Author Topic: Givi Airflow AF3101 and Cymarc and Sat Nav Mounting Bracket.  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Lincsman

Givi Airflow AF3101 and Cymarc and Sat Nav Mounting Bracket.
« on: September 19, 2020, 12:19:09 »
Good day one and all.
Has anybody fitted a Cymarc Sat Nav mounting bracket to a 2016 V Strom 650 that has a Givi Airflow AF3101, fitted to their bike. I've searched through that pages, and I can't find anything.
Have fun  :ty:
Fed up with anti motorcycle legislation ??. 
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??
https://www.mag-uk.org/

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Givi Airflow AF3101 and Cymarc and Sat Nav Mounting Bracket.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 14:27:40 »
Do you mean one of these..........................
https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/Suzuki-v-strom-650cc-2014-satnav-mounting-bracket-132-p.asp
if so, yes I have. Good solid fit with a bit of vibration on the Sat Nav but nothing to worry about (for me anyway). I have altered the ball mount slightly as a preference for Sat Nav mount.
I also have the Givi Airflow fitted and works a treat.
Although having that Sat Nav bracket behind the screen does take away a little bit of effectiveness but not much.
I have a 2013 but I think the 2016 is the same model?
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 14:42:11 »
Wow that's brilliant, thanks ever so much for letting me know. If you have time, and you don't mind, what would be the chance of you posting a few pictures of it, I'd be interested in where you've routed the cable as well. I have a rough idea of where I'll put it, but like a lot of things that I've noticed on this forum, people come up with very ingenious ways of doing things. Thanks again for taking the time to let me know. I'd best go and order one now. Just out of interest how many walnuts did you order ?
 :thumb: :thumb: :ty: :ty:
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 15:53:56 »
A few photos of the bracket/screen. I didn't 'route' the cable anywhere, it just falls down to the right of the display and cable tied to the fairing bracket lower down. (as seen in photo).
That has been like that for seven years after a fit to see how it looks. Don't even notice it now!!  :whistle:
I know some folk have routed the cable down through the 'drain' hole shown by red arrow, but I think you would need to open it up a little to accommodate the cable. There should be two spare well nut holes on the fairing which I believe people have also used to put the cable through.
I have the bracket on the upper fasteners and found I needed to fit the spaces shown in yellow so that it clears the fairing. The bracket has four bolt holes for well nuts. I bought a pack of a dozen (e-bay) some years back and have used a few of them now as they can split or fall out and disappear when you take the screen/bracket off.

PS ignore the other ball mount low down, I fitted that for a camera but didn't like the video looking through the screen.
Mick

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 18:47:50 »
I routed my satnag cable through the drain hole Mick indicated with the red arrow.....I just enlarged it a little with a Rat-tail file. (My Zumo cable looks to be a good bit thinner than Mick's).

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 19:24:29 »
Once again, a big, " Thank You", Mick, for the pictures and detailed information, and to you too Hotbulb.
It looks good, and I'll order one on Monday, I've just read my original post about the Walnuts  :shock: Must have had a bar of chocolate on the brain when I wrote that. Also as they come with the kit, it was a daft question. ( Note to self, read the advertainment before asking a dump question ) I'm going to try and route the cable where the red arrow is shown, I didn't even see that it has a drain hole till now  :dl_smiley_banghead: I may install it over the winter when I'll have more time on my hands than of late. Could be going to Cornwall Monday, not 100% sure as of yet. Anyway thanks again for the help and advice. :thumb: :thumb:
I think I'll do what you did too, and buy some extra well nuts off of e bay, just in case.
Do you know what size well nuts I would need ?. This is all new to me so sorry for the dumb questions.
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 20:10:32 »
Well it came this afternoon, and as you can see I fitted it. It is different from your pictures, but nothing is under stress, and the screen moves freely up and down without any resistance. So I can only assume everything will be fine.
Nice bit of kit, that's for sure. Thanks again for you help and advice in making sure I bought the correct part. Just got to move the Sat Nav mount now. :ty:

DO YOU CARE ??

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 20:44:24 »
The reason I fitted the spacers was because the Sat Nav mount was too close to the fairing for my liking (a couple of mm) but it seems as though you might have more clearance than that.
Mick

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 20:55:53 »
I must admit I was concerned why I didn't have any spacers fitted as per your pictures.
My ball mount ( sounds rude that ) is about 35mm from the back of the screen.
Hopefully the pictures will show this. Again thanks for your help.

DO YOU CARE ??

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 21:15:44 »
It wasn't the ball mount that was the problem, I changed that to get my Sat Nav higher, it was the distance from bracket to screen, as marked, that I wasn't keen on. It wasn't touching but just too close for comfort for me.
Thinking about it it may depend on which mounting points it is fitted??? 

Edit...it does look as though we have both got it fixed to the top mounts.  :shrug:
Mick

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 21:33:03 »
Oh Yes, I see now.
I've just put some spacers in now to reflect what you've done to yours.
There is now a clear gap between the bracket and the consul.
Cheers again. :thumb: :thumb:

Yes I fitted on the top mounts too, I don't think there was enough room if it had been fitted lower for the ball mount to accommodate the Garmin mount, also I thought you've had yours fitted there with no problem, so why not copy you. Cowards way out I know  lol
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 21:53:04 »
You can always change it back if to suits your preference.
I think I did say I get a little bit of vibration on the Sat Nav but it's not that much that it bothers me.  :thumb:
Mick

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 22:14:16 »
When I get round to moving the Sat Nav mount, I'll let you know how mine reacts.
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline Lincsman

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 15:13:48 »
Well the mounting brackets on after a wiring my new toy in, and I'm well happy with it too, both the bracket, and the Garmin, thanks again Barbel Mick and Hotbulb for your help and suggestions, both of which I went with  :thumb: :thumb:
DO YOU CARE ??

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 21:50:15 »
Blimey ..  :shock:

That Garmin could act as a screen extension ..  :stirpot:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 22:23:56 »
It can't be possible to ride with that television in front! :shock:
So how's it going so far then?