Author Topic: Gear lever fell off  (Read 823 times)

Offline MrBear

• Bike: DL1000 L8
Gear lever fell off
« on: May 02, 2021, 18:04:17 »
Hello all,

Imagine my surprise when my gear lever fell off in the overtaking lane of the dual carriageway today. 2018 DL1000A.  It stayed hanging off the bike, and I bodged a fix to get me home.  But I seem to have lost whatever clip/washer held it on to the main shaft, under the heel.  Can anyone help please with what washer and/or clip I should have there?  I've heard of a "circlip" and possibly a washer as well.  At the moment it's held on with gardening wire

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Gear lever fell off
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 18:18:19 »
Wowsers, that will have raised the heart rate a touch.
Here's a link for the parts diagram and part numbers you'll need, there is indeed a washer and a circlip.
You can likely feed these part numbers into Google and find UK sellers that may be cheaper after postage but the diagram should help identify the bits you're currently missing.
Hope it helps.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 19:17:56 »

Offline roganjoshing

• Loving my first Vee Twin
  • Bike: DL650 L0
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 19:27:22 »
Happened to me a couple of years ago too. Bit of a fright at the time but just shoved it back on until I got home.

Offline MrBear

• Bike: DL1000 L8
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 20:01:09 »
Thanks very much for the link, parts are ordered.

Friendly biker stopped to help me, with his partner & kids in his car. Unfortunately he didn't have any tools with him, but spotted me in trouble and "couldn't pass me by without offering to help".  He did find some wire by the side of the road which I used to bodge a fix to get me home.  He said he was a biker but doubt he was a Stromer.  But just goes to show - you're part of a club no matter what, and I hope I'm in a position to return the favour. Shame I'm so sh*t at spannering, otherwise I'd have noticed that the gear lever was about to fall off before I set off! Hello ho.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 20:18:35 »
That happened to me on a Yamaha Diversion and the loose bolt fell off before the lever! I did find it.

It's so easy to forget what you've just played with. In manuals and handbooks it tells you to check all those bolts etc. regularly!  :shy:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 21:08:43 »
"You're part of a club no matter what"
Hmmm, I lost a gear linkage from the cbx in the peaks. All I needed was a spanner to borrow a sacrificial nut from somewhere else on the bike. A full dress GL1500 was in a filling station, the driver was in the kiosk paying. I asked his wife, the pillion, if I could borrow a 10mm spanner for 5 minutes. "Oh, we don't carry any tools", she declared. Hubby came back, asked me what the problem was, and unrolled a very comprehensive kit from a pannier. Looks like wifey wasn't in the same club.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 21:15:11 »
  I find this a better option after a mate found his gear lever hanging off in Austria.On my previous K9 I drilled the side and fitted a grease nipple,I will get around to doing it on this one eventually.
Ian Mc.

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 09:11:56 »
Happened to mine, too, fortunately not far from home, washer and circlip lost. I limped back, trying to hold the pedal onto its shaft with my foot, and fitted approximately correct washer and circlip until I could buy the correct parts. I suspect it's really the consequence of wear on the washer and pedal shaft, and old age of the circlip. In the end, I decided to replace the shaft, washer and circlip with genuine parts. No further problem .... but I do keep an eye on it all, and grease the shaft, regularly now.