Author Topic: DL650A L2 clutch adj...advice wanted!  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: DL650A L2 clutch adj...advice wanted!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 22:22:56 »
Sounds like a thorough job.

If the 'fibre' on the plates was too soft it would have been worn beyond tolerance but a necessary change as you say.

Catches on the basket are symptoms of the clutch not disengaging properly, hence drag. It is rare in my experience. 

All new .....brilliant!   :thumb:

Yes, 2021 must get better!
Can't wait to get my hands on a pair of budgie smugglers from OZ.........

Offline WeeStromer

• Bike: DL650 AL2 GLEE, CG125 ES5
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 13:10:39 »
Sorry I can't help with any clutch issues, but I'm enjoying reading about it. Keep the updates coming Crazyhorse. :thumb:

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL2
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 14:09:42 »
Hello C.H.when you get the new plates and discs will you measure them and let me know what the new size is please.Also don’t throw the old ones away!
Ian Mc.

Offline crazyhorse

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 13:07:41 »
Hello
Just an update.

When measuring plates, they showed that they were not worn out according to the manual's specs. about halfway through their life.

All of the plates were replaced, as I was already in there, so it made sense.

The generator cover was removed to access the lower clutch cable attachment point.
The top bearing in this pivot point was very worn, as the elements had got in there past the rubber seal.
It still rotated enough to give clutch action, but I replaced it and the seal as a matter of course.

I was going to replace the lower bearing, but removing a small needle roller bearing from a blind hole is beyond my abilities at this time.
An engineering friend suggested that I drill a small hole in the blind end, and try to push the bearing out.
I thought that as the bearing was still serviceable I would pack the whole tube with grease, and replace the second seal as well.

Both the left and right clutch push rods showed no wear, but I replaced the left hand one as it sits in 'line of fire', from all the debris thrown from the drive chain into that area, and was showing rust and nicks in some spots.
Also whilst there, I slipped an old clutch cable rubber bellows, over the exposed length of this push rod, to mitigate some of this damage from happening.

At this point I did the final adjustment on the clutch side (the very first question that Kwackboy answered for me, and I thank him for that), and adj. it to three quaters of a turn out (manual states a full turn out), and buttoned that side up.

Having renewed the engine oil, and the coolant, the last thing to do was to put the new clutch cable on, and again with a rubber bellows at the exposed lower end of the cable to protect it.

The bike started fine, after the battery was reconnected, and the clutch works fine in the garage, but will only be tested properly, when this lockdown is lifted.

Thank you all for your comments, and if I have missed answering any of your questions, please let me know.

Keep safe.

Crazyhorse

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL2
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 14:30:46 »
   Hello C.H.thanks for the info,I will look at the bearings on my clutch arm to see if they are OK.
Ian Mc.

Offline crazyhorse

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 14:56:10 »
Hello

Final report back about my clutch issues.

Have only done approx. 150 miles since the new clutch and bits were fitted (to and from the supermarkets), but have found that the clutch lever has a lighter pull, and the power take up is beautifully smooth, and I am very pleased.

No oil leaks or coolant leaks, and whilst waiting to obtain a new MOT, I went mad and replaced the front tyre with a Michelin Road 5 Trail, and renewed the EBC front pads.

I am now set up for some spring/summer riding, and looking forward to my second jab in April and getting out on the road when allowed to do so.

Thank you all for your input over the last few months, and maybe see you down the road in the near future.

All the best.
Crazyhorse

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 10:57:34 »
Very informative thread, glad you got your clutch sorted CH.

Offline crazyhorse

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 12:50:58 »
Hello
Another update for you (not really) but I have just returned from six days "swimming" around Scotland, on the bike, and the clutch has been faultless, and have covered 4k miles since the new clutch was fitted.

The bike was not perfect though, as the first fault to appear, was that the headlights (both of them) said enough, after stopping for a coffee.
Later investigation proved there was a short downstream from the fuse (Eastern Beaver cabling installed) so just left the fuse out, to get eventually home OK.

Also, on shutting the throttle induced a surging on the overrun and on pick up she stutters badly, and then is off like a scalded cat. Lots of fun on the routes we had!!!!!

Other than that everything was hunky-dory, and I am now off the find where my lights are shorting.

Loads of fun!!!!

Crazyhorse