip over to Kronach in Germany around 1500 miles, plus a few more I did since being back, and it's all nice :)    think it's about time Suzuki got their arse in gear and held their hands up to this factory fault... Many thanks again bud :)

Best regards
Garret in Oxford

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 12:43:14 »
Thank you for your feedback Garret. Everyone comes back with their results without fail. Most direct via email and some even with a phone call. Probably less than five percent of owners running the modification who are registered to post here.

Recent response from an owner in Denmark. This is typical.

Hello John!
Clutchbasket arrived today. Man UK mail is fast!
I got it installed and went of on a test ride.
WOW is all I have to say - Bike is super smooth and chudder free!
Felt the different right when I pulled away.
So I would just like to thank you for perfect and extremely fast service, right from day one when I first contacted you :)
And for the price you take, it is simply amazing!

Best regards!
Now Chudder free

The modifications continue. More modifications this summer than last and it's picking up now we move into the closed season. Seems some of Europe has a low cost half year registration system.

John - AKA - Sharealike

West Yorkshire
0777 077 2456
01484 435084
vibefreevstrom@yahoo.com

Offline edd291

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 10:22:42 »
Hello, this is my first post so here goes.... I had John (sharalike)modify the clutch basket on my 66,000 mile k2 a few weeks ago. I can only join with the other happy owners who have had this mod' done. I commute daily on my Vee and am happy to say that I now have the bike I hoped it would be when I bought it aprox 6 months ago. After many years of riding BMW "brick and boxer" engined bikes, I thought that the "judder" was down to the v twin vibration... after researching the job on this and other sites, communication, advice and "how to" photos sent via email by John were spot on. I am glad to say that all is fantastic.. Have now completed close to 1000 miles on the modified clutch and am enjoying the improved and more comfortable ride of the Vee. Thanks John, glad to be one of your happy customers. I can only advise anyone who has this clutch issue to go for this modification... you won't regret it. Happy days! Andy. :clap:

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 17:58:21 »
Keep receiving emails and PM's asking if I'm still modifying the clutch baskets. Looking here I realise my last activity was back in October 2012 so might explain peoples concerns. Yes I am still doing the mods. Expect to carry on through 2013.

Latest pictures of the modification.

Shown much of this before over the years and in all sorts of places so here's a complete set all in the same place.

From top left. Re-engineered basket and re-engineered gear.
Bottom row from left. Re-engineered inner and outer plates. New high tensile setscrews to replace old rivets.
All other components can often be used again after fine check for tolerance and signs of damage.

New ground finish to hub of gear.

Where the new sharealike bearing - precision machined to match will run. - example of original finish to right.
Old rivet holes are drilled, tapped and counter sunk for new high tensile setscrews. Some copiers have drilled these oversize and used thread inserts. This weakens the posts as the basket is very thin where the posts meet the main casting.

Inner plate fitted to back of basket. Setting of exact position is done later after measurements.

Gear and Spring Set fitted. Position of each spring is key.

Dished Springs fitted. Look round the centre.

Fit Top Cover. Original case hardening is roughed up to ensure underside of the setscrews key into the plate. This area is often polished on older baskets because the loose rivets allowed the surfaces to fret as they chuddered.

Insert and tighten three high tensile setscrews and oil pump gear drive dowel.

Fit oil pump gear. The one thing that will only fit the right way round. Circlip can be fitted wrong.

Look inside to check component positions ready for damping deflection checks.

Measure damping deflection. Basket prevented from rotation while gear is rotated with increased loads.

Check the loading for each and observe the four phases of the torsion absorber working.

Strip after earlier test assembly. Adjust damping, deflection and phases based on measurements taken in above two stages.
Lubricate, rebuild, confirm adjutments are correct, seal to prevent moisture getting in and lubricant escape. Pack and ship back to owner.

This is by no means the complete process. Hope it gives some insight into the original sharealike re-engineered modification.
Only used approved engineering and widely accepted methods for the work. Pays much closer attention to position and tolerances of each component than when new. Please note the modification does not use shims in the springs like the bloke's in the US and Australia have tried. Shims just weaken the springs and you are back to square one with a basket that can't be repaired because you can't buy new springs. These dampers can now be opened up and re-adjusted after the initial modification shown above. They can then be regarded as serviceable item.
Started offering to modify them to save owners fitting serial replacement baskets. This mod seems to rid these lovely engines of the chudder for ever. Enjoyed helping everyone sort out their bikes.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 18:49:13 »
Thanks for the photo's, its really useful to see how these go together. Nice job too.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 13:58:41 »
Modern cars have similar dampers. Different location and parts but principle is the same as the torsion damper built into our clutch baskets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNjARZc ... re=related
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNjARZc5Wo&feature=related[/youtube]

Had plenty of interest from bike dealers lately. Road testing used bikes bought or traded in before sale or being prepared to go in their showrooms. Finding the noise at idle and vibration as they ride so sending clutch baskets here for the modification. Can only be good if it saves the new owners getting lumbered with the problem just after purchase. Check they know my name though. I also found a few knocking washers into the springs and welding bits on in dangerous places.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 11:39:01 »
Pictures that will help those with technical interest to understand the problem in more detail.

This assembly weighs 10 Pounds or 4.5kg. It only needs the slightest encouragement from a failing torque damper to start it resonating at engine speeds of 3,000 to 4,000 rpm. The wear in the damper takes it "out of tune" so the resonance is felt throught the whole bike.

Here's the Torque Damper. Does a fairly decent job when new but soon goes off and creates the vibrations that resonate through the bike.

It's an excessive and jerky deflection of the damper at the critical engine/clutch rpm that causes the vibration. Had over three hundred of these open to date.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 20:56:03 »
A few owners reported similar symptoms to the 1000 engines chudder vibrations in their 650's.

I got hold of a 650 basket to strip and see if there were any similarities. Hoped to post pictures loaded to Dropbox but not working? Sorted it now. The rest will follow.

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 12:14:48 »
Got mine back from John and fitted, the difference is amazing, I have the full rev range to play with now and the whole bike just seems smoother and in some ways more connected.  MOT today then I can get used to  a motorbike that is fun to ride and not one that tries to shake the skin off me.

Big thanks to John, highly recommended.

Cheers

Sharpy
Biker & Cyclist...