Author Topic: best tyre or touring  (Read 347 times)

Offline Zola

• Bike: DL1050XT 2021
best tyre or touring
« on: October 04, 2021, 15:27:49 »
Hello will be doing a lot of touring next year all in England at the moment, any suggestions on tyres will b going of road dirt/gravel on some occasions to find wild camping sites will be fully loaded on my 1050xt kind regards zola   
MotoStromAdv

Offline Youngman

• Bike: DL650 K9, CBR954 '03
Re: best tyre or touring
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 10:45:21 »
I've been using Michelin Pilots on my Strom. Grippy straight out of the box.
If you are touring the UK, there's not a huge amount of accessible dirt to be honest - but there are some rough access roads into wild camping areas. My advice would be stick to road tyres for comfort and safety. Nobblies don't work too well at speed down a motorway or zipping round corners in the wet IMHO.
It's difficult to soar with the Eagles when you're really a Turkey

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2 White
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 10:54:39 »
I guess a compromise would be Michelin Anakees which are heavily road but designed for light off-road work (gravel/dirt tracks)
That said, I used Anakee 3s once and I think the most off-road I went was a gravel car park and parking in a field. I've stuck to 100% road tyres since & not had any issues.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:55:02 »
I've got Anakee Adventures on my Vee.
Caveat of coming from quite squared Anakee IIIs so not a completely fair comparison but....

Loved the feel of them straight away, really nice smooth transition from centre to shoulder and they feel as solid as the Anakee III did, no squirm or wobble from them being a tiny bit knobblier. They don't howl or buzz at motorway speeds and they feel a fair bit better on loose gravel and grass than the IIIs did. They are also super confidence inspiring in the wet and you are talking the UK here ;)
I've no idea what the mileage will be like, probably worse than a pure road tyre for sure but my bike is a toy not a commuter and so I'll pay a bit extra for a good time over a long time ;)

That being said, my friend goes everywhere I do on a set of Road 5 Trails so I probably don't 'need' the 20% off road capability.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 12:31:46 »
Another endorsement for the Anakee Adventures...  :thumb:

Managed a few off road excursions and found them to be very capable on gravel etc but if you hit the mud be prepared to get stuck . 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline The Doctor 46

• Bike: DL650 L2, BMW F650GS
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 20:04:54 »
I used Michelin Pilots on a BMW R1150 GSA. Brilliant tyres and lasted ages, can't remember how many miles but a lot.

Offline rikpward

• Bike: DL1050XT, Moto Morini 350 Strada, Buell XB9R Firebolt
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 09:01:49 »
Mich Road 5 - simples - it's the best all weather tyre on the market and the rear should last around 10,000 - 15,000 miles (I have heard them lasting 20k)

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 09:28:20 »
I must be doning something wrong then as I struggle to get 5k mile's out of the Road 5 rears I've used, standard and trail.

Offline rikpward

• Bike: DL1050XT, Moto Morini 350 Strada, Buell XB9R Firebolt
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 09:39:07 »
I must be doning something wrong then as I struggle to get 5k mile's out of the Road 5 rears I've used, standard and trail.
How often do you do burnouts, quarter-mile wheelers or carry a 25 stone pillion?

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2 White
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 10:35:23 »
I think it'll depend on what you class as usable. I'm happy to run my tyres until they get down to the wear bars, even though they're very squared off (to the point where they can almost stand up straight when off the bike) but I was mainly doing motorway miles so a squared off rear tyre wasn't an issue.
If I was to be more interested in good handling, and riding more twisties, I'd be replacing them much sooner - probably <10,000 miles (my last tyres went to 19,000 miles)
I think this is why some get much higher mileages, but also why some notice a massive difference in handling when they eventually replace tyres - my last tyres change initially felt like the bike wanted to fall to the side compared to the old ones.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 11:55:18 »
No wheelie's or burnouts though I do carry a pillion some weekends but not 25 stone, half that and not that often lately and I take every tyre to the wear bars. When I was younger and skint I'd file the wear bars off and get a bit more!  I must stop twisting that thing in my right hand.
 The 1000 is much harder on tyres than the 650, more weight, more torque.