Author Topic: Camping advice....  (Read 4501 times)

Offline raggydan

Camping advice....
« on: June 13, 2009, 13:04:25 »
Hi all
I'm looking for a decent 2 man tent that packs up small enough to use on the wee.I'm a
camping novice so any advice in what to take along that the more experiencedof you out there deem to be  essentials would be great.
I will be using throwovers not fixed panniers(don't like them) with my topbox.
Cheers.

Anonymous

Re: Camping advice....
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 13:54:44 »
One piece of advice - don't use the topbox. You will get far more on your bike using panniers and the rack. I use a Coleman Coastline 3 tent - big enough to stand up in easy to put up and packs small enough to get on the bike.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Coleman_Coastline_3_Tunnel_Tent.html

These bags are really good for carrying stuff -

http://www.over-board.co.uk/catalog//bwaterproof-bags-and-casesb/duffel-bags/waterproof-duffle-bag-br-60-litres.p47.html

Offline coopmick

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 15:00:04 »
Must admit been thinking about the camping game myself so I'll be watching this with interest too.
 :thumb:
Treat life's little problems like your dog would ... If you can't eat it or shag it, ... Piss on it and walk away!!!

plongy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 15:15:59 »
While we're asking for advice, how about how do I persuade my lady that it would be loadsa fun to go off on the bikes and pitch up a tent somewhere and it ain't going to rain? She's cool with the first bit just can't get her past the B&B!

Offline raggydan

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 15:19:16 »
Quote from: "plongy"
While we're asking for advice, how about how do I persuade my lady that it would be loadsa fun to go off on the bikes and pitch up a tent somewhere and it ain't going to rain? She's great with the first bit just can't get her past the B&B!
As long as your tents got a high hydrostatic head rating then rain isn't a problem.So I'm told.

plongy

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 15:58:39 »
Quote from: "raggydan"
As long as your tents got a high hydrostatic head rating then rain isn't a problem.So I'm told.

I'll try that then!

Offline raggydan

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 16:40:49 »
after some exstensive searching on't net I've decided on this 1

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/ProductDeta ... te=Froogle

Packs down very small  48x15x15 cms.
Should do the job.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 18:29:29 »
While we're asking for advice, how about how do I persuade my lady that it would be loadsa fun to go off on the bikes and pitch up a tent somewhere and it ain't going to rain? She's great with the first bit just can't get her past the B&B!
Just leave her at home....

Offline ddbstrom

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 11:11:01 »
Raggydan - the Vango's a decent tent, but has got very little storage space in it - once you've put your helmet in the porch (phnarr phnar) there's not much room left. If storage room's not a problem then go for it, you'll be pleased.

Offline raggydan

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 20:00:52 »
well I was going to go for the 3 man and hopefully it will give the 2 of us a bit of room to
play with.
wadya reckon?

Offline Catballou

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 20:18:44 »

Explain to her how happy it would make you if she shared this little adventure with you  :grin:  Any good loving wife that likes to keep her hubby happy will see the error of her ways and agree to your request  :grin:

If she still says no you're stuffed mate  :neen:

I personally like camping, I love to sleep in a confined space with my guinness drinking hubby snoring and farting all night, the gentle background hum of all the other snoring people on the site, having no space to store things, cook things, traipsing down fields in the pitch black to use the bathroom, then a bloody queue when you get there, the lack of privacy, everything you own being wet when it rains, and couple that with the braying donkeys, singing from other campers and early morning quad bike practise on the meet at Andy's place it's fun fun fun all the way  :grin:   On the other hand it was BLOODY good fun, great company, meeting new people and non stop laughter... Yep I do love camping  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline ddbstrom

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 22:14:32 »
Quote from: "raggydan"
well I was going to go for the 3 man and hopefully it will give the 2 of us a bit of room to
play with.
wadya reckon?

The three man should be OK - just don't expect to party in it! The porch is OK, but you're a bit cramped if you want to cook anything and it's raining.  They are nice and stable in crappy weather though and for that price, I'd go for it!

Offline robby

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 23:16:53 »
I go camping with top box and panniers and the only thing that isn't in them is my tent...this is because unless you want to spend shit loads of money on a big tent that compacts down to a tea bag the sensible thing to do in my eyes is buy a cheap tent at least 1 more man space then you need(never enough room)and strap it on yr bike somewhere,give camping a go if you don't like it chuck the cheapo tent if you do like then you have your own experience of what better tent would suit your needs.
As for the missus thing if you get a solution sell it on e-bay...I'de buy it.

Offline chrisreid

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:24:23 »
yeah I agree with that, if there are two of you then you want a three man tent. if you have a tent that is too small then you will be touching the sides and then if it rains it will leak where you are touching!

camping is great, I personally rarely go to a camt site but just pitch where ever I want to stop. you end up sleeping in some stunning places this way :thumb:

or if the weather is nice don't bother with the tent and just bivvy bag it
2 Hillbillies, 2 Bikes, 22,000 Miles, 12 Weeks
www.mainlyduesouth.com
www.justgiving.com/mainlyduesouth

Offline Fletch

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 14:03:45 »
My advice is to get a tent with two porches and two entrances. This is great for storage in one porch and cooking in the other when its wet or for midnight expeditions with out having to climb over someone or (and I hang my head in shame at this) when you're camping on your own you can have an ensuite! :thumb:

Loads of different makes of tents out there. I go for small pack size. Weight isn't that much of an issue as all tents are light weight enough now. I have a vango storm 200. Really good tent. Looking at buying a coleman phact x2 tent next.

You do get what you pay for. Cheap tents are absolutely fine for a couple of weekends away per year. The more expensive ones provide better waterproofing and can stand higher winds. I plan to use mine year round so £150 is more than enough for a decent tent that will stand up to galeforce wind and rain.

Happy camping!
Always do just enough

MOTO-A-GO-GO!!!

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 21:46:45 »
The thing that always bothered me when I went on camping trips was having to bungy the tent on to the bike. You would find yourself in a foreign city somewhere and when you went for a walk you would be praying that nobody nicked the tent off the back of the bike.

This started years of keeping an eye out for camping kit that would fit inside a top box or pannier. Finally, I now have kit that can fit in a top box easily - tent, sleeping bag, stove, pots, torch etc

This doesn't mean I have a tiny little tent - I found a decent sized one that rolls up to about only 40cm X 20 X 20. It's from Decathlon Sports (sorry they only have a few shops in England). Here's a link:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/t3-ultralight-pro-3243187/#

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 13:00:31 »
When I camp I prefer to use the biggest tent I can get on the bike (its no fun being stuck in a tent you can't sit up in when its raining) also I can't bear being constrained in a mummy sleeping bag so I need a bigger bag. Most of the blokes I camp with also take a folding chair. It won't stop a determined thief but for short periods away from the bike I secure my stuff to the rack with a paksafe lock - http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Pacsafe-Wrapsafe

Offline derbex

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 13:57:34 »
A spangly dress and a mincing walk works for me  :shrug:

Opps - other sort of camping  :rain:

I'll get my coat.

Offline robby

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 23:57:33 »
lol

Offline KLV-Rider