Author Topic: The long awaited trip to Scotland.  (Read 2602 times)

Offline 650XT Pete

• Bike: DL650XT
The long awaited trip to Scotland.
« on: September 15, 2019, 17:05:13 »
I have just been on my long awaited trip to Scotland with two other members from this forum.  Me ,Andy and Carl set off for a whistle stop tour of Scotland. I didn't go all the  way and missed out on doing Applecross for the third time. Hopefully going to get the chance to still do it in the next few years as I am in my 70s and can't wait too long. I hope you will enjoy my account of the trip.
Thanks for watching Pete.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: The long awaited trip to Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 21:47:59 »
Very nice video, Pete, thanks for posting :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 22:02:27 »
Yes Pete, a well made video.  :clap:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Ticker

• Bike: 2019 - DL1000 AL8
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 19:37:55 »
Hello Pete,

:text-goodpost: thanks for sharing with us. What a fantastic hobby we have and it's made better by having great company. Looks like you chaps had a whale of a time. Brilliant!

Offline Mep

• Bike: DL1000GT K8
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 19:41:53 »
Nice one Pete  :thumb: I'll add some photos soon and let you all know what Andy & I made of our epic 2 day ride to Durness and back. I've yet to wade through all the photos I took with my bike mounted camera yet.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 20:09:30 »
A nice video Pete, thanks for taking the time to do it. Being Scottish and a real fan of (most of) our roads I recognise many on your film. The view towards the bridge in Inverary is particularly fresh in my memory as my wife and me had a night in the Inverary Inn a couple of weeks ago and that was the view from the bedroom window.

A shame about the rain, it can be a real pain and if the rain isn't enough there's always the midges to wear you down further.

You'll just have to keep coming back, the sun does sometimes shine and when it does there's nowhere else I'd rather be than the North West.  :sunny:

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 20:14:18 »
That was a great video Pete :clap:
Looks like the 3 of you have a great trip, and Andy and Carl riding up to Durness  :clap: and it was nice of josh to meet you all for the ride home  :text-goodpost:

Offline Froglodyte

• Bike: DL650X L0, Yamaha FJR1300A
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 09:45:09 »
Nice video Pete. What editing program did you use?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 13:02:13 »
It wasn't rain, it's us showing our generosity and sharing water with you as we know the reservoirs can get a bit low in Englandshire...  :thumb:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline 650XT Pete

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 19:46:40 »
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks.
@Froglodyte, the editing program I used is Video editor that is installed on my windows 10 laptop. Just a simple story board with basic editing. Otherwise it gets too complicated for me.
@ Mr Nick , Yes it was quite wet. I'm normally a dry weather rider and it was biblical at times. My bike will never be the same again. Fine grit thrown up with the flooded roads has knackered all the locks on the panniers.  :groan:

Offline Mep

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 23:24:11 »
To add to Pete's Video I can give a brief description of the trip and fill in the 2 days Pete wasn't with us when we went to Durness.

Day 1 (for me). A 375 mile motorway marathon from Torquay to Carlisle. It only rained with some sharp showers on the last leg. Regular stops and listening to music through my headset kept me going, as well as looking forward to the trip ahead.

Day 2. Carlisle to Fort William. After a brief motorway stretch we went through Wanlockhead, which was a great start. Then via Kilmarnock and Irvine before heading up the coast to catch the ferry to Dunoon, where the Highlands were looking very inviting. The route then went via Inverary, Dalmally, Tyndrum and Glen Coe before our stop at Glen Nevis. We only got caught in a handful of short showers.

Day 3. Fort William to Durness. Andy & myself left Pete, and the rain, and headed towards Inverness along the length of Loch Ness which seems to go on for ever. Then up to Lairg for the best panini in Scotland. The run from Lairg to Tongue was great. Flowing empty roads in a remote landscape with scenery that got better with each mile. The final stretch from Tongue to Durness was quite twisty and the rain came down which didn't help with the visibility as I looked quite dramatic on the north coast. Later the rain cleared and it was a lovely evening in Durness. I took an evening walk with Anouk, my new bunkhouse buddy from the Netherlands.

Day 4. Durness to Fort William. It was a cracking morning and we set of bright and early. Wow, what a quality ride that was. The scenery was amazing and blew us away. from sandy lochs to rugged mountains it had it all, as well as next to no traffic. The ride to Kylesku bridge was the highlight of the trip for both of us. Then on through Unapool, Ullapool, Garve and on to Lochcarron. We decided we were going to do the Applecross pass. It was still dry but the clouds were low and it wasn't going to be the scenic event we were hoping for. The pass was in the clouds, the roads were wet and the visibility not good. I approached it with an open mind but was quite surprised at the tight downhill hairpins. Not for the faint hearted. We survived and enjoyed some great chips at the chippy wagon. After much discussion, and to the amusement of a German tourist we got chatting to, we agreed to go back around the coast road. This proved to be a good choice as it was dry and very scenic. The final run back was disrupted by quite a lot of rain.

Day 5. Fort William to Carlisle. Josh joined us the night before and planned to ride with us to and then make his way after the ferry from Dunoon. The rain was relentless for most of the morning with some respite at Inverary. This time we took the coast road to Connel. It cleared up nicely for the ferry but more rain was in the horizon in our direction. We followed to same route back but lost Pete at a busy junction and due to some other navigational issues didn't see him until a few miles out of Carlisle on the rain drenched motorway. Andy kindly upgraded us to a lodge at Roman Walls which was very much appreciated.

Day 6. We all departed our separate ways. I went for a morning tour of the Lake District and took in Wast Water and the Hardknott pass. The weather was mixed but stopped by lunchtime whan I took on my 2nd mountain pass. Was this going to be any easier than Applecross? No, not really. The road surface was worse in places and wet ascending but dry descending. The hairpins were just as bad and some seemed steeper. I survived this one too and am in no rush to do either again soon. The weather cleared for the afternoon and I had fantastic ride through the West Yorkshire Dales. It was dry, sunny and much warmer, plus I had the roads practically to myself. My route took in Sedberg, Hawes and Grassington before heading to Keighley for the night.

Day 7. A quick trip through the Peak District. The weather was quite bad a first but did clear by lunchtime and a stop in Bakewell. Then a mainly motorway blast to Great Malvern to stay with my brother.

Day 8. A short motorway blast home. The only day it didn't rain! 1910 miles later I got home and was shattered.

What a week though. I'm so glad that Andy set this up as I wasn't planning on going to Scotland until next year.

Some photos to augment Pete's video.

Offline 650XT Pete

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 19:31:13 »
Carl that's a fantastic right - up. Filling in the gaps only makes me more determined to get back as soon as possible. I enjoyed the coastal route and will go that way again with a bit more exploring.

Online MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 19:45:02 »
 Good Pictures and Report - Thanks to both of you :thumb:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 20:26:56 »
Yes I agree great write up and pictures  :thumb:

Offline Mep

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 21:52:45 »
Glad you enjoyed my write up and photos. A couple more for you. Balnakeil Beach in the sunset and the mountains near kylesku bridge.

Pete, that fine grit was a PITA to clean from my bike too. It was really bad on the exhaust pipes facing the rear wheel. Most of Sunday was spent cleaning my bike. I hope you sort your pannier locks.

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 21:48:55 »
Stunning pictures and video look's like a great time was add. :thumb:

Offline Mep

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 22:24:52 »
It was great and felt like an endurance event at times. Except for 1 day we did well with the weather considering . At the last minute we swapped the routes for the Durness loop which worked well. A few more photos for you. Kilburn castle behind us on Loch Awe. Glen Coe, again which is spectacular, my bike at Kylescu bridge but looking the other way and Dornie castle.

Offline Andy_J

• Biker since 1979
  • Biking since 1979 Lincolnshire
  • Bike: Vstrom 650, Transalp 750, z750s, Triumph Thunderbird 900.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 19:15:31 »
I really enjoyed your company Carl & Pete & Josh. And it was my pleasure to organise. What an epic tour.

Pete-fantastic video. Carl-great write up and photos. Glad you both enjoyed the pods and especially the cabin I upgraded us to. Great final night meal in that pub too.

Oh and Carl (Jean-Luc) you didn't mention the bike drop............ :icon_wink:  :ty: Or the time you rode out of Glen Nevis because you had forgot to attach your rill bag to your bike.  :grin:

Picos next for me. I'm starting to plan it now.
Lincolnshire Biker. I enjoy touring and exploring. I love motorcycle camping.

Offline Mep

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2019, 23:03:26 »
Andy. Thanks for your post.  I'll have great memories of our trip and the company we kept.

I was hoping I got away with my bike drop but trust you to bring it up   :roll:. You'll be pleased to know that my replacement lens and bulb kit from eBay was waiting for me when I got home and was fitted ASAP. I did wonder if anyone might see on the video that I didn't have my big banana rolltop bag on when we left Glen Nevis. I might as well mention you leaving your helmet at the bunkhouse, although at least you wouldn't have got 1/4 mile down the road without it. All in all we made a good team and got through it together.

I hope you are going to sort your chain and sprockets out cos that chain was well gone. My adjustable spanner has never seen so much action  :fix:. I'll be looking to replace mine too fairly soon.

Good to see some more of your photos. Enjoy planning your Picos trip which sounds great. Make sure your Sat Nav app is working and you bring a map for the trip :grin:

It's thirsty work all this typing. I think I need a nice cup of Earl Grey. Any chance you could make it so number 1?

Another photo for you all on the Hardknott pass on my long way home.