Author Topic: Applecross 3  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Hessy

• Bike: DL1000 K6
Applecross 3
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:11:51 »
I have put two other short vids of riding to Applecross but I wanted to put this one of me riding back over the opposite way  as I think it really shows how steep and twisty the road really is....

Offline CharlitTee

• Bike: 2016 VStrom 650 L5; 2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
Re: Applecross 3
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 16:18:40 »
Another fine video, Hessy, with cracking views of the Inner Sound, Raasay and Skye beyond. Seems you had unusually good weather too. I have to say, though, I felt sorry for the cyclists pedalling like fury up the Beallach. Made my legs ache just thinking about it. 

So much more to see up there. The Road to the Isles, the Seven Sisters - all magnificent stuff. I hope next year’s trip works out.

Charlie.
If a man knows he’s a hero, he can always find a dragon to fight even if the dragon’s asleep and minding its own business.

Offline Hessy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 07:48:47 »
Thanks again Charlie,
I have taken note off all the places you suggest and want to see them all.
I never actually got to Skye as it was the "Fairy pools" at Sky that my wife found out about from someone on facebook and when we googled images of them we couldn't believe how beautiful they looked but my wife wasn't well enough bless her to go on such short notice and such a long ride in just two days... 1260 miles (I went to isle of Mull and oban on way back home.
Have you been to the Fairy Pools ? I have spoken to lots of people who have been to Sky on there bikes who have never heard of them !!

Offline CharlitTee

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:12:55 »
Sorry Hessy, no I’ve not seen the Fairy Pools. And I’ve got to say that Skye isn’t my favourite place. Its character changed when they got the bridge and the place is awash with tourists, so much so that many locals are now complaining about the strains on the island’s services and accommodation facilities. And it’s not called the Misty Isle for no reason. But it’s one of those places that draws people because of its romantic image and the Bonny Prince association. Worth seeing the once though. 
If a man knows he’s a hero, he can always find a dragon to fight even if the dragon’s asleep and minding its own business.

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 17:34:18 »
Great video  :thumb:
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline Hessy

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 10:41:10 »
Thank you Greham62.

Charlie, I know its a great shame about Skye and I have even heard that the owners of Applecross Inn have stopped advertising as they are inundated with tourists etc and the North Coast 500 route has upset a few people but also a lot of businesses welcome it. Makes me want to buy some land just off the North coast 500 and make a camp site and say "All Bikers welcome " I'm sure it would make money... a couple of years ago there was a property on the north tip of the NC500  it was a 3 Bed Bungalow with a small lake with jetty sat in 55 acres Yes 55 acres of land and it was on Ebay for offers around £160,000 Unbelievable.
If a few Bikers got together and bought some land!!!

Offline CharlitTee

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:51:38 »
Hessy, yes there’s great tension up there between some of the indigenous population (the crofters), the incomers (mainly English) and the new generation Highlanders who see potential but can’t realise it because of resistance to change. And before anybody gets involved in buying property up there they need to thoroughly understand the implications of crofting legislation and the patterns of land ownership. The Laird and the Estate and the Kirk are still powerful forces in the Highlands, as are Common Grazings Committees and the Crofting Commission.  And if anybody mentions to you The Clearances, you’d be well advised to get back on your bike and ride on.

I’ll pm you shortly

Charlie