Author Topic: Puncture prevention  (Read 4328 times)

Offline claveman

• Bike: DL650A L3
Re: Puncture prevention
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 17:30:25 »
Had some gloop (think that's the name) put into the new tyres fitted at Russ's tyres in Portsmouth. He says its not a problem for him to mend punctures in tyres filled with this. supposed to show a blue patch on the surface of the tyre to show its been punctured/sealed. Its not a permanent repair but won't leave you stranded. Had it done before touring Switzerland last year. Never had any balance issues and it gave peace of mind that I would not be stuck it some S£it hole layby...or Switzerland (Same difference)! Personally I could not be bothered messing around with a plugging kit and compressor. Will get it added to the new A41's I'll be getting shortly.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 20:40:13 »
To be fair Brockett, a tyre blowout is probably going to do you an injury irrespective of any product inside the tyre, when travelling at motorway speeds.

Had just that in May 2015 at 115kph on the Autoroute between Tours and Blois, fully loaded and two up. Bike snaked across the motorway to the hard shoulder....err, safely!  :shock:  The rear tyre was ripped open by a slither of metal 2" long. If it was the front tyre I'm sure your statement would have been correct. Tyre irrepairable but glad to get rid of those Trailwings......

I carry a gunge 'bomb' only for temporarily sealing the tyre, enough to get to a garage or maybe only to remove the wheel somewhere safely.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Leon

• Bike: DL650, ER5, XS250 Cafe Racer
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 13:13:03 »
Not really a prevention but... I've used the Stop and Go Pocket Tyre Plugger for years.

It's never failed to fix the puncture in minutes and a few CO2 canisters have always filled the tyre with enough to get me home.

I've used it in tyres for 1000's of miles with no trouble. Never seems to effect the balance of the tyre either.

Easy to get hold off in the UK just google it.
The more you think the less the better.

Notable bikes: SV650S (Sold), Kawasaki ER5 (Being repaired), 01 Blade (Sold), Another SV650S (Sold), 05 GSXR1000 (Sold), Suzuki GSF400Z (Sold), Yamaha FZR400RR Streetfighter (Sold), Kawasaki GPZ500S (Sold), Yamaha XJ600 Divvie (Crashed), 04 Kawasaki ZX10R (Written off at Snetterton), GSX750X (Sold), 04 ZX6R (Sold), 02 ZX6R (Sold), 94 FZR600R (Sold), 91 NC30 (Sold and missed), 87 GSXR750 (Sold and really missed), RD125LC (Crashed, rebuilt then sold).