Author Topic: Ticking noise when ignition switched on  (Read 669 times)

Offline AlanK

• Bike: Vstrom 650 2011 (pre change model
Ticking noise when ignition switched on
« on: July 15, 2020, 14:09:48 »
I would appreciate advice as to likely cause of this noise. Yesterday I took the tank and air box off to clean a corroded terminal which had stopped my headlights working. I also took the opportunity to change the spark plugs. Bike started first time and runs smoothly but there is now a ticking noise like an electric fuel pump sound when the ignition is switched on. The sound appears to be coming from the rectifier area but am having difficulty tracing the exact source. I was careful refitting the tank ensuring no kinked pipework etc. Opened filler cap in case caused by build up of pressure. All panel lights working correctly, fuel gauge etc. Reluctant to remove tank again unless absolutely necessary. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bike is a Weestrom 650 2010 model NON ABS model with only 15k miles.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Ticking noise when ignition switched on
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 15:55:40 »
Alan, as you know, a ticking noise could be a lot of things, mechanical or electrical: have you tried looking around the area in the darkness? In case it's a spark leaking to earth? Can get ticking sounds from dodgy stepper-motors, too (since you have had the tank off, and changed plugs etc)  :shrug: just some ideas for you

Also, see here https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=22547.0

Though from what you say, the bike is running OK, it could be something much simpler!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 19:17:56 »
Thanks for your pointers. The noise is evident when the ignition is switched on (ie. before pressing the starter button). Have spent another 30 minutes trying to trace where the noise was coming from and it was in the area of the rectifier/ regulator. Fiddling with the groups of wires just to the left of the regulator did at one point stop the noise but when I switched the ignition back on a second time I could not get the noise to stop!
Hopefully will get a chance to do some more investigating work tomorrow.

Alan

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 19:28:07 »
Sounds like the actuator on the throttle bodies is jammed. Maybe something has caught when you replaced all the parts. 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 20:10:45 »
Thanks for all the helpful advice.
Ended up going back to square one today and took the tank etc off. Checked all the wiring and ensure no breather pipes had a kink in them. Undid every connector and cleaned them (most were like new) for what that was worth! Could not identify anything likely to be the source of the problem. Switched the ignition on and there was no ticking noise plus the bike started immediately.
Would have been great if I had found a problem and I could have sorted it but as long as the noise has gone I am happy!

All the best

Alan