Author Topic: Electrickery Problem  (Read 1436 times)

Offline KLV-Rider

Electrickery Problem
« on: May 12, 2009, 19:49:19 »
Electric gremlins have struck!!

The ignition fuse on my bike keeps blowing. It started on Sunday afternoon, 10metres from home the bike dies and I get the 'CHEC' message on my dash. Push the bike home, quick check of all the cut off switches (side stand, clutch, engine kill), no apparent problems there, check the fuses, ignition fuse blown. Change fuse, blows again immediately. If I turn the ignition on with the engine kill switch in the off position the fuse will only blow when the switch is flicked to on.

I've stripped the bike down today and can't find any worn/discolored wires, everything looks brand new.

Checked the wiring diagram in the workshop manual and after the kill switch you have two coils, the fuel pump relay, the ECU and the dealer mode plug. Have checked all the connections re-seating most and can't find an issue.

Any help appreciated.... :thumb:

(Electrics scare me, mechanically I could rebuild my bike but anything electrical I panic....help!!)

Offline badger 1050

Re: Electrickery Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 21:01:30 »
try it with the pump wiring off to eliminate that as an internal pump fault but does sound like a direct short to earth  you can rig a h/lamp bulb instead of the fuse and wriggle the wires and see if the bulb goes out  saves on the fuses I do this at work just be carefull of the bulb as it gets very hot

to sort out the bulb put  1 wire to each terminal if a 2 prong bulb and place the bear end in fuse holder if the short is present it should light the bulb up just like a test light but it can handle the amps

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 21:09:05 »
After a tough week finding the problem, it turns out it was corrosion effecting the connection block behind the radiator, where the kill switch attaches to the other wiring. After a good clean all is fine.... :thumb:

Offline Hillbilly650

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 13:01:13 »
Had a problem with this connector block on mine. Didn't blow the fuse but the headlights kept going out. Does work for a while after a good clean and WD40 to stop the corrosion but will eventually let for down again. On average 2 to 3 weeks with a little light rain during a trip.

I replaced my connector with a waterproof one from Demon Tweeks. Not cheap but not had the fault again.  :thumb:

Offline Carl Mac

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 17:51:05 »
it was corrosion effecting the connection block behind the radiator, where the kill switch attaches to the other wiring. After a good clean all is fine

Glad you sorted it mate I hate electrical problems its a huge process of elimination, I had one when I first got my bike it was stuck on main beam. Even the dealers would make there excuses when I said it was an electrical prob, Glad in a way coz I got a mate who ie quite nifty with this sort of stuff and fixed it in 10 mins. :thumb:

Feel the fear and do it anyway

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:19:59 »
Tell me about it, it seemed worse than it was as it affected the ignition circuit so I couldn't start the bloody bike, nightmare.... ###  ###

Give me his number Carl for future refference.... :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline Carl Mac

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 16:26:08 »
Give me his number Carl for future refference...

You ain't going to believe this mate but he has gone to work in Canada for 6 months. Fingers crossed I don't have any electric probs. He is setting up his own business using R.O.V's Remote Operated Vehicles, Those robot type things that go into deep water. If all goes well he will be staying out there and I've got an open invite. :thumb:  Have you got any ideas what it would cost me to get the bike over there and by what means, I was thinking in a container.

Offline GrahamT

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 20:31:22 »
Hi Trancera.
I work for a shipping line, so I know a bit about this. First, you can't go straight to a shipping line, they are only interested in full containers - and the smallest is 20' x 8' x 8'6 so a KLV might be a bit lonely in there. You will have to go to a consolidator or shipper, or a removal firm like Pickfords, that will stick it in a container with other stuff going to Canada. Naturally, it would need crating.

The good news is that no one is shipping anything nowadays, so freight rates are rock bottom. In effect you are only paying for the fuel and handling. However the shipper adds on their profit, so I can't give you any idea on costs.

Having said all that, I can't help feeling it would be better to sell it and buy a new one in Canada/US.

:-(
We used to have Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.
Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope.

Offline Carl Mac

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:57:37 »
Hi Graham,

Thanks for that mate very useful info, What ill probably do is go over there for a few weeks and if I decide to stay any length of time I would end up buying one. Or I could just borrow my mates Harley. :thumb:

Cheers

Offline GrahamT

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 16:45:47 »
A Quick update:
I had a word with a bloke in our Car Carrier division. They can take a bike - uncrated - from Southampton to Baltimore for $418 US, but for all the customs stuff, and getting it from Baltimore to Canada, you would use a forwarder, like TransGlobal Logistics, and that would probably double the cost, as a ball park figure.

At least it gives you an idea of what you would be letting yourself in for.
 :thumb:
We used to have Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.
Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope.

Offline Carl Mac

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 18:46:00 »
A Quick update:
I had a word with a bloke in our Car Carrier division. They can take a bike - uncrated - from Southampton to Baltimore for $418 US, but for all the customs stuff, and getting it from Baltimore to Canada, you would use a forwarder, like TransGlobal Logistics, and that would probably double the cost, as a ball park figure.

Thanks Graham I have made a note of these details, If I'm going to spend any length of time over there ill probably go for the buy one over there option, nothing is set in stone yet just putting the feelers out.

Cheers  :thumb:

Carl