Author Topic: Looking for Dash Cam Recommendations.  (Read 746 times)

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
Looking for Dash Cam Recommendations.
« on: January 30, 2024, 07:32:55 »
I am just renewing my bike insurance and noticed that there is a specific mention in the documents of dash cam footage, in this case having footage protects my excess.

I have been looking at cameras for a while, but this really is the prompt to do something, so, any recommendations? Preferably that don't cost a small fortune, I just want five minute loops front and back.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline radu

• Bike: DL650A L8
Re: Looking for Dash Cam Recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 18:08:14 »
hi, I have a Gopro 7 on my bike. The casing is fitted so I only have to remove the camera from it's skeleton frame when not in use. The battery lasts about 45 minutes, but it can be used while plugged in to a battery pack or a 12v socket so you can use it for hours. There are other options with wired in front and back camera, but I have my Gopro for a while now and I use it as well when I'm going in holidays as well.
When my gopro brakes or gives up, I might consider a wired in front and back option.   

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 20:11:56 »
I have never heard of that.... who is the insurance company?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 22:00:04 »
I’ve been looking at the Innovv K6 (front and rear cameras) as it gets good reviews.

Easy to fit. I’d just plug the system into the USB socket for power.

£249 delivered, plus what ever it costs for a 256 micro SD card from Amazon or alike.

I’ve got a dashcam in the car, had one in my van, so I’m thinking why not on my bike? 🤔

Offline NeilM

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 07:31:22 »
Brockett, I'm insured with BeMoto.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 11:03:29 »
I am very interested on the result of your quest as I too would like a front/ rear camera set-up.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Jim13_Wee_Strom

• Bike: DL650A K9 Black, 98 Trophy 900 in Silver.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 14:18:31 »
I'd be wary of having too large an sd card or of storing too much information on an sd card mounted in any dash cam. If you abide by all of the rules, all of the time when riding a bike or driving the car (as we do  :icon_wink:) no problem... An sd card and the footage thereon can be considered as evidence in the event of an accident.

I'm not saying don't get one... be careful with your evidence if you do.
Don't sweat what you can't influence...
IBA Member

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 14:34:16 »
Yeah ,that has always stopped me getting one.
Now if you could get one that only comes on in the red circles,then turns off at the nationals ,I'm in.
Lots of bikes,all new Kwaks for example have crash incident recorders that continually record what you do , throttle/speed etc, in a loop,and save it as evidence in the case of a crash.Both parties and the Police can get access to it with a court order.
On the fence on that one.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 19:29:00 »
IIRC I have read previously that bike mounted cameras can be seized much more easily than rider mounted cameras (I.e. on your helmet).

IMO there are that many people with dash cams now, and much more CCTV, so realistically if you haven't recorded yourself doing something daft then someone else probably has...

https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2016/02/the-camera-never-lies-2/

Offline Phild

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 19:39:36 »
I’ve only heard of people being prosecuted using Dashcam footage when they’ve made it public….. ie YouTube / facebook etc🤷‍♂️

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 21:59:48 »
But....if a drunk, stoned, texting unlicensed uninsured twoc teenager pulls out and t-bones you and your dashcam says you were 4mph over the limit it will affect the way claims are settled. Authorities always want the 2 minutes before and after any incident, I'm led to believe.

Offline NeilM

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 07:17:52 »
Two minutes before and after is correct.

I have cycled for years with a front camera and I can only think of a tiny number of occasions when, after an 'incident' I didn't submit a video because of self incrimination... in other words, I was being as much of a twat as the person attacking me with their car.

I am still searching for a camera. I don't want to spend the hundreds that an Innova system would cost, as 99.5% of the time the super high quality footage will stay on the SD card, so it really doesn't matter how well colour corrected it is, or how high the frames per second are, but I obviously just want footage good enough to clearly record registration numbers, which my cheap as chips, Go Pro knock off ebay special action camera has always done perfectly.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 18:15:00 »
I think 4mph over the speed limit would only cause an issue IF it had directly contributed to the accident. I.e. could you have braked and stopped (or, swerved) to avoid said twoccy teenager, or would it still have happened.

If you submit footage through Op Snap, they do warn you can also be done if you have committed some kind of offence too - I.e. make sure your driving or riding is squeaky clean 1 min before and 1 min after - so don't submit any footage of you antagonising someone then them reacting!

There are several options on Aliexpress, I would avoid the cheapest of the cheap, but unsure if there would be much difference between the £60-70 odd dual mc camera systems and the £120-150 ones. Make sure you get one that states it records in mp4, you're then less likely to get a mjpeg type that looks like a donkeys other name.

Offline Berty5000

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 20:14:47 »
I got a Drift Ghost XL a couple of years ago. Affordable but very good. I think you can get one for £149. Video quality is decent. Sound quality - lots of wind noise but you can either turn the mic off or connect an external mic, with a regular jack connector (unlike go pro) and place that somewhere less exposed, eg. Inside helmet or under seat. I had it attached to the side of my helmet with one of the fittings but there are other options. There is a free app and you can control the camera from your phone. It all works very well.

It is way cheaper than a go pro. Far, far better than the cheapo options on the likes of amazon. I've tried cheapo go pro rip offs costing 50 quid and sent them all back. They're garbage.

Offline Phild

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 20:07:16 »
I’ve just fitted the INNOVV K6.

I’m only using the USB socket for the power supply. I’ve also modified the mounting hardware to make it look tidier (well I think it’s tidier🤷‍♂️).

I’ve put a little protection on the plastics under the front cables. They’re not touching the plastics, but I want to make sure that if the wind causes them to move, no damage is done.

I’ll put a few photos on of the mounting points and power point. Then some screen shots of the view front / rear / both together.

I haven’t been out on the road yet, but there is no evidence of vibrations on the videos whilst on tick over.

One of the expensive options on the market, but I’m spoiling myself with this bike.😉

Offline Phild

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 20:08:32 »
And the screen shots…..

Offline Phild

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2024, 19:20:30 »
Fitted it Wednesday, needed it on my first run out with it on Thursday.

Thank goodness I had it fitted…..

Claim going through so I can’t divulge details. The footage fully vindicates me.👍

Offline NeilM

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2024, 06:49:17 »
Oh No!

Hope you are OK.

Bikes can be repaired, we are a little more fragile ( although we hate to admit it).

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2024, 07:29:47 »
Phild,
A silver lining to a black cloud ,I hope it all works out for you.
Take it easy now.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2024, 08:36:32 »
Hope you're OK, can't wait for the movie to come out.
 :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh: