Author Topic: hi folks, some q's  (Read 2049 times)

Offline yospeh

Re: hi folks, some q's
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 15:51:10 »
strommer that's a great link, there's at least two bikes there that look to have fairing side panels that are tank shape and not connecting to the headlamp unit.  which is what I'm looking for  :occasion-balloons:

good comments chaps about handlebars being widest, I find they go over or below vehicles mirrors.  If you're interested; when I tip my bike side to side to clear my bars over or below their mirrors I don't want the width of a screen and fairing reducing the available room.

having said that maybe I should / would just adjust my ride and not paddle through the gridlock and therefor not get so close to other vehicles to start with.

I've got the DL1000 as a good contender and I've moved onto a husqvarna nuda900. but the price of a newish one ofthem and I'd have to consider so many others I' overlooked as too expensive. so then I looked at bimma f800  :groan:  but no I'm not quite there yet....

thankyou strommerssssssssss :obscene-drinkingchug:

Offline Strommer

Re: hi folks, some q's
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 18:57:37 »
I nearly skinnied my bike - but the roadworks that were causing me issues finally ended.

On my list were:

- Raise handlebars (they already go over most wing mirrors - but when the muffs are on it gets a it hairy) - haven't done it yet
- Lengthen handlebar cables (a necessity if you raise the bars - haven't done this yet
- Cut and inch off the bars - didn't bother in the end as height is more of an issue
- Replace the indicators with flush ones - I've whacked these in those very tight filters where you have to lean the bike left and right and walk it through - will still do this one day
- Remove pillion pegs (these can scrape when you try to go across a line of traffic by wiggling across the front of a car then straightening up in the next lane) - I didn't do this since the pegs also act as crash bungs
- fit crash bars (did that)
- Fit padding on the crash bars

One advantage of going thinstrom is the extra visibility you get of the front quarters and also of course improved ease of maintenance and making the bike less nickable.

I think you should go for it as this site doesn't yet have a thinstrom.

A disgrace to biking...