Author Topic: To ABS or not to ABS  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
To ABS or not to ABS
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:05:30 »
I'm still on a learner 125cc, next month I will be doing DAS training and the tests are to follow soon and then it is time to get the bike. I've already decided on a 650, but I'm pondering if I should get ABS or not.

If there is anyone here who needed to make the same decision in the past, I'd appreciate if you can tell me what you ended up deciding on and your reasons for it. I'd also like to know if you think you made the right decision now that you have been on the bike with/without ABS for a while.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Sven

Re: To ABS or not to ABS
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 20:59:43 »
I've got a DL650 with ABS and particually wanted one with it fitted when I brought it.
Here's my reasoning:
when riding in the dry there ain't no way you are going to lock up a front wheel on a good road surface( I've had a CBR 600 braking with back wheel in the air without locking the front) so it won't be used there. The only time it'll be used in the dry is on poor surfaces (gravel, etc) which if you're braking hard & hit it - ( for the majority of road riders ) its already too late - you'll probably be on your arse!!
But in the wet its a different matter. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a brilliant wet weather rider - so to know that I can't lock the wheels in the wet is a big boost to my confidence when its raining.  Recently rode from Norwich to Scotland (450 miles) in 9 hours of rain & I'm sure it improved my riding knowing in the back of my mind that I wasn't going to lock the wheels.
There seems to be a theory by some riders that they are so good that they don't need it & its taking away some control from them. Don't agree with that myself - if your a racer then yes but for the skill level of most road riders - rubbish.
Its practally fitted to all cars now & will probably be fitted to all bikes at some point in the future.
Anyway if it saves 1 crash - less pain for me and/or damage to my pride & joy - then for me its worth it.

Sven

Offline VstromDan1000

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 21:23:00 »
Get ABS, without any question get ABS.

ABS won't ruin the ride or the feel and 99% of the time you won't need it.  The 1% of the time you will need it, you'll be very thankful that you have it.  I doubt you’ll do much, if any, off-roading even if you do I’d still rather have it.
There is a reason its fitted, its fitted for your safety. As the good book states, sacrifice anything for safety but don’t sacrifice safety for anything.

As a new rider on a ‘proper’ bike, you’ll be experimenting with grip in corners and braking.  ABS could save you loads of grief (and repair bills). If the ABS comes on, you’ve got it wrong, learn from it and brake earlier or slow down.  I wish they did it on the 1000 cos I’d have it any day.

enjoy the bike :thumb:
CALM DOWN AND CARRY ON

4 wheels carry the body, 2 wheels carry the soul

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline markgsx

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 23:10:37 »
I'd go for ABS, can't get it on the thous though so I couldn't. I had it on my GSA and it was excellent. Never noticed it when riding hard so wasn't intrusive, in the wet it gave me more confidence. It can take a bit longer to stop but you ride to what distance you know you can stop in. Its that one time somethin happens, car out of a junction etc and instinctively you grab a handful of brake, then worth every penny.

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 14:42:57 »
I have got abs on the loan bike at the moment and I haven't noticed its there yet the lever feels better but that's compared to the strom. the strom lever seems to have more travel on it than other bikes I have had any way.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 18:33:18 »
Thanks for the replies, some compelling reasons there to get it. I'll definitely get one with ABS then, like Sven said, even if it saves just one crash it's worth it. Considering that I will be riding in all weather possible and knowing in the back of my head that it is there should I ever need it does sound comforting ;) I guess it will also add to resale value later on when it comes to it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 12:32:21 »
Was just poking around the Suzuki site and found a section on ABS - makes a good case for having a bike with it installed :-)

http://www.Suzuki-gb.co.uk/extra/onroad/000057/
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas