Author Topic: Summer Trousers, Suggestions Please  (Read 3522 times)

Offline smorse69

Summer Trousers, Suggestions Please
« on: March 11, 2011, 18:30:29 »
I looking buy some good trousers to wear during the hight of the Spainish summer. Currently looking at Akito Desert Trousers and Frank Thomas Senegal or Raptor.

Any suggestions or comments  would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steven :)))
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you !!!!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Summer Trousers, Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 20:13:35 »
I've had the Akito stuff, in fact they are still lying around here and I sometimes wear them when I go out for a quick test ride after doing something on the bike. They are very comfy and they have CE protection (knees, elbows, back protector, shoulders.) Compared to my current RST gear the textile feels thin and I feel less protected when I wear the Akito stuff now. They were pretty good in the summer though, you can take the thermal linings out (not that great in the winter though, I get too cold in them.) For the price they are very reasonable and you should be able to get them in a long and short leg if you need something like that. Even though I don't feel 'as safe' in them I'll be using them for a week of touring in South Africa (in the heat of summer) this coming November. I think Akito has brought out a newer version of the textiles than the ones I have. I had a look at the newer ones the other day and they look a bit better than the ones I have. I used my ones for over a year and the zips and popper buttons all still work. That said, I did have the original pair of trousers swapped out because of a broken popper on one of the pockets, but that's nothing serious. Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that they survived a fall in August 2009 and were still fine to wear afterwards.

On the Frank Thomas stuff, my wife's textiles are from them and she's very happy with them. She says they are very comfy and I can't fault the quality. Frank Thomas has gone bust AFAIK so you might be able to get some good deals on their gear if people are trying to get rid of old stock. When I was looking for new winter gear I had looked at the Frank Thomas stuff, but nothing fitted me properly (I am full of sh*t though, but I spend about 4 hours a day in the gear so it needs to be comfy and do the job.)

If that hasn't confused you more then I hope it helps in your decision :) No doubt someone else will show up soon and tell you the complete opposite of what I have  lol
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 22:45:17 »
I have the Akito stuff too and it seems pretty good. However, last summer, on the really hot days I found both the jacket and trousers to be too warm, even with the linings removed. So I went to Hein Gericke and bought the Air III jacket (http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/prod ... ts_id/7445) and trousers (http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/prod ... ts_id/7452). Heaven! They have mesh vents which really let the air flow through - a complete joy to ride in. Both are currently reduced (£99 for the jacket and £90 for the trousers). (And if you're an AA member you should get another 15% off (see here: http://www.theaa.com/membersclub/benefi ... ricke.html) unless there's some small print which says they're already discounted so the extra doesn't apply). The only word of warning is that they're obviously not waterproof!

Offline Jazzman

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 14:28:26 »
I would highly recommend the BMW Summer Pants. I used them all of last summer and were much cooler and more comfortable than any other trousers I've had. As an added bonus I've found they work quite well in the spring and autum with a baselayer underneath. The armour is also really great. The only downside is that they aren't waterproof at all.

And I'd advise against the FT Raptor trousers, I have these too and they are far too warm for a UK summer, never mind a Spanish one.

Offline smorse69

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 20:35:35 »
Thanks for the suggestions,

BMW gear is very nice but a bit pricey. As the average day time temp here in the summer is , well very hot (at least 36 degrees),I think the Akito Desert Evo maybe the best bet, as they have a removeable lining. But wearing shorts,  t-shirt and flip-flops like the locals is very tempting sometimes !!!!! Although they only do that on mopeds and 1000cc + sportsbikes, except Sundays when the Sunday best leathers come out !! lol

Thanks

Steven :)))
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you !!!!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 20:51:31 »
I've always had a problem getting too hot during high(?) summer in my normal riding gear even with the linings out. So last year I bought some "Draggin' Jeans." I did wonder (and still do a bit) about how much protection they'd give but they really are great to use on hot sunny days and I'd recommend wholeheartedly. Look at the video on Youtube! They're not waterproof so you'd need to carry some lightweight overtrousers.

Offline StreetHippo

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 16:53:08 »
I use Hood jeans, feel very well made and sturdy, much nicer than leather or textiles  :thumb:

Stu

Offline stangbanger

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 22:25:24 »
If you can stretch your finances to allow for a pair of the Wolf Outlast textile trousers you will not regret it, I got the outlast set today and was amazed at how well they work, fully waterproofed, armored and lined with fancy outlast material that will cool you down when you warm up and then warm youu up if your getting cold. I was not totally sold on the tech mumbo jumbo but liked the look of the gear, then I made the mistake of trying it on and bloddy hell it works. Ill do a full review once I get a bit more riding done but I was getting seriously fed up with being cooked in the sun at the weekend, I got home on sunday after 3 hours in a quarry throwing the bike about and my upper body was soaked, and I mean really soaked from sweat, I don't think that will be happening again!!
I know its pricy but dealers can drop prices etc and help out if you chat right its the kind of stuff you will only buy once and I'm hopeful its going to last a helluva long time.