Author Topic: I'm being in-decisive- tyre choice  (Read 2265 times)

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
I'm being in-decisive- tyre choice
« on: March 27, 2016, 09:49:25 »
Long story short, I've been waiting for some new tyres to be available for some time, but production has been pushed back again to end of April- they were supposed to be ready for Feb.
I thought I could last until the new type arrived, but alas I went out with the local trail riding lot on a road ride to Aberystwyth and finished off both the front K60 and rear E-07  :bawl:

Don't want to sit in the house and wait a month or more (if they ever come into stock) so do I go for the cheap Mitas E-07 I've been quite happy with- They last OK, give good grip, but I can't keep up with the Mrs on the GSX unless I want to shred the rear.
£105 delivered - then when the new ones come in, just bin the part worn Mitas
Or
Get a new pair of Anakee 2's -loved them on the Wee, will get better mileage, better handling and be able to keep up the the Mrs. Then shove the new 'Special' tyres in the shed until the Anakee 2's are done (say 6 months)
£140 from M&P's (only up the road to pick up and can be fitted Easter Monday)

The local ProTyre place will fit the pair for £20 ride in/ride out what ever I do.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: I'm being in-decisive- tyre choice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 07:56:45 »
Looks like you have answered yourself. The question is, are you still able to get the Anakee 2 in stock? No Anakee 2s available in this neck of the woods, so I went for the Anakee 3. Not the same performance for off-road, but then it is a 90/10 tyre.

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:03:56 »
I made the decision.
Anakee 2 from M&P's. Rang them and they had one pair in stock.
They are currently still strapped to my bike and shortly I'll be heading out to the local tyre place to get them fitted.

I think the very last of the Anakee 2's are going to be gone by the time I need to replace the rear. I'm hoping something else will be out by then. I won't be using Anakee 3's as they are in reality a road tyre and you can get PR3/4 for less money.

Ride Coordinator

Offline frez

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:22 »
Maybe Anakee Wild when there are no more 2's, if someone has tested them by then?

Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:03:08 »
If I still had the V-Strom that was worth 50p I'd stick some Anakee Wild on and have fun on the trails.
But I don't, so I want something a bit more road orientated 80/20 to 50/50. Anakee 2 are 80/20 - 3's are 95/5 and you may as well stick road tyres on and be done with it.

Roads around here and West Wales are pants during the winter months and road tyres are fine for the main roads, but the smaller lanes get very mucky.

Anakee 2's or original Tourances are the minimum I'd fit for my winter riding. I could have 100% road tyres in the summer, which was the original plan as I was going to have a pair of new to the market touring tyres.

Just like any new touring tyre where the plan is to make a 110/80-19 front for adventure bikes, the front size for our bikes gets left on the back burner until the stocks for touring bike sizes are full. I'm still waiting for them, but to be honest how long were people waiting for trail versions of the PR3 & 4?
I'll have to see if the local tyre place will swap for the road tyres then back again onto the part worn before winter kicks in.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 20:10:34 »

Anlas Capra all the way- No1 in Turkey!   (They also do winter M & S tyres)

http://www.anlas.com.tr/urun.asp?konu=urunler&anakategori=1&marka=1&kategori=110&sayfa=

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 20:08:57 »
TKC70's  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'