Author Topic: Top box compatible with Suzuki spare barrel  (Read 787 times)

Offline jimi28smith

• Bike: DL1000 L8
Top box compatible with Suzuki spare barrel
« on: July 21, 2021, 22:09:37 »
Hi all, I've got the Suzuki side cases which open with the ignition key. I've got a top box which is a Givi box so uses a different key. I have the third key barrel for the Suzuki top box to work with the ignition key. Does anyone know if this will work with a third party box such as Givi or Shad?

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Top box compatible with Suzuki spare barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 22:49:09 »
Nope won't work. That's the way Suzuki wanted it.

Worked in a dealers,
Compared quite a few.

Ride Coordinator

Offline jimi28smith

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 07:02:25 »
That’s a pain, will it at least work with Suzuki branded boxes that aren’t part of the V Strom 3 piece kit? I like the boxes that are designed for it but want something a bit bigger.

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 22:44:21 »
Again no.

The larger 55ltr Suzuki box is in fact a givi box.

The metal ones iirc are sm motech.

So neither with take it.

Suzuki want it this way.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 07:02:56 »
I had this issue this week about what to get; I bought the Givi 52litre was debating getting the smaller size but think the larger size sits OK.....the extra key is not that much of an issue for the ad hoc touring and the box matches the OE panniers quite nicely. Fitting the mounting plate was 'fun' :smirk:

Offline Markymark11

• Bike: Silver 650
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 08:07:33 »
I can't add to the discussion except to say that I deliberately keep the pannier keys separate to the ignition key. I have Givi luggage and you can buy a 3 lock set for Givi panniers but I would never change over to the ignition key. The Kawasaki Versys 1000, amongst others, has a one key fits all system and imagine how annoyed you would be if the ignition key broke off in the lock of the panniers while away on a trip ? - don't ask me how I know.  :)

Offline jimi28smith

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 08:45:47 »
Yes I was looking at getting either the Givi TRK52N TREKKER or the V56NT MAXIA 4 as I think they would both fit nicely with the Panniers.

Markymark11 it the exact opposite reason that made me want the ignition luggage. I have the first gen Versys 1000 with the factory Givi luggage. Had an ignition key, set of keys for the panniers, and a set for the top box. The keys kept snapping as I had to key guessing which was the right one out of the two set for the luggage. They were near enough impossible to get cheap replacements. But it not exactly a challenge to have two keys.

The Kawasaki luggage were rebranded Givi V35s and the locks were rubbish and keep siezing. Are the locks any better on the newer Givi boxes?

Offline Markymark11

• Bike: Silver 650
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 08:39:06 »
Certainly the locks on the Trekkers, Outbacks, V47 and Dolomiti's, have good locks and keys and I personally have never had any problems with them. The only thing I do notice on the Vstrom is that it drags crap into the top case lock from the back wheel.

The Trekker Outback and Dolomiti have a rubber cap that covers them and works well. I also have a V47 which is a great top box and never an issue with the lock on that - which is the same as the Maxia I believe. Generally I think all the new generation of Givi locks are much better than the old Red ones. Like you I am perfectly happy with 2 keys - one for the ignition and one for the panniers.  :lala:

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 10:48:07 »
I do like my givi/kappa boxes.

2x V47 (one for each bike, mine is an NT)
1x pair of E36 as panniers
1x pair of K21 top loading panniers (same as E21)
1x pair of K690 panniers (44ltr)

The panniers are interchangrable on the two bikes and we swap and change depending on what we need to carry on a trip.

The locks on the newer V47 are far better than the older ones.
I've snapped a key before now on the old style. - but use the plain metal spare key in the new style as the plastic ones always stick out from the key ring and stab me.
I've changed the 2 larger sized panniers sets to the same key as they are the two we usually use and I don't have to have a top box key and 3 pannier keys.
Pity they wouldn't supply a kit of 6 locks only 1, 2, 3 or 5.

Ride Coordinator