Author Topic: AGV Sportmodular Helmet.  (Read 1940 times)

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
AGV Sportmodular Helmet.
« on: July 06, 2020, 17:19:01 »
Today was my first ride using my new lid. It replaced a Shark Carbon R and before that an Arai Chaser.

I took the liner out as soon as I bought it to install my Cardo system and also to turn the headliner as it has a c.o.o.l. side and a warm side, it arrived on the warm side. My initial impression is that the quality is significantly higher that the Arai and slightly better than the rather excellent Shark. The lining can be removed easy enough but the trim pieces that cover the speakers are a real pain to refit.

I'd read a couple of reviews mentioning the visor release mechanism, this is unlocked by a push button above the lower vent that locks onto a catch on the visor. It is a poor design, the visor stays shut on the visor's own mechanism so I  removed the catch from the visor. It is secured on by a single phillips screw, so very easy to remove.
Ventilation is excellent and quiet through the top vent, the chin vent does a good job of keeping the inside of the visor clear. I have a fairly high screen so not much airflow through the lower vent, I stood up into the airflow and it blasts air through.

Windnoise is appreciably reduced in comparison with the Shark which is a conventional full-face which surprised me, stability in today's horrible winds was  also improved.

The only other thing of any note is the ridiculous hidden lever for the drop down visor, it's located on the the bottom edge just behind the chin bar. It works beautifully....when you can find it as it is nearly flush fitting. I'll either become used to it or I'll make a small extension piece.

In conclusion, it has a good SHARP rating (4stars), it is very light, it is quiet, it has an excellent field of vision and it's very comfortable for me. The downsides for me are the stupid visor lock (sorted) and the hard to find drop down sunshade lever.

Once again excellent service and an decent price from Sportsbikeshop. Value for money is a hard thing to quantify but at £399 for a full carbon fibre modular helmet with a 4 star SHARP rating I'm happy enough.   

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: AGV Sportmodular Helmet.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 17:24:41 »
 :text-worthless: I know I've seen it but share it and be recognised.  lol
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 17:30:32 »
Sounds like a good helmet TLP and good to hear it takes Cardo speakers - are they the larger JML(?) speakers?
It was top of my list when I went shopping just before lockdown, though I had intended on trying a few helmets on the bike using sportbikeshop's testing scheme although they never had the AGV as part of it... it's unlikely I'll be sticking my head in any demo helmets any time soon, so I may just have to have a punt on it (if I ever get the bike back together). The other one I'd looked at was the Neotec 2 (to replace my ancient Neotec) but it significantly more expensive.

If you do make an extender for the visor, post plenty of pics. I'd imagine it'll be harder to find with winter gloves on.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 18:54:43 »
Sportsbikeshop in Boston let me try 3 different AGV's. Hand sanitiser is available on the way in and they have plenty of disposable balaclavas for trying helmets on. You can reserve on line, they pull them out of stock and Robert is your Uncle. I only have the poverty spec Cardo speakers so I couldn't be certain the JBL ones would fit.

The Neotec 2 has the same Sharp star rating (4) but only has a 70% latch burst resistance compared the the AGV's 97%.  https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/AGV-sport-modular/

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 19:19:40 »
Good to know. I'll have to pop in when I finish the epic slow shim change/general maintenance.
My Neotec is at least 8 years old so well past it's best :shy: I only have a cheapo BT intercom but will probably replace it with a fancy Cardo one eventually.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 19:28:46 »
Just for Brockett, new lid on one of the horses and the hidden drop down sun-shield lever.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 10:22:37 »
Unfortunately the AGV is no more. I returned it to Sportsbike Shop (SBS) a couple of weeks ago as the chin-strap had started to fray quite badly at only 5 weeks old. I had only worn the helmet half a dozen times as well. The titanium "D" rings seemed to be the culprit, the edges whilst not razor sharp were not smooth either.

SBS initially said AGV would either repair (change the strap and rings) or replace the helmet with a new one. I received an email yesterday informing me that I now have a credit note for the entire cost, I am reluctant to purchase another Sportmodular due to this issue and the only colour they have left is rather drab.

Consequently a Neotec 2 is reserved for "trying on".

SBS were a little "lethargic" with communications initially, emails and phone calls not answered until I raised the issue on their facebook page. Since then they have been excellent.

A couple of pictures of the offending article.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 10:52:24 »
Oh! dear what a shame. It should not have frayed like that. The angular profile of the "D" rings may also be at fault but my bet is someone saved a few pennies on the webbing. That is typical of "cheap helmet wear" although even the cheap ones don't wear that quickly. I believe you are entitled to a full cash refund. You would not expect that wear on any clothing let alone a SAFETY helmet (FFS). They may have a 365 returns policy but that does not override consumer law.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 11:32:28 »
I'm not sure what the consumer rights are here following my issues with my jacket when I bought it. I think if the fault develops within 30 days of being purchased then you are entitled to a full refund or new item. Beyond 30 days but within 6 months you have to let the shop/manufacturer repair (or replace). SBS could in theory just provide a new like-for-like replacement, but the credit note means they're letting you choose to buy a different helmet if you wish.
Let me know what you think of the Neotec 2. They also have some 1s on discount too which was a good helmet.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 12:20:51 »
The "after 30 days but before 6 months" was my initial thought. It wasn't faulty when I bought it, SBS and I wouldn't have known a fault was going to occur. My internet searches haven't shown any other Sport Modular with a similar issue.

I'm happy enough with the outcome at the moment. :)

Walter Rohrl.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 16:39:32 »
Are you baht 'at then, or did you keep the Belisha Beacon?

Offline TLPower

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 20:24:33 »
I kept t' beacon.

Luckily.

And t' Arai before t' beacon, and t' Roof from before t' Arai.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 22:09:09 »
A Yorkshire filter needs to be added.     :dl_hyperhysteria:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 16:32:02 »
tbf to SBS I returned a HJC modular helmet to them, they rang me within a few days to say they had recieved it and was going to send it back for a repair before sending it back to me. told them I didn't want it back as I had lost all confidence in it (the chin vent cover had fallen off) and they said they understood and gave me a credit note for the full amount  :thumb: