Author Topic: Nolan N43 Air or Shark Vision R, or something else?  (Read 5581 times)

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
Nolan N43 Air or Shark Vision R, or something else?
« on: March 26, 2011, 18:57:53 »
Does anyone own either of the above? I'm looking for a new lid and want something with as good a peripheral view as possible. Both of these seem to fit the bill, and I've tried the Nolan on - the field of view is astonishing. However, it achieves this by having a very small chin bar (which is removable if you want to use it as an open face lid) and I wonder how much protection it would offer in a prang. (Bearing in mind I suspect that few prangs result in a really hard smack to the chin area). Unfortunately it hasn't been Sharp tested yet, so there's no info to be gleaned there.

You can see the Nolan here: http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/N-43-N43-Air_B22ZNM.aspx

and the Shark here: http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Vision-R-Ne ... 24371.aspx

Would appreciate views, especially from any owners out there or from anyone with a good alternative - thanks in advance.

Simon.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Nolan N43 Air or Shark Vision R, or something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 19:38:51 »
I haven't got either of them, but it has to be said that Shark helmets are quite comfy. So if comfort is somewhere on your scale when choosing a helmet then I guess that's good to know (even though it's quite subjective.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Oldie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 19:48:32 »
Hi Simon. I've been using the Nolan for about a year now and overall it is a good helmet. I was attracted by the removable chin guard but, to be honest, I rarely take it off as it's a bit fiddly to put back in. The best thing about the lid is, as you say, the excellent visibility and I would be reluctant to revert to a standard helmet. The vents seem to work fine although a bit too much air comes in under the chinguard, only really a problem on cold days, but also causes a bit more noise. On the Wee I do get  external wind noise by the ears and have looked at adding padding in the liner to minimise this. Finally, the visor is very clear and seals well, and pinlock works well if you want to add one. Overall score of 7.5 out of 10, maybe 8.
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that

Offline SimonW

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 22:09:30 »
Thanks both.

Oldie - do you ride with earplugs? I'm just wondering if that would minimise the external wind noise.

Offline Oldie

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:03:12 »
Earplugs do minimise the noise, fairly effectively, and I use the foam ones. I put them in backwards and all is quiet. However, personally I prefer to hear a bit of what's going on around me. I don't think that noise, per se, is an issue with the Nolan, as it's quite a tight fit, just a bit airy under the chin and most noticeable in winter. I thought about one of those windjammers for cold days. If you are buying online, I can confirm that their sizes are accurate -I measured my head afterwards and it matched the stated size on the lid.(I tried mine instore). Alan

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 18:48:13 »
I guess I should chip in here.

Answer: Something else...probably...

I worked for Motorcycle City for four years before its demise in one of their clothing & accessories departments as a manager. During my time there I learned a lot about helmets, mainly from the courses they sent us on at Arai.

While its easy to say one make is better than another, one fact holds true above all others: The one that fits the best offers the most protection.

There are other factors such as the materials used but all I will say there is leave alone anything made of plastic or made in two halves and bonded together, I'm hoping I don't have to explain why. There is one slight problem in that some bonded helmets are covered in a printed plastic film which covers up the obvious join, but there's not a lot you can do about that.

In most cases you do get what you pay for, and fortunately Arai and Shoei do still seem to hold the best quality records which is reflected in the priices charged. Its good to reinforce the fact that Arai and Shoei's R&D is the best in the business.

I could mention as an example that Arai use thicker material around the centre of the helmet than is needed, thinning it out towards the base slightly and leaving normal thickness at the top, the reason behind this is that a helmet is likely to hit the ground around the side or top, and unlikely (think about it) to hit around the base, the result in a helmet with a low centre of gravity making the whole thing feel lighter when worn.

Without going on and bore everyone to death, I wanted to offer the following advice:

Try it on for size AND SHAPE.
One make will fit better than another.
Different shapes exist within the ranges available from the same manufacturer
Don't set your heart on a helmet, it might not offer the protection if it doesn't fit properly.
Go to a shop with staff willing to spend time with you to get things right. (I would spend as long as it took with all my customers)
Some helmets can be built to fit.
If you know you are a 57 medium, and only a 60 large fits, it is the wrong shape!
And above all....

You have one head and no second chances, don't blow it!

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 22:09:58 »
Sound advice   :clap:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline SimonW

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 22:45:50 »
Quote from: "2112"
Sound advice   :clap:

Yes, quite, thanks all for the advice. Was planning to try the lids on before choosing and if they don't fit I won't buy. Having tried a few lids on in the past and being surprised how different they all felt I'm surprised people can buy over the net successfully (unless of course they're ordering a model they've already tried on somewhere).

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:39 »
I didn't want, nor mean to sound preachy or anything. I'm just passionate about helmets after one literally saved my life in an RTA several years ago when the doctor stated categorically that if I was wearing a cheap helmet I wouldn't be here now....or if I was I would be a vegetable. Again, it was thanks to the Arai courses I attended that prompted the purchase of the helmet I was in.

Oooer!

Offline SimonW

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 22:21:04 »
No worries. The tricky part is trying to determine which products are quality products, especially with a lid where who knows what's under the glossy paint. And since the marketing people have started to take over the world, unfortunately price is no long necessarily a yardstick of quality!

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 16:20:47 »
Quote from: "SimonW"
No worries. The tricky part is trying to determine which products are quality products, especially with a lid where who knows what's under the glossy paint. And since the marketing people have started to take over the world, unfortunately price is no long necessarily a yardstick of quality!

Very true as I'm finding out on recent visits to bike shops. Sadly too many funky looking products are sprouting huge price tags so I guess we have to resort to common sense.

One thing I'm not sure about is the legality of flip lids now. Years ago it was illegal to ride with it flipped up but I'm not sure if that's changed. I've got a Roof Boxer V, but never ride with the flip up. The only use I have for it is at petrol stations where most are fine with it being left on but flipped so they can see my fugliness!

It was 11 years ago since I worked in the industry!  :old:

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 16:59:04 »
I too had a look at the Nolan and the fit for me was good. Was considering a change over trouble I had with my Schuberth J1 (now hopefully resolved). When looking for a helmet for my son I look up the SHARP rating and we bought one with a five star rated that fitted him properly. It cost £99 and there are plenty of more expensive lids out there that are not 5 star. As with the previous advice get one that fits best but look at all the safety ratings. All helmets in the Uk pass a euro test but many people thing it is not tough enough, hence the interest in the SHARP test.

Offline Oldie

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 17:36:17 »
The quality of the lid is obviously very important but the other advantage of the Nolan is the extra peripheral vision afforded, which I find invalauble. It comes into it's own with lifesavers, in particular, although I'm not suggesting that it's the only helmet like this. I've only ever tried on a couple so no expert :shy:

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 21:13:53 »
Quote from: "BioMech"
Its good to reinforce the fact that Arai and Shoei's R&D is the best in the business.
Best still isn't good enough. I think my Tour X3 is great, but it'd be even better with an integral sun visor!
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:52 »
Quote from: "jonH"
Quote from: "BioMech"
Its good to reinforce the fact that Arai and Shoei's R&D is the best in the business.
Best still isn't good enough. I think my Tour X3 is great, but it'd be even better with an integral sun visor!

I honestly think the reason for that not happening is the Japanese really do concentrate on making good helmets without frippery. I just use the appropriate visor in mine. I think its just their way, and having a Japanese friend whom I lived with for 4 years, I can understand why that might be the case. Leave it to the Chinese/Italians etc for frippery IMHO  :grin:

Offline SimonW

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 22:31:35 »
Well, it turned out to be something else. Or nothing else, at the moment, to be precise. Tried the Shark and it was too tight. Tried the Nolan and it just sat on top my head. So that's both my first choices out. Tried a Shoei XR-1100, which fitted like a glove and was lovely. Also tried a Schuberth S1 which also fitted very well and was eerily quiet. Both lids are nicer than what I have, but neither gives me any more visibility. Ho hum..

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 09:57:28 »
Try the Shoei Qwest, I found it better for visibility (and a number of other things) than my Shark RSi Titan.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline SimonW

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 22:36:05 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Try the Shoei Qwest, I found it better for visibility (and a number of other things) than my Shark RSi Titan.
Thanks, will do. I was looking at the Qwest online last night. Is it better than the 1100?

Offline andy168

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 10:53:28 »
Quote from: "SimonW"
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Thanks, will do. I was looking at the Qwest online last night. Is it better than the 1100?

Bought the Qwest last week and the differnce from my HJC is brilliant :lala:
Was told by the dealer that the 1100 is more for sports bikes

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 16:09:34 »
Reviews report the Qwest better than the 1100. As mentioned, the 1100 is designed for a forward leaning/sports riding position. The Qwest was designed for a sit up position like on the V-Strom. Read the web bike review for the Qwest, it's fairly detailed. I also found some Youtube reviews and a fair few mention the Qwest is better than any other Shoei for touring (it was made for touring so no surprise there.) Only grief I have with my Qwest is that the little level on the left that cracks the helmet open or locks it causes wind noise, I'm going to remove it, I don't need the functionality it gives.