Author Topic: OEM Screen Material  (Read 2089 times)

Offline curzmic

OEM Screen Material
« on: January 29, 2011, 15:36:59 »
Can someone let me know what the original screen is made from, as mine has a lot of surface scratches that I am desperate to get rid of.

Thanks in anticipation :)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: OEM Screen Material
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 22:31:15 »
Not a 100% sure, but I think it is acrylic (aka Plexiglas.) The type of acrylic used is probably Impact Modified Acrylic that will not shatter if hit by a rock or in a crash.

If you are looking for something to polish it with, check Ebay auction # 350219704475, Autosol makes a plastic scratch remover. I bought some to take some scratches out of my stock Windscreen , but haven't become around to it (not using it at the moment.) If you are interested to know if/how well it works I can try it out sometime and let you know.

ps. I see this is your first post, you might want to post an introduction in that part of the forum, and  :welcome:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline curzmic

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 23:13:54 »
Juvecu,

I've done a little research on the Internet since the post and, if the screen is polycarbonate then it will need a very fine grade cutting paste.

I've have this evening just polished the screen with near toothpaste (another Internet suggestion).  This has removed the original scratches a treat!!!!! The down side is that there is a slight swirling effect in certain lighting  across the screen.  I will now investigate further and will experiment with watering down the toothpaste to see if I can it to a clear consistency across the screen.

The screen is a hundred time better that the start point, but there is room for improvement.

Once I've perfected it, I'll post my findings and process

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 00:50:58 »
The reason I think the screen is acrylic rather than polycarbonate is because polycarbonate absorbs water over time and then the screen eventually goes 'cloudy'. We are in a very wet country and since I've never seen anyone complain or mention this on the forum I figure it's acrylic.

The thing about scratches is that they reflect the light differently than the surrounding good surfaces (this is why you see them.) Autosol also fills in the scratches so that this doesn't happen, toothpaste won't do that for you. At least this is what they claim, I don't know as I haven't tried it yet.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 18:24:41 »
If you've got the scratches down to almost invisble, try some Mr. Sheen and a duster. This will hopefully fill any tiny occlusions that are left.