Author Topic: Normal Exhaust Clamp Problem (Rust!)  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Himself

• Adventure before ... errr...
  • Bike: DL1000A L6
Normal Exhaust Clamp Problem (Rust!)
« on: September 08, 2019, 13:08:08 »
I went to change the rear pads yesterday and discovered the exhaust clamp on my 2016 DL1000 had rusted through.

Ploughing through the forum, eBay & Amazon I can't find a replacement clamp listed. All of the ones on eBay stop at 2012

Does any kind soul have a recommendation (other than getting better at searching :roll:) or know the diameter size of the clamp required?

As for getting the end can off after 3 and a bit years ... I sense a lot of rude words will be coming from the garage later this afternoon

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Normal Exhaust Clamp Problem (Rust!)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 16:08:27 »
Please don't disturb anything yet.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Race-Exhaust-Clamp-37-40mm-Stainless-Steel-W2-Clip-Bracket-Banjo-Strap

Measure your pipe and look for the correct size, the one shown will probably fit. You can undo the new clamp and fit it onto the exhaust without having to disassemble. :thumb:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Himself

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 18:15:02 »
Thanks, TLPower. That saved me a few quid at the dealer  :happydance:

The end can was coming off anyway to get to the rear caliper for a pad change. Finally persuaded it to detach without too many anglo-saxon words :-)

Measuring the old clamp it looks like 6cms, but it is slightly deformed where I removed it.

Measuring the tabs on the end can - a few of these I had to loosen, it measures between 62mm and 65mm. With the clamps costing 3.50 each, I ordered the one that looks right and the next size up.

Thanks again

Offline Himself

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 12:48:11 »
For anyone reading this thread in the future ... It is the 63-68mm clamp that was the right size for me.

The 59-63mm is just too small when the gasket is new

Offline snagzie

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 11:13:38 »
I did this the other day as I rounded the fixed bolt on the clamp

I found the best way to get the right size was measure the circumference with a piece of string, then measure the string to get the right size clamp. Worked first time for me :)