Author Topic: Rain suit you can get on...  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Timo

Rain suit you can get on...
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:35:33 »
I've got some quite good stuff from Hein Gericke that, for the most part, keeps me dry. On Thursday morning I arrived at work like a drowned rat. Same thing returning home on Friday - even down to my Y-fronts (I know, tmi). The time has come to buy a rain suit to go over the top. The last time I tried one on some years back I ended up doing a dance around the dealers like some possessed devil in an attempt to get the thing on. It ended up with the assistant forcing me into it like an attendant in an asylum forcing an unfortunate inmate into a strait jacket. I decided that the likelihood of stopping and attempting to do the same by the side of the A3 would probably result in me not bothering.

Any advice on pure rain suits that actually CAN BE PUT ON over normal riding gear?
And one piece or two piece?

Suggestions urgently needed before I have to endure another day of quiet steaming which slightly takes my mind off work...

Cheers!

Offline PHIL FAT

Re: Rain suit you can get on...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:13:11 »
I went for the 2 peice suit from hein gericke easy peasy to put on tried the one piece and fell over in the shop lol
very embarrising but what the hell
Too Old To Die Young

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:38:26 »
Dancing about and then falling over is pretty much the norm in my experience. One piece suits are likely to be the most waterproof and therein lies the problem. If they fit properly over your normal riding gear without flapping in the wind, you'll have to get used to dancing and falling over. Get one that's easy to get into and it'll flap terribly in the wind. The choice is yours....

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:29:36 »
I use a cheap and cheerful all in one suit from Richa (£30 delivered from sportsbikeshop.co.uk). I bought a size too big and it's a joy to get on and off even over my boots  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline gromit

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 16:09:58 »
Yep they either flap and are easy to get into or are tight and impossible to do on your own.

My last one was from Heine Gerrickeee and the big problem is the velcro tries to mate with anything and everything except the bit opposite, including the velco on my Sidis and some fluffy seed pods off the wayside undergrowth ... it does become a problem when the second leg you are trying to get into has mated with the neck bit  up your back   ### ......solution...... look less cool and use textile kevlar reinforced riding gear that is waterproof.

Got persuaded into a set of Weise gear .... wasn't too keen to start with but boy is it warm and cosy.

Gromit  :fix:
With great power comes great amperes squared times ohms.

Offline longman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 19:54:14 »
Alpinestar El Ninio - waterproof and without that plastic/rubber feeling.
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Oldie

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 21:09:30 »
Quote from: "longman"
Alpinestar El Ninio - waterproof and without that plastic/rubber feeling.

Been looking at these, but can't seem to find any on sale or with discount  :bawl:
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline longman

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 21:22:57 »
I managed to get £15 off from my local shop:)
they get good reviews so shops don't put any offers on:(
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:42:15 »
Had the Hein Gericke one piece suit and it was hell. It was completely waterproof, but I was sweating like a pig because it wasn't breathable so I was soaked and smelling by the time I get off the bike. The zip failed too and the liner seemed to catch on everything while getting dressed. I decided there and then that I'm either buying a two piece suit or I'm getting decent gear that doesn't need to to wear an over suit. I went for the latter as it's just less hassle, you can't really beat decent breathable and waterproof textiles :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Coval

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 18:12:24 »
I have a one piece Rukka and a two piece Lidl suit. Both performed well enough on the FJR and I had no complaints.
Getting into the 2 piece suit is a lot easier, especially since the day I have taken the lining out.

However, on the Strom due to the riding position and bike's aerodynamics being different, I keep getting a wet crotch. Looks like the seams in both suits have become pourous and leak like a sieve.
Curiously, it never bothered me before the Strom.

Am on the market for a new bottoms with leak proof crotch area :-)
Piaggio X9 250 > Kawa GPZ900R > Yam GTS1000 > Yam TDM900 > Yam FJR1300 > K7 Wee & '98 VFR800Fi

Offline choppsie

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 19:42:21 »
I needed something tonight, the heavens opened up just before I left work. Was soaked before I even got to the bike, let alone the 30 minute ride home.

Looking for someting to fit over textile, nice and light and won't make me sweat too much - Is there such a thing?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 20:13:58 »

Ride Coordinator

Offline scep

• Bike: Ex-DL650 K7T
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 20:40:32 »
He's got no valves and his head is about to pop!  :shock:

I always thought riding in my drysuit would be the last word in waterproofing. But boy are you going to ming after 10 hours in the saddle  :grin:
Keep an open mind. But not so open that your brains fall out.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 21:10:13 »
yes have contemplated getting out me old neoprene suit out of the attic, but it's (OK have a laugh on me but..) rear entry, meaning the water-proof zip runs across the back of your shoulders making it bloody hard to get it done up!
I have a newer one but it's the same suit with a few extras - I was killing suits about 1 every 2 years and at £1000 it got expensive! don't think they'll survive too long on the bike!
am thinking about a surface/breathable drysuit for boating, jetskis ect, - front entry, seals on neck, wrists and ankles, and you can wear the bike boots! or just get a £20 1 piece jobby from Lidl or the like!
look like a tit but if it keeps you dry!

Ride Coordinator

Offline Oldie

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 22:03:31 »
There are some decent flotation suits (used by fishermen etc) which would keep you warm and dry in the winter, although some are bulky. I have a lightweight one I use on the boat but always thought that it would be ideal on the bike because of the protection provided by the padding.

This is the type of thing that I mean

http://www.uk-fishing-tackle.co.uk/prod ... cts_id=145

The lightweight one(not the one in the link) I got for under £50 delivered (some online shop based in lanarkshire).
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline Timo

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 23:44:31 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"

lol

Thank you for all your helpful replies. I agree entirely about getting a textile jacket and trousers that really keep the rain off and I used to buy such stuff (Rukka) before the advent of children at university. A touch pricey these days..

I think the two piece idea sounds like the way I'll go.