Author Topic: Stator?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Stator?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 09:04:33 »
As most know, the starter button disconnects the headlights when the starter button is pressed.
If you suspect that the battery voltage may be slightly low, try the following method of starting the bike:
1) Bike in neutral
2) Press the start button with your right hand.
3) Turn the ignition key on with your left hand.
4) Pull in the clutch lever with your left hand. The bike should start.
5) Release both the clutch lever and the starter button once the bike starts.
This method of starting will help prevent the headlights from unnecessary drawing  power from the battery before it has had a chance to start the bike.
Once the stater button is released, the headlights will back come on, but by then the battery should hopefully be receiving a charge.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 09:19:41 »
That's a great tip Gert, I wouldn't have thought of that but could save you if your battery is on the fritz when away from home.
* I go everywhere with a jump pack under the seat now after more than my share of bumps over the years.

Offline Valzdl650

• DL650 Paderborn germany
  • Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2024, 09:23:20 »
So for quiet awhile now I have had my clutch switch out of its housing and switched to permanently on position , so I never need to pull my clutch , I just press the starter switch , do you think this could be part of the problem

Online Rixington43

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2024, 09:25:46 »
It shouldn't lead to any permanent drain on the battery, it will make the starter motor work very slightly harder as you're turning over the gearbox shafts as well as the engine when starting the bike. Unlikely to be the cause of your issues though I would say, I know many others who've done the same thing on Jap bikes.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2024, 13:27:42 »
I had a BMW 650cc single. After being left for a while unused (holiday) it wouldn't start, flat battery. A jump pack I have wouldn't start it so the AA were called. Massive jump pack started it first time so, I left the engine running and road to a battery shop a few miles away. I left the bike running outside (something I have never done before or since) while I went in and bought a battery. Rode home, turned the engine off, I tried to start it again but nothing. New battery and problem gone. Yes you can ride with a flat battery but don't turn it off or let it stall until at your final destination.  :thumb:

Personally, I didn't think it possible.  :roll:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2024, 13:39:05 »
Thanks mate, I’m heading up in a bit just a quick question can I use 10w 40 oil that is for a car in a bike?

Online Rixington43

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2024, 13:55:50 »
Oil questions are a slippery slope (pun intended) but I would say no.
Car oils have friction modifiers which can play hell with a wet clutch.

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2024, 14:04:04 »
Yh I'm going to go return and get the right one !! I have a litre of one brand and 2 litre of a bother but bother motorbike 1040 can I mix the two?

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2024, 16:18:32 »
Hello minky how do I do the earth to chassis I think mine need to do what you said

its not clear  if you have checked the battery    with a volt meter     ..if you have  and its holding   in the 12s  switched off     and 13.5 to 14.2    on tickover  ..you have a charge   
if that the case   ?

simple test       just  use  a bit of  random  wire  ..go from the negative pole on the battery   and  connect it /jam it  literally  against the starter motor chassis  ...press button   

it gave symptoms of a weak battery  or weak starter motor     even though the battery was fine   
     do of course check the battery health  1st   ..it may be somthing  else but if the battery is    holding  above  12.2  it should start no bother 
     seems that the  grounding to the chassis had detirioted   and intalling a  new earth solved it in my case    I thought the starter was donald ducked  and when I bench tested it   it shot itself to the moon   ...new earth solved it     
What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Online Rixington43

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2024, 16:45:24 »
The main engine ground deteriorating was a suspicion for the starting issue I was having as well, mine turned out to be a combination of a cooked battery and a thoroughly fried starter solenoid, one possibly leading to the other. Was worth checking though anyway.
It looks like the main engine ground on the 650 is somewhere on the back of the block from the clutch side, the routing is shown in the K4 service manual but it's not super clear, likely to be easily traceable from the battery though. I would recommend removing the main ground wire, thoroughly cleaning with a wire brush and re-installing with a dab of di-electric or corrosion preventing grease. An electrical ground secured with a steel bolt into aluminium will always fur up over time and increase in resistance. A damn good clean up might prevent the need to add an earth.

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2024, 19:12:04 »
I’m k perfect thanks everyone!! Battery was 12.6 , put in bike started and got it to around 3000 and was reading between 13-14 so luckily it seems that was just the bad battery and seems to be that everything is now sorted ! I will check readings for the next few days and see if it dips , but thanks for all the knowledge shared !!

Online vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2024, 20:40:16 »
Glad you got it sorted, see reply number 1 :lala:
Always check the simple things first. I learned that the hard way!

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2024, 21:35:26 »
Yh lol but I just thought maybe something is draining it ! But luckily the readings are all where they should be so least I got like coy but learned a lot threw the chat never the less