Author Topic: Helmet Recommendations  (Read 9105 times)

Offline daveywww

• Bike: DL650 K8
Helmet Recommendations
« on: April 14, 2019, 14:55:51 »
Looking at getting a new helmet, and just wondered what people think/recommend. Just sold my c3 pro, as it was just dreadful. I obviously had the wrong shaped head. I’m currently using an old Shoei xr1000, which feels great. Shoei shape suits. Shoei & Arai etc, are just so expensive. I know it’s important etc etc.....

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Helmet Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 15:15:49 »
I had the Shoei XR1000 and now the XR1100, both fit my mutant, fishbowl head. I am tempted by the Neotec (flip), from what I can see, the Neotech 2 isn't £300 better than the Neotech 1, so that might be a bargain.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 16:23:07 »
I agree with your assessment of the C3 pro, but the C4 is shaped more oval and I have been using one every day for a year now and it feels great. I used a Givi flip front which is surprisingly comfortable and better vented than the C4 but noisier. 

Offline daveywww

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 16:34:09 »
Thanks fellas.  👍

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 15:26:21 »
I've got a Shoei Neotec 1 and think it's a great helmet.  Comfy and relatively quiet in clean air.  But the issue for me lies with how it works behind a screen, it's just not as good.  I get quite a lot of buffetting.

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 18:47:48 »
Shoei Neotech Flip,,,        :thumb:  great all round touring lid....

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 22:41:22 »
I just purchased a Shoei GT air 2, I can’t really tell you what it’s like on a bike because I haven’t picked it up yet. But I can tell you after trying quite a few it offered the best comfort. Comes with an internal flip down sun visor, pin lock, plenty of adjustable vents, you can crack the visor open slightly and it’s supposed stay there. If you use comms equipment it comes pre-prepared for Senna 2 stuff (I think). But cheap it ain’t, I only have one because the supplying dealer for the bike gave me a hefty discount, and it was the only one that felt right for me. Hope this helps?
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline daveywww

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 20:17:48 »
I’ve just got an xr1100. They’re discontinued, but it’s good enough for me. Actually downsized from a xxl to an xl. Who knew. Feels better, snugger, but no hot spots. I think it’ll probably be another Shoei something in a couple of years. Seem a good fit for me.

Offline Munchen

• Looking for a DL1000
  • Bike: VFR800
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 08:12:45 »
I'm in the market for a new lid at the moment too and narrowed it down to the GT-Air II or the Neotec II.  My current one is Shoei and I'm well pleased with it, just the padding around the forehead is starting to perish.

Never had a flip but it stops jobsworth at the petrol station asking me to remove it, the Neotec may be worth a gamble.  I'd also be able to roll my eyes and stare menacingly at the pump attendant who insists I get off my bike to fill it up - and he'd actually be able to see me.  :roll:

I generally like to ride with the visor up, especially when in built-up areas but I don't like bugs whose dying wish is to land in my eye.  I reckon the sun visor in the GT Air is just the ticket and will make me feel a bit "Stringfellow Hawk".

Just googled "Airwolf helmet" and now I have a 3rd option!  :lala:

https://airwolfthemes.com/airwolf-replica-helmets-by-Steven-W-Stull.html

Offline BigAldo

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 13:28:41 »
Have a look at the Scorpion ADX-1 if you're cost conscious. Currently around the £200 depending on the paint scheme. I was able to get one for £50, second hand but unused, so I couldn't not buy it... Particularly after reading the reviews.

ADV style with a flip front, pin lock and the drop down sun visor.  Can be used with or without the peak in place. Did a 7 hour trip on the bike, and really like it.

Increased wind noise over my C3, particularly from crosswinds, but overall an improvement. My preferred warm weather set up is with the Givi Airflow set  just below eye level, and the visor open one click for comfort.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 18:18:02 »
Munchen, unfortunately front-flips won't stop jobsworths asking you to remove your helmet at the pumps, nor to get off your bike...

If the Neotec II is half as good as it's predecessor then it'll be a fantastic helmet 

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 19:19:59 »
True about the jobsworths, unfortunately. Happens to me with a Neotec 1. I didn't know there was a Neotec 2 out. Just looked at it and its dedicated Sena comms, and seen an issue. When touring and camping I charge my Sena 20s under the bike seat via an Optimate usb charger. The Sena SRL2 seems to have the battery permanently housed in the helmet, so this would not be possible. Extension lead from under seat to helmet in tent? Not very elegant. Leave helmet on handlebars? Dew, or even rain when not in Wales. Oh, yes, and prices for helmet and intercom. Bit steep. The p/j is nice, long overdue. And, Munchen, you probably know, but.... The internal sun visor is not safety rated like the main, clear visor.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 20:43:13 »
Good point on the sun visor, although there's an interesting video by FortNine 'testing' (destroying) an original Neotec, and the sun visor stops a dart from gun at close range although not as well as the visor.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 21:15:11 »
I've got the Shoei GT Air 1, fits my head, pinlock and sun visor, receptacles for headset speakers. Quiet it is not.

Offline Dave L

• The older I get the faster I was......
  • Bike: DL650 AM3
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 07:36:29 »
Hello,

Now for something a little different, I have a Caberg TourMax. It is an adventure flip front. It has the usual visors and also has a peak which is very useful when riding into the sun which I have to do on my daily commute sometimes. I changed screens to a Givi and this has almost eliminated any buffeting and noise, I can listen to music quite comfortably at the legal motorway speed.

Offline daveywww

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 16:06:22 »
I’ll stick with the xr1100 for a couple of years, then reassess. Been scarred with the tips after the c3 pro, which tried its best to squeeze my brains out. Might go to a shop and try a Neotec. Trouble is, a couple of mins in a shop isn’t enough. It’s only after it’s been on for an hour or so, that yo realise Jove made a dreadful mistake.

Offline Jonbroad

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 21:09:34 »
My current helmet is an Xlite 702 GT. It's well vented but I want something  a bit more open. Thought about a flip but current contender is Nolan 720-2 GT.  https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/431870

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 00:02:27 »
https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com let you try at home for up to 7 days, saved me from the Schuberth helmet that only hurt after wearing for an hour or more, exchanged for my Shoei GT Air.  :thumb:

7 Day Helmet Exchange Policy

The helmet exchange policy, which in addition to your statutory rights, entitles you to exchange only a helmet bought in store with a valid receipt within 7 days of purchase.

Helmets must not have been worn on the road and must remain in original condition and returned to us with the following: The original box, manual, helmet bag and the visor sticker must still be attached.

Our Aim is to ensure that you are 100% satisfied with your purchase. We allow you the right to try a helmet on in the comfort of your own home for up to 7 days to ensure that it is the correct product for you.
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline Mooshty

• Bike: DL1000XT AL8
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 19:35:15 »
I agree with Dave L on this. I have the Caberg Tourmax and it is a great helmet. This is my third Caberg. It is as safe as the big names being Sharps 5 star rated and is dual homologated so that you can also ride legally with the flip locked in the open position on hot days. Also its just over £200 so I cannot see the point in paying double the price for a name :shrug:

Offline Leon

• Bike: DL650, ER5, XS250 Cafe Racer
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 15:31:41 »
I've been using the Neotec for nearly 2 years and around 15k miles and although the fit is good and it's comfortable I am very disappointed with the visor and flip up mechanism and the strap has started to fray. Just seems very 'plasticky'. I loved the Multitec I had before, really great helmet but have not got on with this one. It's now been relegated to my spare helmet and I'm currently using a Caberg X-Trace till I can get myself some time to go helmet shopping again.

I'll probably consider another Caberg as I've always had good experiences with them and I like the look of the Tourmax. If the Tourmax is as good as the Duke I had previously then I think I'm sold.
The more you think the less the better.

Notable bikes: SV650S (Sold), Kawasaki ER5 (Being repaired), 01 Blade (Sold), Another SV650S (Sold), 05 GSXR1000 (Sold), Suzuki GSF400Z (Sold), Yamaha FZR400RR Streetfighter (Sold), Kawasaki GPZ500S (Sold), Yamaha XJ600 Divvie (Crashed), 04 Kawasaki ZX10R (Written off at Snetterton), GSX750X (Sold), 04 ZX6R (Sold), 02 ZX6R (Sold), 94 FZR600R (Sold), 91 NC30 (Sold and missed), 87 GSXR750 (Sold and really missed), RD125LC (Crashed, rebuilt then sold).