Author Topic: update on tourance next ...NO don't BUY ..  (Read 17281 times)

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
Re: update on tourance next ...NO don't BUY ..
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 08:55:35 »
fatbelly , I don't expect them to give me a new set of tyres . But I would have expected them to inspect the tyres to see if there is a problem with my pair at their expense not mine . And it's not a case of just me not liking them, I think these tyre's are dangerous in the wet. If a bike starts to "white line" just after fitting a different tyre ..it's the tyre that is at fault nothing nothing on the bike  ...this is a safety issue.... Go on the BMW site, there are several complaints about this tyre including  a bloke there that  had his bike completely sideways in the wet and nearly had a bad accident after just crossing a white line with  these tyres on.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 10:15:33 »
I agree, they should come to you or meet you at their dealer's premises to inspect them. But from their point of view 3500 miles is a long time to wait to make a complaint.

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 10:40:11 »
I have to say I am a little surprised by this thread and wondering if it is an issue with the current manufacturing. I purchased my bike May 2012 and it had Tourance's on it. I find the tyres great, they grip well that I am leaning over and scraping my boots in the dry and feel very confident in the wet with them.
May be I don't ride as hard as some of you blokes, but I have never had the tyres slip from me in the wet whether in the heavy rain I experienced on the way to ST6 or other days.
I personally would buy another set, unless they have changed the compound since my tyres were made to the set that doboy purchased.

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 19:08:26 »
fatbelly ,  I put 3,500 mls on them because I went touring around greece just after they were fitted so couldn't  do anything until I got back  ..pauljobr, were they the new tourance "next" you had on your bike & not the old tourance ? as there a completely different tyre ...

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 19:54:54 »
Doboy, your right mine are the older ones.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 20:27:37 »
I've read a similar tale of woe on a Guzzi forum with the same 'Next' tyres on a Stelvio. Similar problems but the rear was giving more grief than the front tyre in this instance. I see little reason to stray away from Anakee 2's to be honest.

As a daft idea, perhaps these were developed using a GS only during testing ? The funny front end on the tubby German has little feel anyway so maybe these were the 'dogs' when fitted on a GS test mule ? Conspiracy theory over.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 20:53:23 »
I strayed from the Anakee's and to be honest for the type of riding I do back and fore to work the K60's are a bit silly, but when I go around the lanes I can fling the thing around with wild abandon and know if I hit gravel, it'll not spit me off and when the weather gets cold again we will see how they live up to the hype. Not that I had any real issues with the Anakee's.
The Anakee 2's were very very good for the strom and suited the stroms abilities well. I wouldn't fit Anakee 3's.
but it does concern me that a long established tyre manufacturer will ignore what is said about it's tyres and make tyres it wants to make not what people want to buy.- namely the many many complaints about how crap the Tourance EXP (and now the NEXT) were off road and on tarmac considering they were made to replace the older 'better' type.

These tyres are obviously a new design or at the least an update, and the manufacturer is burying their heads in the sand when someone has an issue. blatantly now giving a shiyt about it.  :angry-tappingfoot:

I'm seriously considering looking elsewhere for tyres when the Metzler oem fitment tyres on the mrs bike need replacement, even though these tyres have not given me any issues, just to avoid having to deal with a company with crap customer services and policies if I do get issues in the future.

Ride Coordinator

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 22:20:22 »
+1 I think it's really important how companies deal with complaints/issues, if they handle it well then they keep my business and I'll recommend the company to anyone who'll listen. If they're crap I'll go elsewhere and tell people of my experience.

As these tyres have bad reviews I'll be looking elsewhere.

Offline Captain Sensible

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 16:19:59 »
I had a pair of Tourances on my Triumph Scrambler and they did fine for me.

In fact I have just been quoted £200 to have Metzeler Tourances fitted to my current bike which is a 2008 650 Wee and I am fairly happy with that quote.

I know they've had mixed reviews, but when I put the Tourance tyre on my 2006 Triumph Scrambler it transformed the ride into a much more predictable experience. The OE tyres on the Scrambler are quite knobbly and frightening in the wet; can't remember what they were but they were awful for road use.

Dave
Keep On Riding

Offline Captain Sensible

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 12:39:29 »
I will keep folk updated as I just had a pair of Metzeler Tourance tyres fitted to my Wee (a 2008 model).

It was £200 ride in / ride out service at Horndean tyres near Waterlooville Hampshire.

I will check out any bad characteristics and any good ones too. On the 30 mile ride back home they seemed solid and I had no issues with them but still at the 'scrub in' phase.

Dave
Keep On Riding

Offline frez

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 12:40:54 »
Are the the new Tourance NEXT tyres or the original Tourance tyres?
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Captain Sensible

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 14:22:36 »
Quote from: "frez"
Are the the new Tourance NEXT tyres or the original Tourance tyres?

Frez,

I bought the original Tourance tyres. Not the EXP or NEXT versions.

Basically, right price, he had them in stock and from my previous experience of them, they've been absolutely fine. I had them fitted on my Triumph Scrambler and I put them on the Scrambler as the original Bridgestone Trail Wings were nicknamed ''Death Wings'' as they were lethal when a bit worn or in the wet.

The V Strom is an ideal candidate for the Metzeler Tourance and having read the reviews most people get along fine with them.

Dave

PS Here is some blurb on the standard Tourance:

''The 'Tourance' tyre from Metzeler is a dual purpose tyre that's been specially developed and tuned for the big, modern street orientated enduro bike. Unlike the 'EXP' version which is really only a road based tyre, the 'Tourance' offers the same great road handling and mileage but also a slightly greater versitility towards looser/light off-road surfaces.

Featuring Metzeler patented 'zero degree steel belt technology' in the construction of both the front and rear tyre, the Tourance provides the user with excellent straight line high speed and braking stability, whilst also ensuring maximum precision through the twisties and fantastic levels of ride quality and comfort (I.e bump absorption) whilst fully loaded.

With a tyre compound that ensures great levels of grip and precise handling the 'Tourance' makes riding easier in all road conditions. The tyres tread pattern provides the rider with the best of both worlds - large chanelled sections allow for excellent dispersal of standing water, whilst the tyre patterns equally large contact patch provides both stability and grip - providing a tyre capable of travelling long distances and ensuring the best road and light off-road performance in all weather conditions!''
Keep On Riding

Offline mjc506

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 15:51:51 »
You should be alright then :) The original Tourance is/was fine, it's just the newer EXP and 'Next' versions that'll make life interesting.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Captain Sensible

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 14:05:57 »
Quote from: "mjc506"
You should be alright then :) The original Tourance is/was fine, it's just the newer EXP and 'Next' versions that'll make life interesting.

MJC506

Yeah, I think you're right there.

We as motorcyclists, quite rightly, are ''into'' tyres. They are our only contact with the road surface and they have to be first class all the time. We are on 2 wheels not 4 and I think the debate is valid. There is very little room for error and it's just NOT worth buying crap tyres.

Personal stories and real world customer reviews have to be better, both for bikes and any part of the bike that is renewed .

Will keep people posted on the ''classic'' Metzeler Tourance tyres as fitted to my Wee.

Dave
Keep On Riding

Offline Mannakin

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 13:02:39 »
I've recently fitted a new Tourance NEXT on my DL1000. I haven't changed the front as it still had plenty of wear left (its an "original" Metzler Tourance).

Given that my previous rear was fairly squared off from a lot of motorway miles, just the change of profile on the tyre makes a huge difference, so it's difficult to judge what is down to profile change and what is down to the tyre itself.

So far - only done 200 miles, I'm pretty happy with the new tyre but I'll let you know how I get on with them longer term.  It seems to lean and grip well and so far I haven't had any excessive problems.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 18:14:10 »
Anyone else tried the Tourance Next on their Wee / Glee recently?

Offline bigredbaldyman

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 19:42:53 »
Evening gents.  :)

I posted a few weeks ago about my tyres, which were Tourance! They came with the bike when I purchased it. I didn't like the condition they were in so I decided to change them.
I thought they were pretty good and couldn't really fault them until I changed them last week.
I got a set of Bridgestone battlax BT023 sport touring supplied and fitted for £240. :lala: Put just under 100 miles on them and love them already  :occasion-balloons:
I was after the pilot road 4's but struggled to get any and wasn't prepared to wait! :angry-tappingfoot:
The bike feels so much lighter at low speed, especially the front end, the only down side to that is when in town....all the stop starting, it feels a little wobbly at times but I think the feel will change after some time.  :violin:
To my amazement, the buffeting at has gone!  :grin: Don't understand how tyres can affect the bike like that but its magic :clap: Even at the top speed on the motorway the buffeting was gone, not completely but very com'fart'able. I was going to buy a Madstad bracket but I don't think I will have to now :)  :)  :)  :)
The test will be when the old lady and I go out on it, hopefully it will be a little more comfortable than the last time  :shrug:

Cheers
Bigred

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 20:29:14 »
As a tyre seller myself it's very rare for someone to come back with issues with there tyres . On the very rare occasion this happens the procedure is to replace (but customer has to pay again) then send back the tyres to the manufacturing company for examination. If the tyres are found to be faulty then the customer is fully reimbursed.
This is done because tyres are a consumable item and tyre companies won't just give you a pair of tyres to use  on the strength of you saying there tyres are bad however, the seller of the tyres could do this if they choose but the margins are so small on tyres you will find it hard to find any seller that would. :shrug:

Every tyre company will do the same not just metzeler. Did you know that Pirelli own metzeler so you might want to blow out all Pirelli's if you think they have bad customer service .

Personally we don't sell the new "next" because we sell hundreds of the older tourance which has been there best seller for many years .

The problem with tyres is they can't keep everyone happy, everyone rides differently and the tyre companies can't make tyres for every single rider personally ... Unless your a motogp rider .. :grin:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2014, 09:46:39 »
First time I've heard of a set of tyres improving buffeting.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:49 »
Cupar Motorcycles are doing the Tourance Next for £215 fitted.