Author Topic: Throttle Aid Cramp Buster - £8.91  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Mark Fresh

Throttle Aid Cramp Buster - £8.91
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:00:50 »
I read about these on a US forum just after having ridden from Bristol to Canterbury along the picturesque M4, M3, M25, M26 and M2 route.  After about an hour my throttle wrist was cramping and during the couple of stops I had I was flexing and shaking my hand like I was shooing away a persistent wasp.

Anyway I read about them and bought one as I was doing the same journey 2 weeks later and didn't fancy the pain again.  I was actually looking at cruise control options when I came across them. There's a few different makes of them available out there including a Scottolier one but this one seemed a bit cheaper and had free postage. I assume they're all pretty much the same.

First Impressions/Unboxing Impressions
It's a bit of plasctic that comes in a bikeit.co.uk packet

Initial Setup/Installation
Pull back the ring and place over the throttle. Move it as far over to the right as possible, put it in a flattish position to start with and then adjust on your first few rides. You may think it gets in the way, well I did at first but I now have it on there all the time including a 20 mile commute and I forget it's there.

Real World Testing (how did it perform)
It's good, simple and it works.
I rode it for 2 hours in a downpour and it didn't slip which was nice.

Specs & Other noteworthy facts
The one I bought: <!-- m -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... UTF8&psc=1<!-- m -->

Summary
So,  does it work?  Yes
Does it get in the way?  Surprisingly no
Even in slow traffic? You get used to it being there and I find I even use it to my advantage in traffic.
How's your wrist cramps? Gone,  I've done that journey (about 3 hours in total)  two more times and no sign of cramp.
What does your wife think? As she's a physiotherapist she thinks it's great as it relieves the pressure off my flexors which apparently is a good thing.
Would you recommend it? Yes.  I might even get one for the left side so I can relax that one a bit too. If you're going to be riding at a constant speed for a while get one,  if you don't get on with it you haven't lost much or just put it on the left side and give that wrist a rest.

Star Rating

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
5 Stars. It's cheap, simple and it works.

Picture