Author Topic: Shinko E705 Dual Sport Tyres  (Read 3772 times)

Offline NZ Strom

Shinko E705 Dual Sport Tyres
« on: September 26, 2009, 00:01:50 »
Hi
Not sure if you folks back in the UK have seen these tyres from Shinko. They are E705 model.
I have just had the factory fitted Bridgestone’s replaced with these and first thoughts are they are extremely good.
They are a lot more aggressive in tread, and seem a little softer in compound. They are 1/2 the price of the Metzler Tourance.

I have only done a hundred miles on them but the difference could be compared to running 100 meters in wellingtons or trainers.

I have not had them off road yet, but I am going to give them some stick around the volcanos later.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=63

And they can be bought online.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Re: Shinko E705 Dual Sport Tyres
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 16:49:01 »
These look chunky - has anyone tried them yet ?
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline edd3647

• Bike: DL1000 K7
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:25:11 »
Never heard of them over here. Tend to just use road based tyres personally as the bike won't intentionally be going off road! Unlike my R1200GS that did go off road accidentally on a corner after a high speed driving course!!! Fortunately I just went hedge cutting and no real damage :clap:
Cagiva SuperCity > ZX6RJ1 & F650GS > DL1000 K2 > R1200GS (SHITE!) > DL1000 K7 & CB400F & DRZ400 SM > DL1000 K7 & 1975 CB400F & MSX 125 GROM & 1962 Li 125

Offline NZ Strom

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:48:35 »
Hi

I have had them on now for four months and seem to be very good. Sadly, last week I had to have the rear replaced as it was de-laminating, but suspect that this was just bad luck.

A couple of weeks ago I took them out into the sticks and gave them a good workout on a coastal track near Wellington. They proved superb off road, Gravel, Mud, Grass and Beach.

On road they are very impressive with considerably more grip that others that I have tried, and inspire confidence in the wet. They are 75% road and 25% off road tyres

I am told that the brand is what was Yokoharma, before they were bought out which would explain the sticky feeling.... They seem to wear well as I use them for the commute and notched up 7000Km and used only half the tread.

All in all they are very good and a good price over here. I believe that they can be mail ordered from many shops on the net including Europe.

Hope this helps

And yes I would love to come back to the UK.......

Offline stealth

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:39:13 »
Are the Shinko 705's available to buy online in the UK?
MAYBE TOMORROW... I'LL FIND MY WAY HOME...!

Offline NZ Strom

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 10:11:25 »
Hi Folks

A little bit more info about these tyres.

I have finally had them taken off the V Strom DL1000 as the handling got so bad.

The first rear tyre de-laminated, but I understand that it was a bad batch and the replacement held out for around 11,000km's, with around 4mm of tread left in the centre of the tyre.
However the reason I changed them was due to the front tyre which  became so cupped around the edge of the tread that steering was becoming an issue. There was plenty of tread left in the middle of the front tyre; around 8mm but the cupping reduced the sides to 2mm.

Wellington, where I live is known as the windy city and with a sideways wind the bike became pretty much one-controllable, and even demonstrated an uncanny knack of going sideways. The wandering became so bad one day that I crossed a dual carriageway sideways with out any input from me, in a moderate sideways wind.

I found them really good in gravel and light mud, but came to their forte on poor road surface where speed is more moderate (80km/hr).

All in all they are not bad, but I would be very reluctant to put them on again if most of the work is on tar seal.

I understand that Shinko bought out the Yokohama tyre company, so I suspect that the niggles will get ironed out, as the de-laminating seems to have been done already.

I have had Continental Trail Attacks fitted (pricey) and these are superb on the road but useless off-road, however they are a welcome change.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 11:44:46 »
Thanks for the info - I know a few of the blokes here go offroad so they may be a budget alternative
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 12:05:52 »
Which tyre pressure were you using on the front tyre? I have heard that some tyres can have weird wear if the pressure isn't at least 37psi. I'm not saying this was the issue with this particular tyre, just curious :-)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 12:11:06 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Which tyre pressure were you using on the front tyre? I have heard that some tyres can have weird wear if the pressure isn't at least 37psi. I'm not saying this was the issue with this particular tyre, just curious :-)

Yes I seem to remember that Shinko recommend a low PSI with these tyres
C'mon spring I want to get riding