Author Topic: 4-5kmiles out of a PR3 on a vee?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline thebigcheese

4-5kmiles out of a PR3 on a vee?
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:58:12 »
picked the bike up from the service at colin appleyard this morning, and they said to keep an eye on the rear tyre as it was getting close to the blocks on the centre of the tyre. only 4k miles on the rear tyre at the moment.

expected a few more miles out of the rear tyre.... on the other hand I was loaded up with luggage and touring for 3k miles. very few motorway miles really.

what's everyone else got out of the rear, esp on the vee?
bikeless

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: 4-5kmiles out of a PR3 on a vee?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:28:53 »
I typically get around 4,000 miles from a rear tyre. I've always thought this to be very good compared to virtually every other bike I've owned in the last 15 years, where if I got over 2,000 I thought I was doing well. I don't ride the Vee any differently (quite hard most of the time) and considering it's a litre V twin I think 4,000 is very good. I suspect there will be lots of replies from Wee owners (with their little engines!!) who get lots more from their tyres......

Offline TravellingStrom

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:31 »
You are correct, here is a wee comparison and maybe we can get a V to chime in with one as well if any of them have used this particular tyre

Heidenau K60 Scouts best tyre ever as far as I am concerned

Riding fully loaded on many types of surface and just replaced them at 25,000km which is over 15,000 miles in your language. I fully expect this next set to see me home to Oz

I have tried many types over the years on my travels and these more than double the next best I had at 12,000km about 7,000 miles

They are an aggressive tyre with an aggressive profile but they have managed to do dirt, wet and slippery twisty mountain roads both paved and unpaved with not a single problem that I could feel.

I wish they paid me to say the above but they are cheap enough, so why not give them a try?  OK, cheap in Germany where they are made, but take in the fact you would have to replace any other brand 3 times then they are cheap anywhere you buy them

Cheers from Kazakhstan
TravellingStrom
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:59:32 »
Quote from: "TravellingStrom"
Heidenau K60 Scouts best tyre ever as far as I am concerned

Wow!  They at the very least look great!  Like a tractor tyre!! What is the grip level in the dry like?  I image they are quite hard tyres give the life span so grip surely must be compromised?
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline mjc506

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 13:12:53 »
I can echo the above entyrely (ho ho ho)

Ran a set on my wee all around scandinavia (getting on for 7k miles) and they've been great. Enough grip in the dry to scrape pegs, certainly. I'll get some pictures if I'm able - I put a lot of motorway miles on these, and the rear has squared off noticably, but I can't feel it while riding.

Only possibly downside imo is the noise - I don't care, but some may dislike the hum I get ~70mph. And decelerating through ~35mph they hmm a bit too.
Other that that, a bit vibey at really low speeds, but no issues once moving.

They've been great on the scandinavian roads, and have got me through mud (dry and wettish), loose gravel, a few bike lengths of deep sand, wet grass, that weird scored tarmac...
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline TravellingStrom

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 13:38:24 »
Yeah, I forgot to mention the hum cos I am used to it

I did the Stelvio Pass and a number of others when the tyres were at around 19,000km. They were squared off a bit and on every corner they screamed, lol, they could hear me coming anyway and I never hit any deer or other critters so maybe they have another built in bonus :)
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:41 »
Got  around 8500 out of the Metzeler Tourance on the Vee, I ride pretty hard more than not and with my 125kg weight its not a light load either. There was still around 800-1000 miles left, but I changed it while I could & while there was a cashback deal on the Anakees.

That included 2000 odd miles on my Germany trip which had a long day on the autobahn too.

The OEM Bridgestone did 5000 for the first tyre and 6000 for the second and it was right down to bald when changed. Currently 1500 miles on the Anakee, not really liking it, I'll go back to the Tourances once its used up.