Author Topic: Ignition / fuel cut off switch.  (Read 188 times)

Offline bobbymc

• Bike: DL650 K9
Ignition / fuel cut off switch.
« on: April 12, 2024, 14:10:54 »
Whilst stationary and my brain in neutral, I rolled off the bike onto my arse. As the bike hit the ground I could hear the ignition cut out, nevertheless, I got the bike upright and safe with assistance.
The very nice RAC man (Ex bike rider) knew of the cut out switch under the seat, but was at a loss how to reset it.
We managed to start the bike by bridging the solenoid under the seat and it got me home.
Is there a method to reinstating the starting procedure after laying it down ?....bob
I have a 2009 DL650.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Ignition / fuel cut off switch.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 14:17:12 »
I thought they reset by picking the bike up, just turn the ignition all the way off and then all the way on again and the system should recheck all the interlocks.

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 14:52:08 »
I thought it was a simple mercury switch - stand the bike back up and it'll start.

It could be the clutch lever switch - check under the lever that the switch is still connected.
I dropped the V-Strom a few times riding offroad and pulled the clutch switch connector off.
I bypassed the switch after the 2nd or 3rd time in one day, but it's a safety thing so I'd put it back when on the road.

Ride Coordinator

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 17:31:09 »
Doesn't the tip over sensor cut ignition and fuel?
If so, the fact you were able to ride home points to that not being the problem :shrug:

Online porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 17:48:16 »
The two times I dropped mine it was a matter of turning the ignition on and off several times to reset then away it went. I did have a Yamaha fazer that wet the plugs while on its side and I had to wait 15 minutes before it would start.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 07:41:44 »
For those who don't perhaps know, on the 1st gen Wee and Vee, the tipover sensor iis located above the ECU and is rubber mounting that attaches to the seat tray. It is identified by the "UP" imprinted on top of it.
On tipover, the function is to shut off the engine when the bike is tipped over more that a certain designed angle.  if the tipover sensor is the wrong way round or not one the UP position, the fuel pump only activates for 1 - 3 seconds.
The tipover sensor should give a C23 fault reading is malfuctioned and is reset by having the bike vertical and may require switching it on and off a few times.  Key is to give a moment with the ignition off before switching on again. Unsually to reset it, get the bike up-right and turn the ignition off, wait roughly a minute, then on... and the bike should start.
As stated above, the clutch switch connector often comes adrift either as a result from the fall or during the picking up process.

Offline bobbymc

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 09:41:02 »
Mr N Diver.....you are a gem, I checked under the clutch lever and it appears as the bike went over the hand guard snapped at the lower fixing and knocked off the clutch inhibitor switch fing !
One of the spade terminals was bent so straightened it out and Hello presto it fired right up !
I shall e mail the RAC man and tell him of my fix so should he come across that situation again.
Many thanks to you all for your worthy input to a poor distressed biker.......Bob
I have a 2009 DL650.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 16:52:36 »
Hats off to you for emailing the RAC bloke back. Most people would not, and its only through little tid bits like this that some intricacies of these bikes are known!