Author Topic: Easy Start....No start!!  (Read 1738 times)

Offline haggetty

• Bike: DL1000 L9
Easy Start....No start!!
« on: August 13, 2019, 12:32:23 »
Any clues with this one anyone??

March 19 V-Strom 1000. After 1400 trouble free miles the machine failed initially to start.
Bike was in neutral, I know because I wheeled it around first. Ignition on, everything lit up and whirred and clicked as usual, pressed the starter button and nothing happened.
I think, but can't definitely remember, that the lights momentarily dimmed and that there was a click.
I think but cannot be sure that I pulled the clutch and tried again. Still the same.
I tried a bump start in second gear but this just locked the rear wheel. Expected though as the track was gravelly.
Sat there for a moment, pulled the clutch, tried again and it turned over and started.
Rode to work fine and parked up. Tested the (no clutch) easy start and it was fine.

Bit bizarre then, anyone else had this issue?
I can think of reasons for this....Neutral sensor, clutch switch, jammed starter etc but none explain all.
Over to you my learned chums for your thoughts....thanks

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
Re: Easy Start....No start!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:44:44 »
Something similar happened to me with my AL8, for me pressing the button resulted in nothing happening not even a click, I checked the battery voltage and didn't find any issues which prompted me to keep pressing the button while watching a multimeter to check voltage under load, suddenly the bike started after a few presses of the button, it turned out to be a faulty starter motor that was replaced under warranty.

It happened to me a few times and once while I was away from home I managed to get it started by mashing the button until something happened lol

Offline kingmunky

• Bike: DL650 L1
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 13:07:53 »
Same symptoms I just dealt with, albeit on an older Strom. Like above, sounds as thought it's the starter motor. If you get a click when pressing the starter, then the relay is OK, so try connecting the battery + directly to the starter motor terminal and see if it turns, if not the starter motor is broken. Another common one on older models is corroded terminals in the starter button, but as your's is new and you're getting the headlight dim and the relay click, it sounds like it's the motor.

Offline haggetty

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 14:47:06 »
I thought when it did start that he motor sounded like the battery was a bit weak! Seems like I'll have to get stranded somewhere before it gets sorted.
Thanks for your replies chaps.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 16:42:50 »
Mine is a 14 and it failed to start twice because of the earth connection on the back of the engine. All lights etc worked but nothing when you pushed the starter. I know this has been fixed, or so I thought with the recall and a 2019 bike should be fine but a mate has just had his 16 Veek fail to start, it was the earth even in it's new position. Maybe worth a try, it's behind the front sprocket cover. Good luck

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 17:14:05 »
Sounds like the time I left the park light on in about my second week of ownership. Pressed once - went click nothing. Second time it turned over very slowly twice, eventually fired and all bingo from there. Check the voltage on Your screen, make sure she's charging OK. I doubt its anything major, mine has been fine since. Otherwise go straight to dealer if returns.

You mentioned bump starting - I hate trying to bump start Big V's. I have only managed it once, on my SV1000 down a very steep dry hill and waiting until 15-20 mph before engaging. I could bump my old T350 in two steps.   
If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Online Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:40:47 »
If the battery does not have enough juice to prime the fuel pump, bump starting will not help. Easiest method of testing for a bad battery is to jump start from another battery. Just make sure that the ignition of vehicle providing the donor battery is not turned on at the time of donation or you may end up frying the electronics on both vehicles.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 12:11:12 »
Mine is the latest model DL1000 purchased September 2017. From time to time it simply wouldn't turn over. I make sure it's in neutral. Green "N" light is on and gear display shows "N" as well. If I squeeze the clutch, it turns over and fires up.
As this happens rarely, 2-3 times a month, I couldn't find anything related. All other times it turns over fine without squeezing the clutch. The bike is parked in the garage in very dry environment.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Paz324

• Bike: CB1000RAJ
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 12:32:49 »
Mine was the same as yours, bought in 2017 kept in a dry garage never had any major issues other than rarely refusing to start so I was surprised when my dealer told me the starter was faulty, when they found the issue Suzuki had the motors on back order so my dealer was forced to remove one from a 19 model in their showroom to replace mine.

Either Suzuki weren't expecting issues and didn't stock up, found an issue that forced them to pull the spare parts for modification or loads of bikes have had issues and they simply ran out of stock..

I strongly suggest anyone with starting issues report it to their dealers for diagnostics under warranty.

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 14:30:58 »
If it happens again this trick might help you determine if its the starter motor. And get you going again if it is.

Leave everything switched off. Put it in second gear, pull the clutch all the way to the bar. Then roll the bike gently backwards and release the clutch. You will hear the starter motor, its gears and one way clutch spin a little as the engine turns backwards onto compression. Then try to start your engine in the usual way.

Spinning the motor backwards a whisker gives its brushes and commutator that they connect with (rotating shaft bit down the middle of the motor) a chance to rearrange any poor contact they might have with each other. Please be aware that other poor connections/faults in the motor will not be found this way.

And bear in mind the following switches ALL have to be made (connected inside) to make the starter motor run. Might be an idea to make sure you give ALL these some regular exercise (they will make better connections as their internal contacts rub) if you can.

Clutch lever position switch, Starter Relay contacts, Starter button, Engine kill (stop) switch, Ignition switch and Side Stand relay. All those made and with either the Side Stand position or Gear Position (Neutral) switch made. Plenty to go at.

Exactly why a bike with well made electrics is such a dependable bit of kit. Which Suzuki's generally are.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline haggetty

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 08:45:51 »
Thanks for all your comments chaps. Much appreciated!

I have more info on the behaviour of my bike.

3 mornings on the trot this week, my bike failed to start whilst in neutral, and on those 3 occasions, simply pulling in the clutch enabled the bike to start, just like in the 'pre-easy start' days I guess.

Peculiarly, it behaves normally for the rest of the day when I return to the bike after work. ie starts without touching the clutch, as it should.

This morning, it refused to start until the clutch lever was pulled in (as is becoming usual) and off I went to work - a 6 mile ride.
When I arrived at work I switched off, then, as a test, and after 5 seconds or so (with the bike in neutral) I tried to re-start. This time it would not start! I Pulled the clutch lever and it started.

Tried again, same thing.

When the key is turned to the on position, like all modern bikes it correctly goes through its 'pre flight checks'. Fuel pump whirr, tacho sweep etc.

When the starting problem occurs, I push the starter and hear the whirring and clicking you'd expect, but just without the starter motor turning - which is why you can hear it I suppose.

This is different to when you try to start the bike in gear; when you press the starter, nothing, silence, - just as it should be.

So, I conclude that battery is fine, charging is fine and the starter motor is able to run, turn over the motor and start the engine. I don't think the ecu 'thinks the bike's in gear' since it behaves differently to when it actually is, ie whirring and clicking vs silence.

What is it about simply pulling the clutch that makes it turn over and start?
That's the puzzle. Interesting comments re the earth problem and the starter motor replacement.
I think a visit to the dealer is in order!

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 15:05:41 »
Sounds like even the ECU can't see the point of easy start and is reverting back to the good old days of pull in the clutch and press the button.

Joking aside the feature should work as described in the manual. Why it doesn't suggests that the ECU is not seeing a required input or some other vague piece of logic isn't allowing it to work. As you say, the dealer needs to scratch their head over it. Good luck.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline haggetty

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 15:17:38 »
I agree with your observation tallpaul! Thanks.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 18:46:06 »
So, I'm not alone with this "feature". My warranty expires in two weeks and I'll have to stop by my dealer to have my complain written down in case there's solution in the future.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)