Author Topic: panzer the weirdness has begun  (Read 2168 times)

Offline minkyhead

panzer the weirdness has begun
« on: June 24, 2009, 00:08:40 »
kept this quiet  lee     :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  

mechanico lee
58 plate gsa 6000 miles
Has anyone had this fault ? its very rare it does it ,but switch on let it go through the dash checks, press start button and no crank over

Yes I make sure in neutral , side stand up, run switch on ect. ect., try to press button still no crank over.

Switch ignition on and off, put stand up and down, jump up and down in the seat a bit !! and it cranks over

My ideas was perhaps the gear position switch or side stand switch ??
any ideas , maybe I look very silly sat on my bike an jumping round like a cowboy on a bucking wild bull...........yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa

nothing like a good jump every morning  :shock: ....sorry couldn't resist        :shrug:  :thumb:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191435
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline jilljoy

Re: panzer the weirdness has begun
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 19:47:38 »
I think side stand switch is favourite

Offline mechcanico lee

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 21:26:02 »
Trust you find that Minky haha, you forum stalking troll you!!   yes I thought the weirdness had begun too, all them jap bikes I've had without a wiff of trouble.......oh my I thought ere we go, saying that it hasn't done it since I blew the water out of the gear position switch so I think I fixed it myself.

Maybe I will buy another vstrom just to have as back up just in case the german jalopy throws its hand in when it starts spitting.......its spittin ,its spittin save yourselves !!   :shock:  lol

Offline Kawasuki

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 23:03:33 »
Hello Lee, its just a bit of water in that cheap red diesel you bought  ###
I'm with you m8....... the best bike in the world.........untill BMW start building V Twins
If you don't have a bike...........then you're not a biker.........

Offline markgsx

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 16:05:26 »
Most unreliable bike in the world I'll think you'll find!!!

Offline Kawasuki

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 20:21:08 »
Mark I've had 1 !!!!! never let me down once !!!! and I think you'll find all the little problems they have had have now been replaced by the revised items. sounds to me that your a closet fan who is trying to work himself up to buying 1 !!!!! Go on Mark let the world know your a BMW fan !!! stand up and be counted, be a man, not a mouse

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 00:14:01 »
sorry m8   u know I'm the  gs antchrist    ...

search      vs trom site      withe the word      failure        ....     zero   matches    

search  uk gser   with the word  failure                       ...          500  that's twenty pages  
and that only cos it cuts off at 500 on a search archive          :wtf:

leaking    v strom  9 threads

gs   tot 500   .......   20 pages      

broken gearbox  
strom    nil  
gs   125    ......    5 pages      

ews fault  
strom      0

gs  500.....

search ureliable      

strom   9 matches   [all but one are  refering to the gs  

gs     err   tot 500         ....   20 pages    

stranded      

v strom    1
gs     465       19 pages    

I think I detect a pattern here        :shock:
I know its a big site  but      jesus    

so on so    on    ....... its not to l8  m8     :grin:  :grin:

Offline Stumpy

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 06:19:57 »
Have to admit - most of my advanced group were riding BMWs ... they're slowly starting to drift away from them due to all the problems they're having.

One GS less than three years old is on its second gearbox after the previous one exploded (literally) and second wiring loom (after the previous one burned out).  It is also starting to show signs of fatigue in the subframe (although is not as yet deemed to be dangerous).

One RT only coming up to two years old is now on its fourth engine.

Another GS less than six months old is now on its second drive shaft after the previous one siezed.

Generally, it seems those who have older BMWs (like >5 years old) have better reliability.  The general consensus in the industry (after speaking to several dealers - both BMW and non BMW) is that BMWs have gone from niche market machines to incredibly popular almost overnight (blame Ewan and Charlie I guess).  The problem is that BMW have had to ramp production right up, but this has been at the expense of reliability/quality.

I guess they'll probably be able to turn it around eventually but it is going to take time.

that's why I personally wouldn't touch a new BMW with a barge pole (unless someone was going to buy it for me with their own money)...
Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous?

C code. C code run. Run code run…please!

Offline mechcanico lee

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:22:23 »
Yeah yeah alright there unreliable blah blah and twice the price of a strom , I myself have read through the pages of uk gsers with stories of all kinds of mechcanical failures...........engines falling out bike snapping in half, final drives ending up wrapped round the mirrors blah blah...... yes I agree it doesn't look good and I have come from a whole list of the mega reliable jap bikes 4 of them being vstroms with no problems what so ever.
In my case I just wanted a change, something different that sums it up really ,plus I only keep my bikes for 2 years so it still has 17 months warranty on it so its not so bad for me if the drive shaft snaps and hits me in my shin so it will get fixed ( the shaft not my shin).

Regardless of the faults the gs does grow on you and they have a massive following , its one of the strange "in the club" things................its like Harley Davison squad, for me there a vibrating pile of american nuts and bolts where the owners are brain washed into thinking and living with.......no brakes, doesn't handle, 1 stroke engine (1 stroke every lamp post) cannot find neutral coz of the dragging clutch..........."yeah that's how they are buddy"......what ever ,face bovvered! but the owners love them and won't hear a word slating there chrome beauty, so leave em to it each to there own.

I have always rated stroms there really good bikes and excellent value for money, I think there are better adventure style bikes out there but there's nothing as good as a strom for the money,  a very capable bike alround period.

The gs has got good road manners ,suspension and brakes are great without mods the vstrom has a great engine.......there's areas where the strom is better than the gs and vice versa.
 A freind of mine had one of them KTM 990 adventure ,I really liked the bike good engine , powerfull, great suspension , looked the biz but my was it heavy on fuel and it kept going wrong........starter motor, oil leaks and other faults but I cannot remember and the service from KTM was abismal waiting weeks for parts to come ect. ect. but I liked riding the bike ,pity really about the faults but that's how it is.

I am  riding to Austria next week on my gs with my other 800 gs freinds ( that's BMW 800gs not 800 freinds !!) is there any vstrom riders who want to come along but you must bring a tow rope  as you will be required to bail us out when our bavarian panzas go kaput :shock:  lol

Anymore  critisism for the gs  please take it up with Kawasuki...........or big Liam who also has a gs , oh yeah hes a big fecker as the name states and he will administor the fatal head stomp with his highly polished knee high German boots on...( heel click  ZEIK HEIL)    lol  lol

Offline markgsx

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:36:48 »
Quote from: "Kawasuki"
Mark I've had 1 !!!!! never let me down once !!!! and I think you'll find all the little problems they have had have now been replaced by the revised items. sounds to me that your a closet fan who is trying to work himself up to buying 1 !!!!! Go on Mark let the world know your a BMW fan !!! stand up and be counted, be a man, not a mouse

I've had 2 Liam  :neen:  Bothe brand new. First let me down with 4, yes 4 miles on the clock with oil pissing out of a porous engine casting. Not a good PDI. When fixed had terrible vibrations, spent months at dealer allegedly being looked at but in reality nothing happenening. Had to get BMW Germany involved, eventually some one in the UK rode it and agreed there was a problem. Got a phone call telling me they wanted to kep my bike another month while they rebuilt the engine. I said no and the soloution was to replace it with another new one. By 900 miles it had two new rear wheels, two new discs and a new final drive. By the time it got to 2700 the fuel injection controller went causing a lack of power, rear wheel lock up and a major heart skip!

I love the look of the GSA's, the brakes are fantastic, ride qualtiy is superb. If I could have one with a Jap engine I would have another! BMW are now using bargain bin products on their bikes. Look at your indicators then look at the indicators on new Guzzi's, look at F800GS mirrors then look at Guzzi 1200 Sport mirrors. Those are the obvious ones.

I bought mine thinking it would be the last new bike I bought and would keep for years because of their reliability etc but alas no. I just hope you two don't have any problems (in Lees case any more) with yours and you got the ones built on Monday morning after the blokes had a brilliant weekend and were on the ball!!!

Each to their own, you taken yours off road yet Lee?

Offline Kawasuki

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 19:45:12 »
don't worry Lee, complaints dept now open!!!!!!!
ALL STROM/KLV OWNERS ARE TO BE ROUNDED UP AND PUT INTO A SPECIAL WORK CAMP.
THEIR BIKES WILL BE RE-CYCLED INTO YET MORE PANZERS FOR THE BIG PUSH.
THEN WE WILL BE RE-EDUCATING THEM INTO THE 1000 YEAR GS REICH.
ANY THAT don't COMFORM WILL BE MADE TO RIDE A HARLEY DAVIDSON UNTILL THEY can't TAKE IT ANYMORE.
( Forget that last one I'm not that mean )

Kawasuki, aka BIG LIAM, aka Rommel   lol :neen:

Offline Kawasuki

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 20:01:11 »
I do hear what your saying Mark, but mine is a different story, I covered 7k on my GSA no problem, all weather, and off road and through rivers. I covered 5k on a 1200RT fault free, A good friend of mine travels to Leeds and back 5 days a week 20k a year he's done this for 5 years and now on his 3rd B'mer........100k and no probs.......
I'm not saying there is'nt issues out there, coz there definatley are......... and don't forget how many GS's have been sold.......GS sales out number all the other enduro sales put together.....so you will get mor probs.... stand's to reason.
Also more probs seem to arise on the GS than the GSA, don't know why !!!!!!

Lets not forget the main thing.......Its all 2 wheels on the road....us against them tw##s in the tin cans........

Slainte

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 21:33:28 »
Quote from: "Kawasuki"
don't worry Lee, complaints dept now open!!!!!!!
ALL STROM/KLV OWNERS ARE TO BE ROUNDED UP AND PUT INTO A SPECIAL WORK CAMP.
THEIR BIKES WILL BE RE-CYCLED INTO YET MORE PANZERS FOR THE BIG PUSH.
THEN WE WILL BE RE-EDUCATING THEM INTO THE 1000 YEAR GS REICH.
ANY THAT don't COMFORM WILL BE MADE TO RIDE A HARLEY DAVIDSON UNTILL THEY can't TAKE IT ANYMORE.
( Forget that last one I'm not that mean )

Kawasuki, aka BIG LIAM, aka Rommel   lol :neen:
shit man  you've got it bad  ....   funny though     :grin:  :grin:  lol

one week to go  ... :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline markgsx

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 23:08:58 »
Is this the point I say that my friend with a GS1150 had two rear drive bearing failures within six months?

Anyhow the japs n germans were on the same side so no rounding up please!!!

I'm just working out how to turn the Strom engine 90 degrees and puttin it in a GSA frame.....so watch your bikes ;-)

Offline Kawasuki

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 23:14:45 »
1 week to minky, oh yes, just upgrading to a 88mm cannon.   lol   lol

Offline Kawasuki

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 23:21:26 »
Your dead right about the 1150 mark. They up'd the engine from 1100-1150 and didn't bother doing feck all with the final drive.

Beware the knock at the door at 3 in the morning...... It may be your transport to the train station for re-education   lol

Offline markgsx

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 11:16:54 »
Oiiiii no final solution here thank you very much. I'm not getting on the Transpennine express though it is so late so often it might arrive at 3 in the morning!!