Author Topic: Screens with wipers  (Read 8890 times)

Offline LaKraven

Screens with wipers
« on: October 19, 2012, 20:42:24 »
I'm looking to soon be offering screens with wipers for the VStrom.

Yes, you read that correctly... screens with wipers! As in proper self-parking motorised wipers (one actual wiper per screen, for obvious reasons) like you'd find on a car!

I'm just interested to see before I place a very large order for parts what sort of interest there is in this. The screens themselves will be from Slipscreen, and I'll only be producing wipers for certain screen sizes (widths and heights) because otherwise it's too many variations to consider, but I'll be doing all the screen colours (clear, light and dark grey etc) that Slipscreen offer. I'll also provide all the wiring needed to hook them up, and the handlebar-mount switch (also considering doing a foot switch too)

So... please let me know if you're interested in this idea. Obviously if there's no interest, I'll just do one for myself and call it a day. If there's enough interest, I'll produce to order (but buy a bulk stock of the parts).
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline Stromivarius

Re: Screens with wipers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 20:46:21 »
Is it April 1st already?

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 20:56:33 »
Quote from: "Stromivarius"
Is it April 1st already?

I'm not joking! I've sourced all the parts, spec'd it up... even got the motor hooked up. Just waiting on the wiper arm and blade to arrive (next Tuesday I reckon) and I'll have a fully-operational death sta.... umm... I mean windscreen wiper  :lala:
Black DL650AK9 GT, 09 reg: 1" lower front and rear, USB charging and lighter sockets, Madstad bracket, Slipscreen and large Givi screens (for purpose), Aux Light Bar, fog lights (switched), custom ignition-switched wiring loom

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 21:06:03 »
Silly

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 21:06:52 »
Seen one on a Goldwing a few yrs ago .

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 21:07:39 »
be better working on a visor wiper   :grin:

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 21:09:51 »
Quote from: "Fatbelly"
Silly

Why is it silly? Rain is a serious pain in the arse for those of us with large touring screens. I went out a few weeks ago, it was raining a little (not even that heavy) and within a few minutes I had to pull over and lower my screen because I just couldn't see through it anymore.
Personally I'd think people would jump at the chance to improve their visibility while riding!

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 21:11:36 »
Quote from: "Reksut"
be better working on a visor wiper   :grin:

There's no way I'd get something like that approved for road use, and as a technical exercise it's a nightmare (I tried designing a visor wiper years ago and decided it's just not practical).
Besides, with a large touring windscreen very little rain actually hits the visor in the first place, making a screen wiper more realistic and worthwhile!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 21:18:05 »
Wind screens work better when adjusted so they are looked over, not through. If just below eye level, they will still direct the wind stream over the helmet. Helmet screens are so close to the eyes the rain drops are out of focus and of less consequence as a result. I have ridden in rain where cars were pulled off the road but I was still able to see just fine. Wind screens that are looked though may benefit from wipers, but I wouldn't want one I had to look through. What about the wear of wiper on plastic? I can easily imagine wipers ruining screens.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 21:19:34 »
note to self ,,,, make sure people know when you are joking !!!

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 21:23:09 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
Wind screens work better when adjusted so they are looked over, not through. If just below eye level, they will still direct the wind stream over the helmet. Helmet screens are so close to the eyes the rain drops are out of focus and of less consequence as a result. I have ridden in rain where cars were pulled off the road but I was still able to see just fine. Wind screens that are looked though may benefit from wipers, but I wouldn't want one I had to look through. What about the wear of wiper on plastic? I can easily imagine wipers ruining screens.

The wiper blades I have coming are designed especially to be used on plastic screens without scratching them (but still removing rain and dirt effectively).

As for the height of screens... it's a matter of preference, and yes the wiper most likely wouldn't be of benefit to those who prefer low (look-over) screens.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 21:44:35 »
lol

My bikes got a 360 degree sunroof and a washing machine installed in the Givi box.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 21:51:55 »
So.... absolutely zero interest in this then?

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 21:59:46 »
I'm interested to see it fitted on your bike , not interested to buy one as I never have a problem in the rain .
The dirt being wiped across the screen will scratch it , unlike glass on a car .

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 22:09:10 »
I have interest in seeing what your bike will look like in another few years... with your inventive spirit I fully expect you to have an espresso maker, inflatable raft and Back To The Future style 'flux capacitor' fitted :)

But, no, sorry... I like looking over the screen rather than through it too.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Screens with wipers
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 22:34:42 »
Great thread.. Not sure there's a market for it but top marks for effort.. I'll watch with interest your next offerings, there might be something I can use..

Offline longman

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 23:50:25 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
I like looking over the screen rather than through it too.

+1.
Longman

For some heaven is only 10 feet up.
Suzuki DL650 K5
Suzuki DR-Z400SM K7

Offline LaKraven

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 00:36:20 »
Okiedokie then... I'll just finish my own screen and call it a day. Glad I decided to test the waters on here before I committed to buying a bulk supply of parts I won't be able to use.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 14:35:35 »
Motorcycle windscreens are not designed for looking through, the materials and shapes would cause distortion and the move in the wind. I guess for some smaller riders that's a problem but I would expect the best solution would be to shorten or remove the screen. The BMW C1 had a windscreen wiper, but then it also had a roof.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 19:23:10 »
I don't think I would be interested in such an arrangement, don't think it would work very well and don't think they would sell.

But if LaKraven has the (considerable) skills to manufacture such an item and he's interested, what's the one thing everyone wishes they could buy for their Vee/Wee for a reasonable price (apart from a Madstad of course)?