Author Topic: Battle Wings  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Rambo

Re: Battle Wings
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 12:05:57 »
rear battle wing 6 months in.. :thumb:  :thumb:

One small moment with a VERY itchy right wrist out of a tight roundabout, but settled back instantly,

front trail wing  just needs changing at 12000mls :crazy: .....    speaks volumes :shock:     looking forward to some proper fun in the twistys :grin:
If you fight with an inanimate object long enough you'll eventually win !!

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 16:49:26 »
Front trailwing on mine has been on (I hope) since new. over 13000 miles on it, eh???? what's that, is it solid rubber.

Horrible thing, and on Friday, before I head off with my flask to Arran, it gets a Tourance front.
BRING IT ON !!!!!

Can't rate the Tourance highly enough (on the rear at least) , although it's different for different folk. I wanted as offroady as possible, while getting any sort of mileage out of them , or I'd be on TKC80's , but they wouldn't last me a month.

Offline MARBLE600

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49:58 »
Quote from: "wishbone"
yeah they have stopped making trailwings ,

Thank the Lord :limp:  I think Suzuki must have bought em all cheap from Bridgestone to palm of on the thousands of Stroms they sell world wide ###
KLV1000 A2H plus Madstad bracket with sports screen, Corbin touring seat,Remus revolution alloy slip ons ,PC3, K&N filter, migsel mount, R&G frame sliders, rox risers, renthal bars, fork brace,carbon fibre rear hugger, goodridge hoses..

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 21:17:48 »
I had a rear battle wing put on my 3wk old 650 after getting a large screw through it after just 500 miles, couldn't get trailwings anymore,thank god.

scrapped the foot rest hero blob on a corner two up the other day, just need a front battle wing

Offline Fenris

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 11:17:59 »
Quote from: "gixerpaul"
I had a rear battle wing put on my 3wk old 650 after getting a large screw through it after just 500 miles, couldn't get trailwings anymore,thank god.

scrapped the foot rest hero blob on a corner two up the other day, just need a front battle wing

Are you running with BW rear, TW front at the mo? Does that seem OK? When I bought the bike the dealer replaced the front tyre as it was on its last legs, call me tight but I don't want to replace a brand new front tyre if I can get away with it. I'll need a new rear tyre soon and was hoping to stick a Battlewing on the back.
GPX750 > GS500 > Hornet 600 > DL1000

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 11:37:12 »
Quote from: "Fenris"
Quote from: "gixerpaul"

Are you running with BW rear, TW front at the mo? Does that seem OK? When I bought the bike the dealer replaced the front tyre as it was on its last legs, call me tight but I don't want to replace a brand new front tyre if I can get away with it. I'll need a new rear tyre soon and was hoping to stick a Battlewing on the back.

I've mixed and matched tyres for years without any problems. My Bandit currently has a Maxxis Supermax on the rear and a Dunlop D218 on the front, I do have a front Maxxis waiting to go on but I hate wasting rubber.
Tyre companies will tell you not to mix & match, but we all know where their interest lies. I would expect a mix of Trailwing and Battlewing to be fine, they are both dual sport tyres.

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 17:01:46 »
Yes the rear bw and front tw seem fine , 2up or solo , can't speak for in the rain though, tw isn't all that on wet roads.

had no vibration ,weaving , dodgy moments wth the tyres mixed

Offline Fenris

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 17:08:35 »
OK cheers both of you - that's reassuring :)
GPX750 > GS500 > Hornet 600 > DL1000

Offline Quoman

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 07:14:13 »
just picked up a brand new DL650 as pic, and that has trail wings on the rims, seem pretty planted to me.
ARE YOU READY?
3RD JANUARY IS LOOMING, TIME TO BECOME COMPLIANT
http://www.ecuclinic.com

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:56 »
Just wait until it gets wet :-)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline JonStrom

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 11:57:57 »
No, no, no... There is a reason they have earned the nickname "Deathwings"  :shock:

I wasn't at all impressed with the grip from the OEM Trailwings. Gave little confidence in the dry and none at all in the wet. However, the rear did last for around 10k miles. As mentioned above, Trailwings have been superceded by Battlewings, so gave them a go. They felt equally uninspiring for grip but I also only got 6k from a rear.  
:wtf:

I have always rated Metzelers, so tried the Tourance: good grip wet and dry and at least 10k. There's much discussion on them here: http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4420. However, a current problem with the front tyre delaminating with at least 3k miles of tread left (http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4862) means I'm about to go for Anakee 2's (tomorrow).

We'll see...

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 00:19:11 »
I'm surprised you didn't like Battlewings - over on the VRSI forum they are very well thought of

I've ordered a pair and hopefully getting them fitted next week

I currently have a mismatch of a Avon Distanzia of the front and a very square Metzeler Tourance XP on the back so anything new will be an improvement.

After careful consideration of the main dual purpose tyre contenders :-

Bridgestone Battlewings
Michelin Annakee 2
Continental Trail Attacks
Avon Distanzias
Metzeler Tourance

I've plumped for the Battlewings
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 10:10:48 »
don't know why people don't like the battlewings, great grip both wet and dry? Only have to see my nearly non existant "chicken strips" to see how good they are ;) and why anyone would want to put sports tyres on I've no idea, same grip but quicker to wear out  :crazy:  

Just to put some perspective on this, used to have a vfr 800 vtec before the strom with bridgestone bt021's on, the vfr was a very capable and quick bike in the corners, and apart from the really tight hairpins because of the lack of great brakes the strom is faster through the bends

biggest problem is switching your riding style to suit the strom, smooth and progressive is the way to go and gets the best results from what I can see

by the way not looking to start any arguments around this, just my opinion, you're all welcome to buy whatever tyre you feel comfortable with ;) I just think the semi knobbly type tyres suit the bike better ;)
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline vwee

• Bike: 2017 NC750x dct
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 16:10:52 »
As it goes I to use trailwings on a DL650xK9,just happens I've replaced the front for same as the origanal was down to the wear bar in 5000 miles.£84.00 fitted.
Differant riders are getting differant mileage figures on the front t/wings,yet my back t/wing has loads of life in it.
 :rain: never had a problem using these tyres in the rain and that's including very heavy downpours where the roads are part under water.

Offline kafue

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 08:46:50 »
Still on the original TWs with 12850 miles  on the clock. Because of the high mileage I would have bought them again, so its BWS to replace them.

14500 service due soon and have emailed 4 Suzuki dealers in the north west ( 2 of them 3 times ) for a quote.

Received a phone call from a Cumbrian Suzuki dealer within a hour of my  email and no reply from the others.

Maybe they are so busy that they have no time or courtesy to reply.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 15:37:41 »
I've just had a pair of shiny new Battlewings fitted to my loose wheels at Ian Brown Tyres at Malton

Cost £169.10 including fitting, new valve, balancing and disposal of the old tyres - bargain and great service aswell in their new fitting centre - Even got a free coffee !

I had a shop about and this was my cheapest option for Battlewings

I just have to wait for my Little Bro to refit the wheels now

Lee

Offline MARBLE600

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 15:29:22 »
Quote from: "dogpuf"

Lee

You'll have em wheels back on old blue tonight as promised :thumb:  

Little bro
KLV1000 A2H plus Madstad bracket with sports screen, Corbin touring seat,Remus revolution alloy slip ons ,PC3, K&N filter, migsel mount, R&G frame sliders, rox risers, renthal bars, fork brace,carbon fibre rear hugger, goodridge hoses..

Offline MARBLE600

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 12:18:43 »
Quote from: "MARBLE600"
Quote from: "dogpuf"

Lee

You'll have em wheels back on old blue tonight as promised :thumb:  

Little bro

Helped Big bro fit his shiny new Battlewings last night :thumb:  Hes up and running again, just waiting for the weather to scrub em in  :haha: :rain:

Offline doublevodka

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 15:13:53 »
pfft waiting for the weather ;) just take it easy and scrub them in now :)
Alcohol, the cause, and solution to many of lifes problems!

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 23:51:08 »
I went out for a nice steady 50 mile spin to get the Battlewings Scrubbed in

Did a nice loop up the A19 to Thirsk, Up Sutton Bank and along the top towards Helmsley turning off at Sproxton for Hovingham, then Sheriff Hutton finally back home

The sun was shining and it was mild almost perfect riding conditions if it wasn't for the arse clenching new rubber.

First impressions are that they are an excellent blend of neutral but accurate steering. Didn't push it through the corners but they felt good

Lee