Author Topic: two Michelin Road Pilot 3s on to the little Wee  (Read 10002 times)

Offline Strommer

Re: two Michelin Road Pilot 3s on to the little Wee
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 17:37:00 »
My PR3s went on today.  Excellent so far (15 miles only).  The BWs were getting nasty on cats eyes and white lines, all that nervousness has just vanished.  Also leans nice and smoothly, though the front BW went square so anything would be better!

A disgrace to biking...

Offline highland strom

• Bike: Suzuki Sv K2 2003.
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 18:01:05 »
Nice 1 keep us all posted on the wear and handling as the milege goes on, what do they look like on the bike "meaning  the tyres used as standard are semi road/trial do they look OK being full road tyres ( no rugged look ) I think theese will definitely be my next set of tyres as I never and don't intend to use my bike off road cheers colin.

Offline Grey Ghost

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 18:10:18 »
Thunder road Bridgend told me the pr3's for the Wee are actually call Pilot Road 3 'Trail' so technically not a full road tyre, but certainly not anything like the BW profile

Offline Strommer

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 19:00:47 »
They look great - not a TKC but not superbike.  Actually took some pics - will uploaderate them tmrw.  Off to bother a bottle of wine.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Strommer

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 12:51:52 »
Michelin must be confident about their wear stats as they come with 4mm on the front and 5mm on the rear.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Strommer

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 13:27:35 »
Update:

After 600 miles+ the tyres are a definite improvement on the BWs.  The standout areas though are wet weather where the bike feels like it's in the dry, which is nice... and hard front braking whre the front stays in shape and doesn't feel about to let go.

On the BWs I always felt that the front tyre was at its limit wen braking hard.  On the PR3 I can brake much harder - hard enough that I am thinking of going braided when the cables get replaced in september.  I never wanted stronger brakes on the BWs as the brakes seemed stronger than the tyres could cope with.  Other way around now.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline highland strom

• Bike: Suzuki Sv K2 2003.
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 15:25:15 »
+1 for pr3's, excellent in all conditions except "mud"  really stable in corners "fast or slow" and so much smoother than duel purpose tyres I had on and it rolls on the the road so much easier I've only done 500 mile on them so far but if I get anywhere near the milege out of them to what my mate does I will be a happy chappy he has a yamaha xj6 diversion and got 13,000 out of the front and 16,000 out of the rear all be it a much lighter bike.

Offline frez

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 15:30:01 »
I have 6.5k miles on my PR3s. My experience is the same. The rear profile has flattened a bit but it doesn't appear to have effected the handling. Still plenty of tread left yet.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2012, 00:44:04 »
Quite interested in how long these will last for you, frez. I love my Anakees, but since I do primarily road riding with the odd off road excursion every now and then I might change to these as a test some time. I can always keep a part worn pair of Anakees for when I plan to do some off road riding (which only really happens a few times a year.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline frez

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2012, 09:34:28 »
I've not tried them off road, probably never will, but I'd guess that they would struggle versus the anakees with anything other than hard packed dry dirt.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650