Author Topic: ECU warranty replacement  (Read 83856 times)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
ECU warranty replacement
« on: October 20, 2015, 22:44:56 »
Following on from the TRE throttle thread, I wanted to create a dedicated thread on the ECU replacements which seem to be slowly rolling out. Thanks and I mean a very grateful thanks to members and dealers uniting in the reporting and sharing of information resulting in action being taken by Suzuki on ECU replacements, particularly members lifebiker and bosnjo . I received a call today from my Dealer, five ways of Hull, who have taken an interest in the ECU issues and after a lot of discussions and chasing of Suzuki  have today confirmed they will be replacing the ECU on my Veek with the revised "02" part number a week this Friday. Judging by other riders reports I'm looking forward to the revised ride :)

Offline Kevinc

• Bike: VStrom DL1000 Adventure, Royal Enfield 500 Bullet
Re: ECU warranty replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 16:17:51 »
Hi Roadrocket,

I am a bit new to this topic, have only had my V-Strom 1000 for 3 weeks.  Is this a problem across all 1000's, and if so, should I be contacting my dealer to see if they are aware of the problem?

Do you know if it is likely to be a recall, or whether only those people who complain will be dealt with? 

I am not even sure what symptoms I should be looking for, as I have only done 100 miles so far, and haven't noticed anything odd.

Thanks

Kevin   

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 17:01:26 »
Hi Kevin,
   Hope your enjoying your new bike, Like your self I'm in E Sussex , did you buy yours at groombridge motors Heathfield?
   I've put 4 k on mine in under a year and seem to be one of the lucky
  Ones ie no lurching or stalling and am loving it .
   However if there is a new Ecu on offer I'm minded to push for it whilst it's under warranty.
   If you fancy  a ride and compare session  get in touch
       Atb Mark  :)

Offline Kevinc

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 20:45:35 »
Hi Mark

Yes, got mine from JWG. Happy to meet up.

Kevin

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 20:54:31 »
Hi Kevinc I think this only applies to the first batch of Veeks when they were introduced. Some riders have had more stalling low speed issues than others, ( see the TRE throttle issue thread) . I've had the occasional stall and kind of become used to keeping the revs up and slipping the clutch at low speed, like Kevin above overall I've done 7500 miles on mine in year it's a joy to ride, other than a little tricky at low speed. My dealer wasn't aware of the issue and I raised it, they then took it upon themselves to find out more, hence I then received a call saying there is warranty bulletin on certain ecus. As soon as I find out more I'll update the thread. My advice is if the bike feels good then don't worry. But it all seems down to the part number of the ecu fitted to your bike whether it is changed. This isn't a recall as such not yet anyway..but more for riders who have low speed running issues. If anyone else has any input please let us know.

Offline Kevinc

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 22:23:54 »
Hi Roadrocket

Many thanks, very helpful indeed. I don't seem to have any issues at the moment, so I will monitor things as I do more miles.

Kevin

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 22:27:26 »
No worries, enjoy the bike I always look forward to jumping on mine :)

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 19:43:04 »
Thanks to Roadrocket for the endorsement  :whistle: if anyone wants advice on this issue I am happy to help just PM me  :old:

Offline smidster68

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 12:46:59 »
I've a 2015 and find it terrible at low speeds .Is the issue only with older models.?

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 14:06:17 »
I asked my dealer about this and they recommended I email Suzuki as they've heard nothing. I emailed Suzuki last Wednesday.....

Offline Timmo

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 17:13:02 »
I can't believe this is still going on,just one paper article on this and Suzuki would be crying their eyes out.

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 15:26:33 »
I'm riding my Veek to the dealer this Friday (in the rain...) for some warranty work and an annual service. The issue with the ECU as far as I can make it reading between the lines is stalling at low engine rpm and spitting back through the airbox which appears to be from very lean running. I've had these issues although I've adapted my throttle control to suit by slipping the clutch when maneuvering at low speed. Big V twins are known for their lumpy low rpm running, but stalling and misfiring is something else. The TL1000 engine was designed and built for power. A friend of mine test rode a Ducati Multistrada it too a big V, which has different riding modes. The dealer explained he would find it hard to ride in sport mode around town as the engine is just too torquey. Out of interest he kept the bike in sport mode and did manage although he had to have a gentle throttle and clutch control. I'm thinking having different riding modes on the Veek to control the ignition/timing to suit the conditions would be a good idea. Having ridden a Wee for 6 years and having had the Veek a year now the big 1000 is certainly not a low speed bike but an absolute animal on the open road. I've learned to live with it the riding the Veek at low speeds and to be honest its not that much of a big deal for me. I also ride a DR250 daily to work and if I wanted a bike to ride around town and potter about I would probably stick with the Wee or Glee. But load it up, 2up and head for some big miles the Veek is like a Wee on Steroids. I'll post a reply when I return after the warranty work has been undertaken.  :thumb:

The service manager at Five Ways in Hull had to go the extra mile to obtain some information via the Suzuki UK rep. Dealers should be pushing Suzuki on their owners behalf. I was advised a bulletin was imminent in its release to Service centers regarding the ECU issue there is enough evidence to suggest there clearly is a problem, the question is for how many and what year models

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 18:29:16 »
I was at my dealers today,  they've never heard of an ecu problem r replacement!  Surprise Surprise! !

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 07:31:41 »
Well they have now!

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 11:06:34 »
Five-Ways of Hull excellent service - like so many other dealers they too were not aware of any EPI (ECU) problems but they took it up directly with Suzuki to find out more - resulting in a new EPI fitted under manufacturers warranty. This appears to be more a warranty issue than a recall.

After receiving the Veek back from Five-Ways Motorcycle centre at Hull and ridden back home to Scarbados the bike feels totally different. Granted an oil change will certainly add to the smoothness the general ride is a beautiful one, smooth, gentle yet open the throttle and the rpm pulls strongly and linearly right up to 9K  - the timing feels a little more advanced, part throttle crusing is much smoother and the MPG is reading better too. Usually when I ride into a village from 60mph to 30mph I have to drop the gears and bimble through in either 2nd or 3rd gear as 4th is a little too low rpm causing the motor to stutter / labour. The new EPI seems to have cured this to my surprise I can bimble around in 4th at 30mph very smoothly. Like other owners have reported the bike sounds a little quieter from the exhaust - bearing in mind I have fitted a Fuel Diablo Silencer. I would compare the Veek now feeling very similiar to the 650 Vs smoothness, yet with lazy torque when you need it.

For info the EPI Manufacturers part no fitted to the Veek is 32920-31J02-000 price £564.23 I think the difference in EPI's is the numbers after the J.

If your Veek feels like a dog at low speed / low gear riding, an EPI change is most certainly worth looking into.  :thumb:

Offline Roadrocket

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 12:35:30 »
After getting nothing more than a fob off from Suzuki when I forwarded the early posts about this issue, and now getting no response at all, I have written to various motorcycle press offices to see if they want to pick the story up.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 14:06:35 »
You must be blacklisted FR for not buying a few of them by now...  :grin:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 14:54:14 »
Nope, this is one bike that I won't be buying any time soon. In a couple of years if one pops up (with all the bugs fixed and fully depreciated), I may let it pass through the man cave revolving door  :)
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 17:44:08 »

Certainly needs some clarification on the issue. Seems the Germans are ahead of us in this matter, given the number of Veeks that have the EPI swap done. Its looking more like the L4s were the Guinea pigs! Still love mine , wouldn't change it.