Author Topic: Genmar Up & Back risers  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Little_Chris

Genmar Up & Back risers
« on: July 01, 2013, 23:29:05 »
To cope with a torn rotator cuff and a 3000 mile Southern Germany tour in three weeks, I did this :

1. First Impressions/Unboxing Impressions

I bought these second hand off Fat Rat. Considering they'd previously been used on his Tiger, they showed no signs of wear. I think this is testament to the manufacturing quality and finish of Genmar products.

2. Initial Setup/Installation
Designed to fit any 22mm (7/8") bar and supplied with good quality stainless allen bolts.

Very easy to install. I simply placed a blanket across my tank, removed the existing riser top brackets, lay the bars on the tank and then fitted the new bottom bracket. Lifted the bars back on and fitted the new top bracket. Fifteen minutes tops.

The instructions say tighten to 22Nm but I used medium Loctite (although not necessary) so did then up to about 16Nm.

The only adjustment I needed to make was to the brake cable. Although it fitted OK it was extremely tight so I removed the bracket holding it to the bottom yoke which gave it about 7mm of play. No new cables were fitted.

3. Real World Testing (how did it perform)

I did 100 miles over the weekend and the difference was amazing. It now allows me to ride either as before with my arms slightly bent and me leaning over the bars or sit bolt upright with my forearms parallel with the road or anywhere in-between. Basically I can now adjust my arm position to suit my riding style at any one time.

4. Specs & Other noteworthy facts

As they up 25mm & back 35mm, the actual distance the bars have moved is 43mm without new cables.

What the manufacturer says -

"The risers replace the stock 7/8" tube type handlebar clamp-cap to raise the bars up 1" (25mm) and back 1 3/8" (35mm). This will help to relieve wrist and neck pain on long rides. May require some re-routing of control cables, wiring, or hoses. Both universal riser part numbers are the same in appearance.  The X102B is the black powder coated version of X102. Does not fit 1" tube handlebars."

http://www.genmarmfg.com/shop/universal-risers/x102-detail.html

5. Tester's Opinion (summary)

Fantastic - Whether you buy these or a similar make, the comfort benefit is superb. I'm 5'10" and it takes me from a 2 degree lean to a zero degree lean and a more neutral arm position ~ Look here - http://www.cycle-ergo.com/ and once you've selected your bike, use the vehicle customisation section to see the difference it makes to posture.

6. Star Rating

I give it    <!-- s:star: -->:star:<!-- s:star: -->  <!-- s:star: -->:star:<!-- s:star: -->  <!-- s:star: -->:star:<!-- s:star: -->  <!-- s:star: -->:star:<!-- s:star: -->       

1 star = piece of crap
2 star = maybe I should have done more research before buying this?
3 star = decent bit of kit for the money
4 star = better than expected with some nice extras/features
5 star = does it have a sister I can marry?! (aka I will buy this again!)

7. Pictures

Shanks' Pony > Second Hand Brown BMX > Eddie Merckx racer > 556 Bus > Yamaha RXS100 > Honda CB250 Super Dream Deluxe > Yamaha RD350 YPVS > Kawasaki GT750 > 1300cc Custom Trike > Suzuki DL650 Glee