Author Topic: Another tedious picture of my VX  (Read 975 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Another tedious picture of my VX
« on: May 31, 2021, 20:28:01 »
All day yesterday refitting the refurbished carbs and new plugs leads and caps. Balancing the carbs was tricky until I discovered I had not fitted a spring where a spring should be. A  slight misfire was cured when I realised one plug cap was not pushed fully onto the plug. This morning I took it on a 60 mile run up to Norfolk to see a friend only to have it stuttering  like a stuttering thing until I switched it from main to reserve. Then all was well until I went to a garage and topped up with Shell unleaded which at £1.32 per litre is approaching the cost of angel's tears. And then it started stuttering again as I had forgotten to turn the fuel tap to on. Something that does not have be faffed with on a modern bike. Owner stupidity aside the bike runs fautlessly although I don't rag it and tried to keep it at 58mph . One thing I did notice is just how good the front suspension it. It floats over the bumps and ridges that  on other bikes are spine, neck and teeth rattlers.  Oh! and another user error was when I fitted the Sat Nav and powered it with a relay wired to the rear light as a trigger. Yeah !....  it doesn't power up until I switch the lights on Doh!.  All that aside it is such a lovely bike to ride on a sunny Bank Holiday Monday.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: Another tedious picture of my VX
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 00:23:54 »
The joys of fuel taps: been caught out more than once with them on my bikes as well - worst was going for an overtake on the SP3 to find her suddenly deprived of fuel. Luckily it was a dual carriageway and I was able to sort it out without major issues.
Now I have a clear Dymo label strategically placed on all the older bikes to remind me to do the things that aren't normal nowadays, like fuel taps.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!