Author Topic: Heidenau K60 Scout M+S Winter Tyre?  (Read 33307 times)

Offline Greggio

Re: Heidenau K60 Scout M+S Winter Tyre?
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 22:16:02 »
I've found a bloke on eBay who does the rear for £83 and the front for £87 so £170 the pair and he's local I tried him at £160 collected but he told me to piss off in not so many words lol so I think ill bob over tomorrow and get me some scouts on for st6 only 16 sleeps now blokes  :lala:  :lala:  :lala:
2005 blue vee. 1972 Yamaha yg1. 1988 Honda camino. 1982 Honda camino. 1964 puch maxi. 1985 tomos. And a partridge in a pair tree.

Offline Greggio

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 16:10:38 »
Picked up my k60 scouts today and already I've got black rubber chaff marks on me scrot they are stupendous I can't stop touching them tyres aren't bad either  lol  lol
2005 blue vee. 1972 Yamaha yg1. 1988 Honda camino. 1982 Honda camino. 1964 puch maxi. 1985 tomos. And a partridge in a pair tree.

Offline mjc506

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 20:50:30 »
there is something about a knobblie, eh? :thumb:
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 21:33:46 »
Quote from: "mjc506"
there is something about a knobblie, eh? :thumb:
"Ribbed for her pleasure!"
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline mjc506

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 07:16:54 »
My other half does like the vibes at low speed...
Projects:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 07:39:27 »
when looking for a new washing machine I said lets get that one the 800rpm spin... she insited on the 1600. when I asked why she just said "because!" I still don't understand why we bought it... there was nothing wrong with the old one and the new one has just say pluged in but no water pipes in the mrs study since the day we got it.

when I told her about the vibes between 15-20mph she always wants to go on the bike around the estate rather than the car... and take the long way. I'm loosing the will to live doing 2hours a night looping the estate and I think it's time she takes the thermals out of her bike gear. when we've been getting home she has been very warm and sweaty.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Strommer

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 12:59:03 »
One point to note about the K60s is that they leave minimal clearance with the front mudguard.  Some alternative guard solution might be advisable if going somewhere mucky.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 21:00:51 »
Update

2,000 miles.
the front looks like it just went on. still has the vibes until around 20mph. if a couple of PSI down it feels like it's crabbing on turns at national speed limit. The Hum is still there also but I don't count it as a negative just a typical trait to these sorts of tyres.

the rear is showing a little wear. but not major, better than expected considering 1,000 miles was 2up overloaded with camping gear, and offroad on ST6.
On ST6 they really showed their stuff. Off road they are far far superior to the Anakee's. I missed the point to drop the mrs off and took her on the offroad section I had planned for her to miss. the bike managed it fine. Later overtaking a few slower riders as I felt confident in the tyres gripping.

So far will I go for them again. YES they suit the type of ridding I do and I will be ridding all year so the cold weather benefits of these will be useful.

Would I recommend them... that's a difficult one. If you do a fair bit of offroad ridding (more than some badly surfaced lanes) then yes, they seem to be able to stand up to the millage of touring, adding to this is the fact that if you end up off the beaten track in foreign lands, the tyres will cope with most surfaces you could come across.
If your a fast, sporty type of rider then I'd say fit them by all means, but I think they are not going to be for you. They haven't let go at all at any lean angle with me, but the Anakee's were a better road tyre and the Pilot Road's better still.

Ride Coordinator

Offline TravellingStrom

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 23:54:17 »
The front has now clocked up 30,000km and although badly cupped is still within the wear bars

I am replacing it soon when I can find one
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 21:48:21 »
on friday my new rear tyre arrived in work, comparing the new and old show how much tread depth these tyres really do have.

So far I believe I've covered just over 6k miles with the rear. 3k was with a very shot rear bearing that had 3mm of lateral play at time of changing. the bike handled like a pig for the few 100miles before changing all bearings.
So far I'm satisfied with the longevity of the tyre seeing as the tyre was trying to run sideways a little would have shortened the life of said rear.
Front it still looking good, the center blocks have worn a little and the next ones out have sculpted a bit (with tyres like anakee 2's or tourance (original) this would appear as cupping but as the front is sort of knobbly you can't see it. So far I'd say the front is holding up better than my last Anakee front, which was shot after 9K. (Anakee 2's I usually changed one front to nearly 2 rears. front/back- 19/9.5k miles)
Vibes are more apparent after a few hours out riding. Not massively bad, just noticeable through the bars. These vibes has caused no pain, but my finger tips were ever so slightly numb after 6 hours I the saddle yesterday on some rough gravel and mud covered ruff lanes in west Wales- was like spending the weekend ridding up and down and old wash board. (roads not tyre related) numbness lasted about 3 mins after gloves off.

rear still has some life left, but due to West Wales Meet as the end of the month it'll get swapped out before then.

I'm still getting a slight wobble from the shifting knobbly bits on the front going fast corners on Dual carriageways and M-Ways.
I'm riding the rear right to the edge on occasions, just like I did with the Anakee 2's.
I used to scrape the Moto Agora belly pan with the Anakee's, but never got the pegs to scrape, but my boots were on the deck all the time.
These Heidi's have let me on numerous occasions chuck the bike into a corner and out the other side and round the next corner the other way and smack hero blobs on the deck each time.
I've messed around showing off to the skater boys that hang around outside work a few times and spun up the rear when pulling off to make a little mark and puff of tyre smoke and the tyres bite quickly, warm up very fast and so far have given me no need to clench a cheek. last week we had thunder storms and the roads turned to rivers, at one point I could see water 2-3" up the side wall of a car's wheels on the dual carriage way, and that was on the flat with good drainage- so in the wet I'd want to be on no other tyre.
The Anakee 2's are a fantastic tyre for what it was designed for.
The Heidi K60 was aimed at that bit more aggressive off-road ability and I'd have to say they got it right.
After discussions with some blokes with adventure bikes recently I'd recommend Anakee 2's if your ridding 95% relatively good roads all year and have options for transport when the ice comes. fast Summer/fine weather riders.
If like me you do find yourself having a look down that lane/trail and don't know what's down there they are the tyres for you. I ride all year, and have no realistic transport options other than the bike. I won't be going to be using another tyre anytime soon. Sure they are not perfect for every occasion- I commute mainly, so they will go square, but for cold weather and rain and when I venture into the wilds they are the right choice for me.

PS and they look damn good on the bike! (they have to be dirty and the BMW GS rider I parked next gave me a disgusting look when a real rider parked next to his pristine 05 bike  :haha: Cock faced Prick as he was!)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2013, 08:34:31 »
What mileage are you expecting to get from the rear before changing it? I know you had bearing trouble but just a rough idea. How does the wear compare to the Anakee 2?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 09:00:36 »
Rear will be changed before the west Wales meet. New rear is sitting in my garage.
I'm near 6k on the rear and I would he happy with 7, so with the bearing problems I'm good with 6k. Anakee 2 giving me at least 9k.
So a little trade off for colder temps and a little more off road ability is what I was anticipating.
Front isn't even half worn yet.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Jacko

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2013, 12:21:16 »
I thought they'd give more than that, some are reporting 13k on a rear on heavier bikes, (GS1200 being the one that sticks in the mind). You really mince through tyres don't you... :o

Offline mjc506

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2013, 13:06:02 »
I got 15k out of mine heavily loaded through scandinavia and a few 'local' runs. Even then it was still OK, just squared a little
Projects:

Offline TravellingStrom

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2013, 13:54:15 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
I won't be going to be using another tyre anytime soon. Sure they are not perfect for every occasion- I commute mainly, so they will go square, but for cold weather and rain and when I venture into the wilds they are the right choice for me.

Me from here on
The red bit I highlighted above says it all, but only after a long long time riding flat and straight.  The best part about getting my k60s square was riding Stelvio Pass. :)  :) :)   Sure, I had less control on the corners, but %@*& me roan, they howled like a banshee every time I leaned over, they could hear me coming round that mountain, don't you worry about that :)

Cheers
TravellingStrom

Offline TravellingStrom

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2013, 14:15:09 »
Quote from: "mjc506"
I got 15k out of mine heavily loaded through scandinavia and a few 'local' runs. Even then it was still OK, just squared a little

I cannot remember whether I have mentioned this on this forum yet(been on the move and lost track)

Currently still running the front, this is the one I installed in Germany(I am now back home in Oz), it has notched up 33,000km+  It is scalloped and gives a funny feel in corners, it is STILL legal as far as wear bars are concerned and until I can afford to buy a new one of these down here (with one importer only, currently double what I paid In Germany) it will have to do. [I am considering trialling another supposedly long lasting tyre at half the cost, tell you when I do] {Umm, that means I need to find the money and time for a 34,000km+ride, donations welcome ;) }

The rear clocked just over the 20,000km when I was forced to change it, in Bangkok.  The set prior to this survived 25,000km and I still had another 5k before I changed them out.

I love the K60s scouts, but if you buy these you must make sure to buy the right ones, there are 3 styles, the pattern is different, the sizes are different and for sure the LIFE of them are different.

I will not try and list the different ones, because what I get down here is different to what you get up there

Cheers
TS

Cheers
TravellingStrom

Offline mjc506

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2013, 14:27:40 »
Good point about sizing/life. The 'correct' size for us has a solid central band around the rear. I guess this helps with tyre life :)

As above, legal life is a lot longer than 'nice' life :)
Projects:

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2013, 16:34:54 »
I'm at 7500 miles on mine. The front looks like new. The rear is squared off (UK riding to plenty of chance for flat black and boring, less for getting it dirty with anything more than council salt) but only half way to the wear bars.

I had them on the Bonneville both with and without the sidecar. That of course makes 'em squarer than a teetotal Cardinal at a wife swapping party, but having removed the bit on the side they still performed (Oo 'er missus) so I'm going to keep going until it starts to go off.

On mud they really do help. On snow sidecar experience tells me the compound is spot on, but no solo touring bike is ever going to make you grin on the white stuff.

The only thing that will make me try anything else are the noise comments. I really think they just make a road noise, but it's so long since I used a semi-slick I can't remember what they were like. I only kept the deathwings for 150 miles. One punctured the other went in a skip.

Andy

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2013, 17:23:14 »
Quote from: "Andy M"
That of course makes 'em squarer than a teetotal Cardinal at a wife swapping party.
lol Where do you get all these sayings from.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline PhotoRex

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 16:33:41 »
I was wondering how people with the K60 Scout tyres have become on over the winter period with the rain and cold that we have had?  I am starting to consider changing tyres and I can't decide over these or the anakee 3's