Author Topic: Virus!  (Read 21431 times)

Offline falkland bomber

• Bike: Kawasaki Versy's 1000 Grand Tourer
Re: Virus!
« Reply #360 on: May 16, 2020, 10:53:52 »
Sorry old school don't trust shrinks or combat stress some of my mates said it made things worse.

In my day in the RAF as I was in 82  they the RAF didn't recognise PTSD they called it LMF (lack of moral fibre ) you didn't want that on your permanent records.

So had to learn to cope some days better than others it was going back onto the bike 5 years ago that I found this really helped need open spaces.

So in a way social distancing is helping as I don't do crowds .
Old Bald Soldier

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2020, 11:22:45 »
I have a hand in managing the counselling contract at my work and the likes of that and CBT will only really work if the person is receptive to the whole concept. If they dismiss it as voodoo or hippie touchy feely nonsense then it's a waste of time. I've seen some good results, and some where it wasn't for them, but no one has come away worse because of it. We make sure that nobody is pressured into engaging which is where that feeling would most likely come from.

There's no universal cure, but doing nothing about it is the worst thing you can do. Craig on the Doghouse channel was very open about what he'd been going through the last while & makes some sense in what he says in his first real vid since he came back.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2020, 13:29:48 »
This is an interesting read, in relation to what worked/didn't work for Jason Fox, from SAS: Who dares wins (the Channel 4 programme): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Scars/dp/B07G8DXYZ5/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=battle+scars&qid=1589632012&sr=8-1
I suspect some of it was exaggerated for the titillation of readers, but the stuff around mental health seems genuine and open.

Online MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2020, 19:50:19 »
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #364 on: May 18, 2020, 07:15:26 »
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #365 on: May 18, 2020, 08:30:52 »
As fishing is allowed but not motorbike riding for pleasure I cycled to my usual fishing spot.

All the accessible spots were taken, groups of 3-5 lads aged 16-25. Definitely not all from the same household.

One of the groups near me packed up and went down the line offering the scraps of bait they had left.

They got told to back off by a few of us and completely disregarded what anyone said.  :icon_batterup:

If I was to expect stupid people to do stupid things it would be around here.

The VE Day distanced street parties in the estate didn't stay distanced once 3-4 cans had been drunk. :obscene-drinkingchug:

I saw a group of about 8 sitting distanced in two adjoining front gardens.
One of them leaned over the wall and showed the other householders a video on his phone.
Cans got passed out buy one bloke.

I'm so glad I'm not 'local' and my parents weren't related and were from different villages.
Let's just say the sales of velcro closure shoes are proportionally quite high around here.  :shock:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #366 on: May 18, 2020, 08:41:02 »
I make "Social distancing" easy by imagining everyone around me is made of shit. In some cases it doesn't need much imagination.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #367 on: May 18, 2020, 08:51:08 »
A workmate tells people who are too close " imagine your favourite relative lying dead on the ground between us".  :shock:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #368 on: May 18, 2020, 09:05:09 »
I'm finding the older generation are making huge efforts to put 20ft between themselves.

Where the teenagers up to about 25 years think 2-3 inches is about right as long as you don't get caught.

The drug dealers around the estate are quite visible atm, they are the same people in the same cars doing loops all the time.
Why haven't the police stopped and searched.
I don't give a shit if drug addicts don't get what they "need".  lol

I'm also alarmed by the amount of yobs who are now out honing around since England have sort of allwed but not condoneing pleasure riding.

I talked to one idiot on a drz-sm on a cycle path yesterday.
I said it's still not allowed in Wales, haven't you heard the Wales news.
He said "yeah, but I'll tell the police that I only watch the England news, if they can catch me!"

Over on Facebook though:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #369 on: May 18, 2020, 09:12:54 »
[18:08, 17/05/2020] Keith H: Crewe, Leek, Lady Bower Reservoir, Snake Pass, Buxton, Cat and Fiddle, Congleton, and Home. Idiots on motorcycles as far as you could see, of course excepting me and Chris. Snake Pass something to see on a Sunday afternoon after lockdown, motorcyclists dicing with death on every bend.

[18:08, 17/05/2020] Keith H: Not me but someone else from IAM.

A friend of mine showing me a post from another forum....

Offline Tusker

« Reply #370 on: May 18, 2020, 14:37:41 »
Did anyone else catch the "Bikers flood beauty spots" discussion on Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show..  What a load of absolute shite spoken by both sides of the debate.

Offline SuzukiSte

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #372 on: May 18, 2020, 15:47:09 »
I did Tusker and I agree with you. Neither side was particularly great, and I thought the representative of bikers came across as a bit of a muppet.

If you're going to ride your bike now, and you decide to stop somewhere, maybe it's best not to do it in small towns or worse (as claimed) knock on people's doors to ask to use their loo, or pee in alleyways.
The biker could have condemned such actions, and made a fair argument for their being nothing inherently wrong with riding a motorbike providing bikers respect other people and follow the social distancing etc that we're being asked to do.
The council representative could have been challenged on opening the public loos, so if anyone has to stop whilst passing through then they could do so without causing the issues she referred to, this would include walkers/cyclists etc.

(I'm not riding yet BTW but if I was I'd recognise that some people are still scared and act accordingly and I certainly wouldn't stop anywhere looking like the pics from Matlock. That's likely to get bikers banned from riding until July)

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #373 on: May 18, 2020, 15:53:54 »
Hawes apparently had around 60 bikes, their riders were urinating in tbe car parks. Wouldn't surprise me if the locals put tractor roadblocks out for next weekend.

Offline Tusker

« Reply #374 on: May 18, 2020, 16:54:24 »
it will have happened in all biker hot spots, just a few points:

1. Bikers do not congregate in beauty spots. They congregate in towns that have beauty spots and great riding roads around them.
2. It is not only bikers who congregate in these towns but we are the most visible. If Hawes had 60 bikes it will also have had 60 cars and 20 pushbikers.!!
3. There are towns down south as well as up north (that is a dig at the usually Southcentric BBC) apparently there were no gatherings of motorbikes south of Stoke !!!
4. The complaints from locals and thier officials are not Anti -bikers, they want us there, just not right now         all IMHO

Offline falkland bomber

• Bike: Kawasaki Versy's 1000 Grand Tourer
« Reply #375 on: May 18, 2020, 17:25:12 »
While I do not condone the sort of behaviour being reported on here why go to these towns when there is nothing open pointless.

I have researched we can ride for pleasure no distance restrictions other than only in England.

Do like I do avoid the normal places we would congregate go alone I am putting my own restrictions no more than 100 miles or 2 hours from my home so no stopping only once for a brew from my flask the motorway services toilets are open if you need them.

And the important rule try to self isolate where possible.

Let's not take the pee in this and spoil it for all don't see the need to say travel from London to Whitby for a bag of chips but artistry and start the long road to normality.
Old Bald Soldier

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #376 on: May 18, 2020, 18:19:11 »
Not just bikers out at the weekend it seems. This is taken between Thorpe and Ilam, Derbyshire. All trying to get to Dovedale I presume.......but why go to somewhere that everyone else is likely to be.
Not my photo by the way, I stayed home all day Sunday I knew what was about to happen.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #377 on: May 18, 2020, 18:27:02 »
FB, that sounds sensible to me. Avoiding the crowds is a good idea by riding away from the hotspots too.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Tusker

« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2020, 18:28:29 »
I'm with the majority, before yesterday we (me +2) had decided next Monday "Bank Holiday" we are riding. Without further detailed guidance from the government we decided that we would avoid gathering places, we would obviously stay in England and even avoid the very popular roads. We are taking flask and biscuits and we will stop somewhere out of town and remote for chats and brews. We will have a great day out and will upset nobody. We will not put ourselves or anybody else at risk. Best of all we will not spout bollocks about our rights to be anywhere we like !!!! Trouble is Biker bashers will not even notice us..     

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2020, 18:57:15 »
I was out this Sunday for a two up ride with the missus. I set my Satnav to B roads for our entire journey there and back.
Some of my route was close to box hill, there were bikes everywhere but we managed most of our journey avoiding the masses.
Chief trouble maker 🙂