Author Topic: Trail wing Heretic  (Read 7968 times)

Offline TravellingStrom

Trail wing Heretic
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 02:36:52 »
Quote from: "patropsley"
juv what tyres would give the best mileage not worrying about performance?

My opinion after much testing is Heidenau K60 Scout. But they perform real well as well as lasting
Two sets so far on this current trip
1st set 24,000km
2nd set at around 18,000 this set won't last as long because Mongolia tore the crap out of them
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline BluesBoy

Re: Trail wing Heretic
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 13:26:40 »
Same feeling as frez regarding the TrailDeathWings.   Have had a couple of ring-twitching moments in the wet on over-banding whilst turning.    In the dry they seem totally fine.  Also they've caused the ABS to kick in a few times on the front under what I would call normal braking, until I got a puncture and swapped an Anakee on the front.  Never had ABS kick in since.  Same route daily.  Certainly not down to overnight rider improvement.  Can't wait to put another Anakee on the rear for better winter grip and faster turning in.

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 13:33:51 »
There's no getting around the fact that the "Deathwings" do not last as long as other tyres. Personally I don't consider 7,500 miles to be "good" life for a tyre. In fact, it's the poorest tyre life I've ever had of any tyre! Even the cheaper Maxxis tyres last a good 10,000+ miles, have the same amount of grip (possibly even slightly more in certain conditions) and are much cheaper.
I've only just fitted the Anakee 2s so I can't personally speak to their lifespan, but I've seen many people report that they've had them on for as much as 15,000 miles... and that's what I call "great" tyre life!

On my older bikes I've had everything from Avons to Tourance and beyond... all of which have lasted me more miles than the "Deathwings" did. On lifespan alone I have to say that, personally, I wouldn't recommend these particular Bridgestone tyres.

That said, I've had many other types of Bridgestone tyres on many other bikes, and always had a great experience with them.... until the "Deathwings"!

I've seen it said that it's not in Suzuki/Bridgestone's best interest to provide tyres with poor lifespan... well, it really is! If you have to change the tyres after 7500 miles, that's more money for Bridgestone (assuming you don't cotton on to the fact that 7500 miles is shit for a tyre) and more money for the Suzuki stealership (assuming you don't cotton on to the fact that having maintenance performed by the stealership is a giant waste of your money). It's very-much in their best interest to ensure that you need to go back to have work done as often as possible, especially with something like tyres where they can make the claim that the short lifespan is down to "the way you ride" or "road conditions where you ride".

That's my £0.02!
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline patropsley

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 13:47:08 »
Ref LaKraven post

Another endorsement for getting rid and replacing your new Deathwings at all costs as soon as possible and sell to me :-)  and another +1 for Anakees

I do PM this thread to every new member with a new bike but no takers yet!!

Also 15k miles from Anakee 2 that’s great I think they are the best tyre for longevity unless someone has a better lifespan?  :clap:

Pat
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 13:51:56 »
I didn't say people should chuck the "Deathwings" the moment they buy their bike. You've paid for the tyres, might as well use them!

If you're looking to save some money, Pat, you should get the Maxxis tyres! They have almost identical tread pattern to the "Deathwings", last 50% longer, and have every bit as much grip! I ran mine practically bald all the way to Manchester (via Matlock Bath in the Peak District), a total journey distance of around 2000 miles including short trips while up in those areas for the week. I did just shy of 400 miles home in a single fuel-stop-only run (which finished those tyres off, by the way) and they still had just enough grip to get me up to the garage for a tyre change! In terms of "bang for buck", they're probably the best value tyres out there.

I went with the Anakees because I needed a good on-road/off-road tyre (when I say "off-road" I mean enough to provide grip on muddy/gravel-covered roads which are the main roads in my area). If I lived in a town or city I'd have happily saved myself £100+ and bought another pair of Maxxis.
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline patropsley

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 15:46:16 »
Hi LaKraven

Thanks for the advice buddy it is appreciated.
Just to confirm I’m the one asking people to chuck them away not you, I didn't mean to mis-represent you. I am using you as a tool for my own end :shy:   I am happy to buy them if people don’t fancy them.
They work for me

My purchasing decision is simply based of what I perceive as value for money the last set cost me under £100 fitted for new tyres. If I am going to go into the market to buy at full price I will buy MR pilots without a doubt, I am a commuter and a couple of other forums I am on rate them above all else for Pavement riders.
I ride my bike, I love riding my bike I have only put a couple of thousand miles on my car since coming back to riding but it is still a tool to get to and from work and I do that comfortably and the wee fits that just fine – I want to be safe, warm and dry so I bought a rev it Everest 2 Gortex suit and (although I have tried a few) I have settled on Daytona GTX boots. So I am happy to spend on what suits me but I will always look for a bargain and I perceive this as a bargain. My helmet, I researched through SHARP and ended up with a HJC that costs a few hundred pounds I perceived it as a bargain my gut was telling me to buy the £500 shark but I trusted SHAPRP and am happy.
On the other extreme I couldn’t believe how much muffs cost and I have a setup on my bike that cost around £35 for guards and muffs (thanks Juvecu) and they are back on this year - I really didn’t think it was value for money to get an expensive pair of Muffs – I use a tutoro oiler (the new bigger automatic one :grin: ) Most people wouldn’t use the Tutoro I think scottoiler is favoured on this site but at £40 for an automatic oiler it seem better value for money to me than a scott or Pd?

I do feel like I have worn myself out with this thread and think it may be better just to put down that I have bought Anakee 2’s and I am delighted now no twitching better MPG my bike is  faster and needs a lot less cleaning and I think they take 10 years off me ;-) :thumb:
Regards
Pat
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 16:16:29 »
Quote from: "patropsley"
juv what tyres would give the best mileage not worrying about performance?
I wouldn't say I can pin this with accuracy, but it seems as if it would be a toss up between the Anakees 2 and the Heidenau K60.

According to my service records I'm on my 3rd Anakee 2 rear tyre. The first two gave 15868 and 20610 miles respectively. The current one has plenty of life in it, has done 10726 miles now and I expect at least another 5-7k out of it. If you average the mileage I got out of the first two tyres you get 18239. I must add that I do ride them until the middle of the tyre tread blocks are level with the carcass, some people will change them earlier, you can probably take about 3k off for that difference.

I'm on my 2nd front Anakee 2, the first one did 24151 miles, and the current one has done 7185 and it's still looking near new. I expect this one to last roughly 24k again.

Quote from: "TravellingStrom"
My opinion after much testing is Heidenau K60 Scout. But they perform real well as well as lasting
Two sets so far on this current trip
1st set 24,000km
2nd set at around 18,000 this set won't last as long because Mongolia tore the crap out of them

If we use TravellingStrom's K60 figures for comparison then and convert them to miles:
1st set:  14913 miles
2nd set: guesstimate of 11185 miles

I'm pretty sure TravellingStrom is much harder on tyres than what I am. He's loaded up and going on much worse roads than what I use. I sit on a motorway at a relative constant speed most of the time which will add to longevity. Also note that the Vee will get less out of a rear tyre than a Wee because of the extra power.

I haven't used the PR3 tyres, maybe frez can give his numbers, he done some high mileage on them so his figures would be comparable.

As for Maxxis tyres, if you're on about the Presa Detour ones, LaKraven, then I have to disagree. They were pretty good in the grip department. The front lasted 21k (off the top of my head), but the rear was squared off so that it could stand up on it's own by 7442 miles (I replaced it with an Anakee then.) I'd imagine if I had a Vee that would have been in the region of 5k instead. They are cheap, but you'll have to replace that rear sooner than if you had an Anakee/Heidenau which would probably end up being more expensive? I think you were good at sucking every last mile out of them or I got ones that were just crap to start with?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline greywolf

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 16:21:56 »
I haven't been able to try the PR3s because I was unable to wear out the original Pilot Roads on my Wee. They had over 16,000 miles on them when I sold the bike and had plenty of tread left.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline frez

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 16:46:12 »
I change mine when they are down to 1-2mm, I got ...

14.3k miles out of the original trail wings, the front still had wear left
11.2k miles out of the rear Pilot Road 3
14.6k miles out of the front Pilot Road 3 (still almost 3mm left, so could have gone longer)
7.7k miles out of the rear Road Attack 1

Currently have a Road Attack 2 both front and rear, front has about 7k on it, rear about 3.5k on it

Not putting on the high mileage now as I am between contracts and the next one that is starting in two weeks is less than 30 miles away.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 16:50:43 »
That's very decent for road tyres :thumb: I'm very tempted to try the PR3 tyres next.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline frez

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 17:04:52 »
They are expensive by comparison with the Anakees and judging by how good people think the Anakees are the premium may not be worth it. I plan on trying out the Anakees next, but based on my reduced mileage that may not be for 6 months.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 17:30:24 »
I'm hoping not to change my tyres again until 2014, if the Anakees live up to the lifespans being quoted by many out there (a few replies back... 24k miles! Holy hell that's insane!)

Offline cabra

• Bike: 1995 Triumph Trident - 1976 Triumph Trident - 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 20:59:45 »
Quote from: "frez"
They are expensive by comparison with the Anakees and judging by how good people think the Anakees are the premium may not be worth it. I plan on trying out the Anakees next, but based on my reduced mileage that may not be for 6 months.
(The above re Michelin RP 3s). A local tyre supplier to me - £213 ride in, ride out? Bearing in mind that ALL bike tyres are expensive in comparison to ANY other road vehicle, £213 seems good enough "value" to me. That said, I haven't the faintest idea how much other makes cost. Apart from RoadSmarts = 2nd mortgage!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Trail wing Heretic
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 21:59:26 »
I've just got 4k out of a Diablo Corsa III on the rear of the zx6, and I thought that was good.. I'm going to like the extra miles I get out of the Glees tyres if this thread is anything to go by.. :)

Moorsie

Trail wing Heretic
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 22:05:08 »
I got 3,500 out of the rear BT016 on my GSR 750, so I would agree 7,500 sounds great!

I swapped over to Avons on my old Vee, they seemed to be a harder compound than the Trailwings and felt good on the road wet or dry. I never found out how many miles they would do though as I sold the bike having put 9,000 miles on them and they were still going strong.

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 23:29:29 »
Wow you people have seriously low expectations when it comes to tyre life!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Trail wing Heretic
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:44 »
I come from sportsbikes, it's all relative.. :)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 13:25:59 »
cabra, £213 ride in, ride out is a great price :thumb:  I used to pay just over £200 for Anakees if I took the wheels in.

Offline stibbs

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 20:20:53 »
Just to add to the debate, I've got the battle wings on my glee. I've done 5,150m now and there's no noticeable wear yet :shrug:
I've ridden in dry, very wet and loose gravel surfaces and can only report my experience, that is they're good tyres and can only think that this is a topic that's very personal.

I'll monitor the tyres and have a rethink when I've got more miles and experience of them :thumb:

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 20:45:26 »
You'll be singing a different tune when you get to around 7500 miles, I assure you! Once they start to wear, they wear very fast!