Author Topic: to those unlucky ones...  (Read 1439 times)

Offline newbiker

to those unlucky ones...
« on: June 25, 2009, 15:34:36 »
For you chaps that have unfortunately had an off on a bike, I was just wondering whether there are any tips or tricks you can share for reducing the likelihood of injury. I read an article once, where the rider says if you are sliding down the tarmac, to lift both hands and feet into the air. Sounds easy. Bet its not though.

Offline badger 1050

Re: to those unlucky ones...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 15:38:09 »
best advice is don't do it it less painfull that way  :shrug:

Offline markgsx

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 15:51:48 »
Happens to quick, you're more or less thinking what the feck happened rather than what should I do!!

Offline VstromDan1000

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 15:52:17 »
I've had more than my fair share of off's, both professionally and privately. Like many of the other emergency service staff on this site, I’ve also been at the scene of hundreds of different types of bike related crashes.  No two off’s are the same, what worked once won’t work again. What works on the track won’t work on the street.

No matter what type of off it is, it will hurt.  The only real advice is :- Always wear proper gear, never be tempted to ‘just pop out’ wearing normal denim jeans, or God forbid, shorts and a t-shirt.  If we knew we were going to have a crash, we wouldn’t go out. :soap:

I can honestly say that if you can walk away from it then it was a ‘good’ off.
 :thumb:
CALM DOWN AND CARRY ON

4 wheels carry the body, 2 wheels carry the soul

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline bigdunk

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 17:13:22 »
be lucky :shrug:

Offline DESERTRAIDER

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 19:08:50 »
last time I crashed was on a track week in France a few years ago , I remember thinking to myself balls this is going to cost ££££ to fix just before it went all dark , I woke up 5 mins later with medics just about to cut my leathers off did put up abit off a fight to stop them , they cost me a bloody mint (made to fit my rippling fat body). just don't fall off.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 20:22:44 »
If you could think that fast, and react fast enough, then you wouldn't be having the off.

Offline doebag

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:47:20 »
In my experience of one major off.........

pray you do not hit anything. I came off at about 60 mph, slid down the centre line of the road following the bike, came to a stop knowing there was no other traffic about that early in the morning, did a quick mental inventory then picked myself up.

Hitting kerbs,cars,trees and stuff at speed is a lot more painful.
'Dying ain't much of a living, boy'

Outlaw Josey Wales

Offline Carl Mac

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 13:16:59 »
This is more of a prevention tip.

When filtering keep your eyes on the front wheels of the car in front of you its a good indercation  they are about to turn right and gives you vital seconds to react.

Feel the fear and do it anyway

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:36:14 »
I've never had an off and I guess I should consider myself lucky for that. I have no idea how I will react when the situation presents itself, but I always tell myself that I should remember not to try to break my fall/stop with my hands. When I was young I rode with a jeans and a t-shirt, then I had a gap where I wasn't riding for about 10 years and I recently got back to biking, this time I spent an insane amount of time find the right gear and I don't get on the bike unless I'm properly kitted.

Personally I think that avoiding the situation is the best, that said, you can never be 100% sure what the fool in the cage is going to do next. As soon as I get my UK bike licence I'll be looking into getting some advanced rider training, even if it helps to avoid a single off it'll be worth the time, money and effort.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Dedy

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 23:18:01 »
As others have said, the best advice is lots of observations and always wear protective clothing. If your fairly new then there are lots of good biker courses out there. Bikesafe and a lot of county councils have rider safety events. Check them out.
One day, someone showed me a glass of water that was half full.  And he said, "Is it half full or half empty?"  So I drank the water.  No more problem.