Author Topic: HJC I90 Flip helmet  (Read 2669 times)

Offline steveg

• Bike: DL1050
HJC I90 Flip helmet
« on: April 11, 2022, 09:54:51 »
Hi All

Need to replace my worn out caberg duke 2

Tried on a HJC I90 flip helmet , great fit for me and really impressed with quality and good price

Never owned a HJC before any one got one , any good ?

Also thinking of going for a fluorescent yellow ( my bike is black ) so would be good for extra visabilty

Normally use a white helmet , but thinking of a fluorescent yellow this time ?

Cheers Steve

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Re: HJC I90 Flip helmet
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 12:55:56 »
I saw a test on various helmets some years ago after the standards for helmets was changed. It shocked me to see that some of the cheaper helmets tested better than the most expensive. I do think it would be difficult to buy a bad helmet these days and as I said, cost doesn't seem to be the deciding factor.

I ware a Shoei Neotec 2, it's very comfortable, not too heavy and does everything perfectly well but who knows if it would save me in a crash? I do think it's a good idea to ware a quality brand that is trusted by the top GP riders who probably put them to the test more often than most of us and if you look after your helmet it will last many years.

The choice is yours and quite often it comes down to cost, comfort and for some, the colour or style.

The Sportsbikeshop online usually have very good prices. I can't recommend them enough even though I have no connection except for being a happy customer.

Good luck with your choice.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 13:35:34 »

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 16:05:22 »
Love my RPHA 90 but it's all about fit at the end of the day.
If it fits you nicely then I've had no issue with the build quality in the 3 years I've had it, I did upgrade the Pinlock insert to the Pinlock 120 for better fog resistance but otherwise it's been a great buy. Was easy to fit comms to as well thanks to easily removable liner and nice large diameter speaker recesses.

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 00:14:05 »
I’m also in the market for a new helmet. I was thinking a Schuberth C3 pro and I managed to try one on today but the I didn’t like the fit. I also tried a Nolan 100-5 and a HJC i90 and as much as I liked the Nolan I thought it was a bit tight and I didn’t like the chin release mechanism or the under chin buckle. Seemed over complex to me. And then I tried on a HJC i90 and it fitted like a glove.

As Mr Rixingron said, it’s all about the fit.

I also like the idea that the HJC is already prepped for the Smart HJC audio, which means less faffing about, plus you end up with a discreet and pretty good audio system.

I think I’m also sold on the HJC. The problem with helmets is that you can go round and round looking at lots of options. I could just about afford a Schu but it didn’t fit. The Shoei is out of my reach money wise, as I’d sooner put the money I save towards petrol for later in the year. But that’s just me. Looks like a HJC, then…
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 02:03:55 »
My relative has a HJC i90. I've got a HJC C70. My relative loves it, comes with a pinlock insert, speaker cut outs, etc. You may notice a bit more chin room in the i90 compared to the Duke 2 (my chin touches the chin bar on the Duke 2...)

Offline steveg

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 20:33:22 »
Ordered a size M & L

I measure a 59 but sadly fit of either is not good for me

Really sad as looked a great helmet for the price

Off to a sportsbikeshop in Birmingham to get advice and try lots of different makes on as definitely all about the fit

Cheers Steve

Offline StewieGGriffin

• Bike: DL650 K4
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 15:41:24 »
I have just bought the Schuberth C5 and although I’ve not had much time out with it yet I have to say - I’m absolutely sold.

I’d heard the C3 and C4 could be a slightly dodgy fit but the C5 is a little more customisable with I think eight internal pads that can be change to suit head shape/shell size. I have the SC2 comms set being delivered soon which integrates into the helmet.

I’ve found already that straight from the box it is comfortable, venting is brilliant, and it comes with Pinlock 120 fitted. Waiting for a bad weather day to see how it holds up.

It’s also the highest safety rated flip-front on the market at the moment although I expect the likes of the Neotech will be brought up to speed in short order.

Offline Champy72

• Bike: Triumph Tiger Explorer, MRE Norton Commando classic racing sidecar, Suzuki V-Strom DL 650 2019
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 13:18:13 »
I have been wearing an LS2 Arrow (non-flip) for racing the sidecar, as it has a very large vertical view through the visor, so when laying down on the outfit, I don't have to bend my neck so far!
Bought one for the road bike as well as they are comfortable as well as lightweight.
Probably will need to replace soon, but no idea what to try next. Don't need internal visor (I have bi focal sunglasses! Look at Amazon), and never been too sure of flip helmets due to noise at speed, although I found them very useful when I taught CBT.
Decisions, decisions!!!!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...

Offline Artyman

• Bike: 2014 DL1000 & Yamaha 250
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 19:52:02 »
I’ve had nearly 6 weeks with my HJC i90 and I’m really happy with it. It’s much better than my Duke II. It fits great and is very comfortable, even wearing it for six or seven hours a day when touring. The visor is good, with a great field of vision, and it is much quieter than the Duke II. The noise difference between the two helmets is noticeable, though the HJC is still noisy above 70 which I suppose is the same for all helmets.

The only niggles I have are the cheek pads are still quite solid so they push my cheeks so I look a bit like a Hampster… I’m sure that will resolve itself once they start to ‘give’. Also, the front flips up and down really easy. Much easier than the Duke. My biggest niggle is the chin-strap. It has a soft cotton sleeve around it which is awkward as it never sits under your chin. I’ve just pushed it back and out of the way.

I also bought the 10b integral Bluetooth setup, which was easy enough to install, but even though it’s a Sena, I think the cardo on my other helmet is slightly better for sound quality and much better when using Siri/Google. The cardo is more reactive. The software for the 10b/Sena is completely crap and so far I haven’t managed to get it working or talking to my phone, whereas the cardo app is a breeze and is really good. I wanted to get the 10b app working so I can update the firmware, but seeing that I can’t get the app to work it seems that will never happen.

My biggest niggle with the 10b is that the buttons on the 10b are awkward to use, even with summer gloves and just non-existent when wearing winter gloves. To remedy this I’ve put a small blob of Sugru on top of each button and moulded each blob into a small volcano (or a big zit) and now I don’t have any problems using the 10b. I could still operate the 10b if I was drunk and blindfolded.

Sugru - the bodgers friend….

But, one area where the Sena beats the Cardo is battery life. It says 10 hours and I would fully agree with that. Also, charging is really easy. On the whole I am extremely happy with the helmet. It looks good, it’s comfortable and having the 10b (with the Sugru mod) has closed the loop with regards to comfort and functionality. Would I buy another one if I lost my helmet…? Yes, I would.
Never let your karma run over your dogma...

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 22:56:51 »
Nice.. I have been looking at a new helmet.. (but what with new textile gear and then a new to me Strom which I have of course spent a bit on... I am skint again. Ha ha ha..
As for HJC, my 17 year old niece has been racing with HJC helmets for a while and unfortunately has crash tested then a couple of times... She is still racing mad,..
https://lissywhitmoreracing.co.uk/

. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpJiKOwIRwHxrTc_ZIG_fRA

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 16:58:45 »
I've had a couple of HJC helmets over the years and they have been very good quality. I must admit they haven't been entry level lids but easily on a par with AGV, Nolan, Shark etc for build quality. In fact, I have just lashed out on an HJC 90s in gloss white to match my tigger  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 19:49:23 »
I was wearing a HJC  helmet for the first time while riding my then, BMW. I bought the helmet as a birthday present to myself and got a good deal too.

Strait away it was comfortable, gave perfect visibility, quiet, well just perfect really although it was not a flip front, that I couldn't be without now. On the day I got it I wore it riding Goodwood race track, anyway next day I was rounding a roundabout when a nice chap in his car decided he should run into the back of me, putting me in hospital and writing off my bike.
I was lucky as I only had two broken hands, one of them open and requiring pins, since removed.

The last thing I remember seeing was a road sign coming towards me. When I woke up (I think it was seconds later but I don't really know) I took my helmet off and picked up my bike, yes, with two broken hands. My helmet had a crack in the vizor and it was scuffed all the way through in places.

My head was okay, not like the doctor noticed. The helmet I was carrying was in such a mess and he could see it. I had just been run off my bike and he didn't think to check my head and neck until I asked him to?

The helmet definitely saved me from a very bad place. HJC are excellent.    :text-goodpost: :thumb:

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2022, 18:29:15 »
Love my RPHA 90 but it's all about fit at the end of the day.
If it fits you nicely then I've had no issue with the build quality in the 3 years I've had it, I did upgrade the Pinlock insert to the Pinlock 120 for better fog resistance but otherwise it's been a great buy. Was easy to fit comms to as well thanks to easily removable liner and nice large diameter speaker recesses.
Did you fit the HJC Smart 10B comms? if so would you recommend it? thanks.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2022, 18:56:58 »
Mine is an older model without the option of integrated Comms. I run a Cardo Packtalk which I love, plenty of room for upgrade speakers and easy liner removal is all I can really tell you I'm afraid.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2022, 19:23:21 »
Integrated comms are all very well until you change helmets.