Author Topic: Locks for Suzuki Luggage  (Read 437 times)

Offline Cumbrian Yeti

• Bike: DL1050XT
Locks for Suzuki Luggage
« on: April 20, 2024, 20:26:36 »
Anyone know where I can get locks for the below luggage?

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
Re: Locks for Suzuki Luggage
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 15:02:30 »

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 21:06:02 »
If they are the Suzuki luggage, the locks come with a new bike, they would usually be under the seat or in the info pack.

The locks do not come with the luggage pack, you need the original lock that were supplied with your bike.

I'm not sure if Suzuki do the lock sets now, I know they never used to and it was a pita for people buying boxes off ebay without locks and the original owner of their bike would keep the lock when trading the bike.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Cumbrian Yeti

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 21:27:27 »
Thanks for the replies both.

They are Suzuki boxes.

I had the locks with my 2022 1050 XT but I left them on the bike thinking I’d get another set with my new 1050 DE, but it didn’t come with locks  :dl_smiley_banghead:

So I’m trying to find a set… somehow

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 08:28:15 »
The locks from your old bike would have been keyed to that bike's ignition key.

That's why they come with new bikes and you can't/couldn't get replacement ones - best go back to the dealer you bought the bike from if you bought it new.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 07:19:47 »
Any good locksmith, worth his salt, will be able to pick the pannier lock if necessary and once the pannier is opened, can use the key barrel to cut a new set of keys for you.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 11:20:42 »
I quite agree, I used to build the Honda lock sets to use the ignition key with various wafer combinations (the locks came as a 3 part kit)
The problem with the Suzuki boxes is the lock barrels come with the bike, not the boxes.

If you buy the boxes you'll need the factory supplied lock barrels that came with the bike.
It may have changed but Suzuki never offered replacement lock barrels you could have a lock smith rebuild to match the new bike, and the the OP said he didn't get the barrels with the new bike.

I'd be going back to the Suzuki dealer the bike came (if you bought it from them when new) and ask where your lock barrels are?

Ride Coordinator

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 12:45:21 »
I didn’t buy the Suzuki luggage, but I was supplied with a three lock set that matches my ignition key.

They’ll be no use to anyone else I’m afraid.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 15:12:53 »
Well, you say that, but it's possible they could be re-configured to work with the op's key.
Any chance of a photo of said locks?

Offline Phild

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 15:27:58 »
I’ll go and unpack them and get a photo.

I’ve got all the bits parcelled together ready for the Accessor to inspect the bike.

👍

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 16:27:54 »
Well... You learn something every day..
My 2014 has the Suzuki panniers but it's not keyed to the bike.. I have 2 keys though..  so no idea where they got them..  prev owner must have sorted it somehow.. 

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 22:02:52 »
I have seen sets of luggage for sale on ebay, bike traded in with one key, so they could keep the other and sell the luggage separately.

I've also seen one bloke who crashed the bike and it was written off, luggage wasn't on the bike at the time, so he sold the luggage with the spare key once the insurance had paid out for the bike.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 09:15:55 »
So, if Phild's luggage is the same as Yeti's, these numbers might help. I'd ring Fowlers and ask exactly what is nclude, and whether they are re-configurable.
My KTM panniers were the same, boxes supplied without locks and only if someone bought the panniers were locks fitted, to go with the ignition key. After a (previously undisclosed) pannier loss somewhere in Cumbria  :bawl:  I bought a new old stock pannier on Ebay. I then bought a new lock from a KTM dealer, this came with spare wafers and springs to enable me to make it fit my bike's ignition key. Hopefully the Suzuki ones are similar.
If it was me, I'd be asking Phild if he wants to sell his 3 locks and I'd have a go at making them fit.
This is what Fowlers have..

Offline Phild

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 10:06:04 »
I haven’t got any Suzuki luggage.

The locks came with the new bike. The dealer said the locks work with your ignition key in case you buy the luggage system as well.🤷‍♂️

Offline Rusty Nuts

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 10:13:34 »
Both bikes being 1050xt, I'd imagine them to be compatible,  then. Is there a nut on the end of the ones you have?

Offline Phild

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 10:54:08 »
Number blanked out…..

Offline Cumbrian Yeti

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2024, 09:39:04 »
So, if Phild's luggage is the same as Yeti's, these numbers might help. I'd ring Fowlers and ask exactly what is nclude, and whether they are re-configurable.
My KTM panniers were the same, boxes supplied without locks and only if someone bought the panniers were locks fitted, to go with the ignition key. After a (previously undisclosed) pannier loss somewhere in Cumbria  :bawl:  I bought a new old stock pannier on Ebay. I then bought a new lock from a KTM dealer, this came with spare wafers and springs to enable me to make it fit my bike's ignition key. Hopefully the Suzuki ones are similar.
If it was me, I'd be asking Phild if he wants to sell his 3 locks and I'd have a go at making them fit.
This is what Fowlers have..

Hi all, I took a punt on the lock set, I got it from Japan as worked out as around £25 delivered… however it came with only one lock.

Since I’ve discover these…
https://www.admotorcycles.co.uk/shop/model-accessories/Suzuki/motorcycle-accessories/luggage/motorcycle-accessories-side-case-lock-set-95700-48810-000/

These are set manually to your existing key too.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2024, 07:42:27 »
Please remember to post a follow-up on your luggage lock replacement project.
Not much info is shared on the linked site wrt the physical specs / diamensions of the lock set or the locking tang / latch info, like whether the locking tang is held in place by two screws (as in pix of reply #15) or by a single lock nut.