Author Topic: Turn signal lamps with position lights  (Read 976 times)

Offline Navalbadger

• Bike: GSX750es
Turn signal lamps with position lights
« on: June 08, 2023, 20:52:12 »
Hello lads,

Trawled the internet somewhat, and had no luck so thought I might ask here. Have any of you seen turn signal lamps with day-time-running-lights, or position lights. Seen different names for the same thing. I'm looking for lamps that looks as stock as possible, with 21w / 5w, for the second generation, 2012-onwards. Have found for the first, but they look slightly different, and too bulky.
Thanks, and thanks for stopping by my thread! :thumb:
- Joe

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Turn signal lamps with position lights
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 04:24:04 »
Are you thinking of the lights that all hondas and BMWs  seem to have now , the indicators slightly on as DRLs.(daytime running lights)
To me they are dangerous.When(if) 86 year old Betty glances up at the junction and sees yellow through her cataracts she thinks you are turning and pulls out into you.
Would scare the bejeezus out of me to ride one .

But each to their own I guess.

Ho Hum

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 06:48:54 »
That Betty, she get's around a bit.

I seem to encounter her on almost every ride, no matter if I am 20 miles from home, or 200.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 08:11:40 »
Joe, I'm not sure which model bike you have, so I didn't consult the relavent wiring diagram for your model?
As far as I know, the V-Strom turn signal / indicator has a two wire system to the bulb. Therefore, to power your proposed 21w / 5w dual filament bulb, you will require an extra wire to be pulled through to make it a three wire system, along with the appropriate indicator circuit switching relay (aux / running light off while indicator flashing). A question would be if there is enough space to allow the extra third wire to be pulled through the existing indicator stalk or whould you need a new setup and if a new setup will require a mod to mount in the existing position onto the current fairing position.
A two wire aux / running indicator light system would require an indicator circuit to be interrupted, once either side indicator is activated. Again an aftermarket indicator relay unit would be required.
For both aux / running indicator light systems you will have to determine whether the stock indicator lens cover can withstand the extra heat generated from the bulb being on for the longer duration.
There should be aftermarket kits available for whichever of the two options you choose to follow, if you do a search on Google.

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 12:56:25 »
Joe, it's a bit of an Americanism isn't it?
What do Stroms Stateside do, do they have constant lights in there as well as the indicator?
Upt.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 13:05:38 »
Yes siree. Usa idea dragged  over .some in US have combined brake and indicators too.

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 13:26:56 »
Quote removed

Our local MCC had a speaker recently who is an expert in being seen on a motorcycle. He said the amber indicator on type of drl are very effective, more so that running a pair of white drl. The data came from research into SMIDSY events. Food for thought.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 13:38:11 »
Interesting, I'm presuming  that was American  data.We,ve not had them long enough here to gather any.
In usa they are used to the set up,here not yet,drivers may not know what  they are looking  at here.

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 13:57:07 »
Not certain about the data source. He writes for mags, runs courses and gets involved with the government initiatives on motorcycling, so I presume well informed.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline Navalbadger

• Bike: GSX750es
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 18:32:59 »
Might get meesy without the correct qoutings, but anyway;

Yeah Nigel, just like the big boys have. Haha, good ol' Betty, in fact she's not the only one,
I've had 21 year old Fabian in his lowered-blacksmoking BMW overtake lorries right in my face. After which my mates said they often ride
with high beams on all day every day. People don't see us either way. But I get what you're saying.
Yeps Gert, I'm initially looking for the whole lamp with bulb sockets in which those small ones with dual-thread fits. Doing it with one-circuit
bulbs and circuit interruptions is like crazy-level dedication. We don't want that  :shock: But a simple 4 or 5 watt circuit either via a new relay or just tapped
into the current position lights circuit would do. Have found those from the first gen, but they look too different from the gen 2. I'm with the stock-police,
so visuals remain stock, most mods stay under the bonnet.
Haha Upt North, it is indeed! I think at least the second gen. is too old for the trend, even in America. In fact, I feel like in the automotive business
at least here in Norway we got it from Volvo. They started early with amber positionlights on the side of their bumpers. Then again; they might have it from
America. Oh well I'm rambling..
grumps that's interesting! Most newer BMWs, and also my comrades Honda have fog lights as standard which is usually on. Makes the bike stand out, and I don't find it
annoying in oncoming traffic either.

We'll see, as I said I like to keep it sock, thanks Upt but those are waayy too flashy and uh, gen-Z? for my taste. LED only where LED was originally. No offence anyone   :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Thanks for replying, I value all posts!  :bow-blue:

Offline nigel s

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 19:33:13 »
well said :thumb:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 21:16:03 »
For rear facing ..... my mates Harley Davidson has small round units that show tail stop and indicators. I've not seen anything like that for front lights. I had an NC750x Honda with always on front indicators. They made me very nervous for the reason stated by Nigel S
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Add

• Bike: V-Strom 650
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2023, 09:06:41 »
I've seen these on the Motel website, have been toying with the idea of trying them and the front drl's are white so they shouldn't confuse Betty!

https://www.motea.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2127848/s/sequential-led-indicators-motorcycle-bl17-lumitecs-with-brake-light-and-drl-4pcs-a150157-0/category/2/

Offline Vindiandy

• Bike: DL650A L2, Honda Varedero XL125
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2024, 19:14:52 »
I have something similar to the last poster, bought off Amazon along with the dropper resistors and looks the business imho

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.