Author Topic: Have any owners of the 800 felt vibrations on their bikes?  (Read 797 times)

Offline deecat

• Bike: 1050
Re: Have any owners of the 800 felt vibrations on there bikes?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2024, 08:02:13 »
The funny thing about the demo bike was that the vibrations were not that bad through the bars just noticeable on the levers.
I tend to suffer with high frequency vibes the most which has stopped me riding four cylinder bikes.

When I have the wife on the back I try to keep around speed limits which falls at 5000 revs on the bike ,so a sprocket change might help.

Regarding the Tracer 900 we had the very first model and I did not notice vibes on that ,just very dubious high speed handling,which they solved on later models.

One thing that did help me on one of my bikes was the gloves I was wearing were my normal size and I was getting numb hands so I bought the same gloves the next size up which felt a little bit slacker but cut down on the numb hands.

Like we all say what will effect one person will not bother another, I used Nc 700-750x  5 in total for commuting and never had a problem with vibes on any of them but some people on the Honda forum do.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Have any owners of the 800 felt vibrations on there bikes?
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2024, 11:43:01 »
More info,
If our cousins over the pond are doing it ,we won't be far behind .

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: Have any owners of the 800 felt vibrations on their bikes?
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2024, 20:28:17 »
De-cat'd bike are no longer Ulez compliant and all that power to drive at 20mph around the urban areas of Wales will maybe be a waste of the £3000 to £4000 that these mods cost. Or am I just a miserable old git?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline deecat

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2024, 20:52:47 »
I have been putting my bike back to almost standard today and it will be interesting to see which if any parts will fit the 800.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 04:31:10 »
Brockett,
It is the fact that more power is available I find interesting.Like the 650/1000/1050 it points to the 800 being understressed as std,which should be good for long term reliability.
It also means a tuner has some wiggle room to play about without LOOSING power on a std bike.
A good dyno operator/tuner can do what the rider wants,be it more bhp or more mpg .Or filling in holes in the torque curve making it more rideable.Even on an otherwise std bike there are usually gains to be had in throttle control and rideability.
Track Electronics ( my local bloke ,and a bloody clever one, Hello John ) charge £350 for a custom reflash with as many dyno runs as needed .Not too bad if it gets rid of the vibes (time will tell, but the vibes coming in at the same time as the torque starts to build may point to an answer)
Of course the manufacturers warranty is void if reflashed, so it may be a while before we see many 800s reflashed.
One of the reasons for me not wanting an 800 was lack of back up in the accessory / suspension market yet.
But it is a good bike so I am sure that will come in time.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2024, 07:49:26 »
Yes nigel, I agree with everything you said. Only time will tell if  the rest of the bike is robust enough to deliver 20% more power over a prolonged period. It will surely mean chain sprockets and tyre wear will also increase by 20%.  I do feel the bike should be vibration free and if that means less power then so be it. As an Essex Suffolk and Norfolk rider there are very few dual carriageways and only one motorway M11 ( M25 is an overcrowded roundabout) There's not many fast roads with enough space in the traffic to get to a legal 70mph and so for me, where I ride, I'd rather have better suspension than a more powerful engine. Over the years complaints about the DL650 from the Wee onwards have been about  forks, brakes and some finishes but never about lack of power.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2024, 12:46:14 »
I test road the 800 some time ago. It was only a 45 minute ride with a lead rider. We road mostly B roads (that I would ride every day on my 650) and a short section of 70mph A road. I have to confess, I enjoyed the ride so much I never even noticed (or remember) any vibration that was cause for concern.

Maybe I'm not a fussy rider and just ride what's between my legs (stop it) but I loved the 800 and the reason I didn't buy one was because of the cost and they were new out so no low mileage, fully loaded used ones on the market so decided to wait. When it came to the point where I couldn't wait any longer I found a 1000 that fitted the bill at the right price and bought it.

I would still consider a 800 at some time in the future and if I found that it vibrated at a given speed then I would ride just above it. Sorted.  :thumb: :auto-dirtbike:

I have had a couple of BMW R100GS's, they vibrated mostly at 70mph (on the clock) so I rode at 80mph
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline deecat

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2024, 15:51:39 »
When I am on my own I could and would use the revs above the vibration zone but with the wife on the back I do try to keep to speed limits ish.

She understands that I prefer to get past cars as soon as I can and not to hang around on the wrong side of the road so upper speeds are OK for a short while.

She has done well only starting to go on bikes at 50 and we have done many a holiday including two around Europe so I am happy to spend our time together and if the new bike has an issue for me I will look to solve it or slow down :)