Author Topic: Screen for a tall rider.  (Read 8616 times)

Offline Alekc

• Bike: V-Strom 650 2015
Screen for a tall rider.
« on: December 03, 2015, 15:58:29 »
Hi all,

recently I've bought 2015 V-Strom 650, and I was looking for a decent screen which would protect me from wind (at least up to 40mph).

I am 195cm (6.4 foot), so as you can imagine original Suzuki screen (even in top position) is not doing much.

I'd like to hear from people of similar height which screens are they using, and what's their experience.

Thanks.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Screen for a tall rider.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 16:16:25 »
Alekc - I am 6'7 and have given up on screens. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you wanted to know my experiences. I've had several, on madstad, on normal screen mount, fixed high, fixed low and I now have a really tall Givi screen. I'm naturally a "sit up" style rider anyway, so I am right up in the airflow and I still get buffeted.

You may not find a solution but you can minimise the problem.

Sorry!

Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Alekc

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 17:33:55 »
It's OK, that's why I opened this topic willing to know direct experience from tall blokes :P

By givi do you mean GIVI AF3101 like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIVI-AF3101-Airflow-Adjustable-Windscreen -Suzuki-V-Strom-DL-650-2012-2015-/252057408968?hash=item3aafcad5c8:g:ARUAAOSwjVVVislV?

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 17:52:29 »
Here is a previous thread started by another tall rider ..... http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=26307.0

Here's a picture of mine. It's a Givi Screen, but I don't know what type.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
  • Bike: Honda VFR800
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 23:42:18 »
I'm 196cm and ride the same model of bike  :smirk:. Like you, I didn't feel that the standard screen was doing a great job in any of the three available positions - at least, not past 60mph.

I've totally sorted the issue now, but as I discovered, the screen is only half of the problem  :GRR:. Long story made extremely short; the Givi Airflow screen (AF3101  :icon_wink:) set in mid position (that's important, as this allows it to create the maximum air compression between it two layers), does a superb job of pushing air right over the top of my (crash  :icon_wink:) helmet and leaves me riding in what feels like a 'vacuum' (compared to the wind tunnel that I used to be subjected to).

However, there was still a lot of 'rough' air coming at the sides of my head, after making this upgrade. It was coming from the stock (barn door) mirrors. Now, I love those big old mirrors (from the point of view of safety) and swore that I would never change them, but when I did eventually try a pair of (fake) Aprillia Tuono mirrors on there, the remaining 'buffeting' winds went away and I was left with a ride that was as smooth as anyone could reasonably expect on a motorbike  :shrug:. Also, after a few minutes on the road, I soon realised that the smaller mirrors gave me almost as good a view of what was happening behind me and I didn't really need to see all the way from the Tarmac by my rear wheel to the stratosphere  :grin: (as with the standard 'all inclusive' mirrors).

So, I can predict with a fair amount of confidence that you would gain a great improvement from fitting the following two components (although there are bound to be other options, too) ...

http://www.givi.co.uk/screens-and-spoilers/AIRFLOW/Airflow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Rear-View-Mirror-10mm-For-BMW-F650GS-F800GS-F800R/131629594039?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dbee6e4b76a454ffe8ebb959f4fefbaa0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D201177981491

I also have mirror extenders on my bike, although I don't know how much difference they make to the turbulence issue   :shrug: .

Good luck with sorting it out  :thumb: !

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 05:07:40 »
Anyone researched the California Scientific Motorcycle Windscreen ? Perhaps you may want to Google calsci Windscreen  for more info. I was reading some positive comments on the web pages (BMW / Yamaha / Adventure Rider), that were listed when I Googled calsci Windscreen .

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 08:26:12 »
I'm about 6'1''and fing the Givi Airflow gives good results, not quite perfect as I get a slight thrumming type of turbulence which goes away if I crouch forward slightly!
I have not tried messing with the mirrors yet.
That's on a glee, advice from those with older shape may not be comparable.

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
  • Bike: Honda VFR800
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 15:38:54 »
I'm about 6'1''and fing the Givi Airflow gives good results, not quite perfect as I get a slight thrumming type of turbulence which goes away if I crouch forward slightly!
I have not tried messing with the mirrors yet.
That's on a glee, advice from those with older shape may not be comparable.

You could try taking the (less vital) nearside mirror off and just going for a quick blast to see if you can sense the difference between the left and right side of your helmet  :shrug:.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 17:43:14 »
You could try taking the (less vital) nearside mirror off and just going for a quick blast to see if you can sense the difference between the left and right side of your helmet  :shrug:.
Cheers, will have a tinker one day. Now I have the Transalp back home, I'll see if those mirrors will go on for a try, lots of oval/rectangular shaped mirrors on ebay for under a tenner/pair.
It does seem to tunnel & create turbulence to the air as it leaves the screen then hits the one-aerodynamic square mirrors.

Phil

Offline Bravo33

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:22 »
I'm 6'1" and experimented with a few different screens. I've ended up with the MRA X-CREEN and love it. Fraction of the cost I spent on others.  I've also fitted swmotech mirror extensions which has also helped with the wind deflection from the mirrors.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 12:28:07 »
Anyone researched the California Scientific Motorcycle Windscreen ?

Yes, not for a V-Strom but the same principle. I ordered a much taller screen for my Supertenere from the UK importer of Calcsi Screens which are very high quality bits of kit. When fitted, even on an adjustable Touratech mount I just couldn't get the screen set right to reduce the buffeting. I then installed an MRA esque spoiler ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Spoiler-31cm-for-Touring-Screen-Grey-Adjustable-Positions-with-Hinge-/181924269398?hash=item2a5b880d56:g:f9QAAOxyOMdS6N1O )to the screen and it's now spot on, virtually no buffeting or noise. Very happy  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Alekc

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 21:45:16 »
Couple of months later I am giving some feedback.

After reading around I decide to buy givi af3101 airflow Windscreen  (from an ebay vendor in italy) and I must say it's something pretty close to the miracle. Now I am able to ride with my visor open up to 40-50 mph, and almost no buffeting sound at all. Makes you wonder why Suzuki won't make a partnership with givi for mounting their windshields as default :))

Here what it looks like: