Author Topic: How long to the pads and discs last?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline thelazybiker

How long to the pads and discs last?
« on: June 28, 2009, 19:58:18 »
I'm just in the process of planning a trip and am just wondering how many miles the brake pads and discs will last? Riding mainly on tarmac. It has ABS if that make a difference? I've never owned one bike long enough to have to replace the pads haha

Thanks

Offline Iggy

Re: How long to the pads and discs last?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:35:41 »
don't know, but I recently upgraded the brakes on my 650 with braided lines and some HH pads in preparation for a trip.  I covered around 2.5k miles two-up and fully loaded with a lot of mountain roads.

The new front pads were totally trashed when I got home.  Luckily they were freebies that I was given for evaluation.  The make was Armstrong so you might want to give 'em a miss although the brakes were brilliant compared to stock.  I will however be trying something different next time even if it means paying for 'em.

Iggy.
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:28:06 »
Different people will get different mileage on the same type of brake pads. It all depends how you ride it, hard braking and more load/weight are common factors that will make your mileage different from someone else's.

My advice would be to take an odometer reading when you fit some pads and then compare that to when you have to replace them. If you are happy with the type of pads you had on, putting the same ones on again will at least give you some idea of which kind of mileage you can expect from the new pads. That is assuming that other 'variables' (like your braking style/how often you ride with more weight added,etc.) stay roughly the same.

If you knew what the mileage was when you put the current pads on and you know how thick they originally were then you can measure them now and get an estimation of how long they might last (just remember to keep in mind that on your trip you will have extra weight.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline VstromDan1000

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:35:04 »
I changed my front pads at my 11k service.  I've upgraded to EBC HH pads which are a lot better IMHO.

Its a heavy bike and with lots of heavy riding comes heavy braking.

I like the idea of the GSXR brake upgrade but its far beyond my know how!!!! :fix:
CALM DOWN AND CARRY ON

4 wheels carry the body, 2 wheels carry the soul

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline markgsx

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 14:07:15 »
I like the GSXR idea, got the know how not the cash!!! As said there are lots of variables. if your worried just get some new ones now and fit 'em, making a note of odometer as mentioned and you got it for future refernce. I replace tyres before I replace pads and generally get 6000 to a tyre (very square at the end!)