Author Topic: Low RPM assist  (Read 4829 times)

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
Re: Low RPM assist
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 11:52:30 »
I’ve taken Porters advice and ordered a Booster Plug, if nothing else it may improve some of the slow speed characteristics of these bikes.
Here’s a bloke I watch on YT he’s owned two V Strom 1000’s and he explains the reasoning behind why he doesn’t own one now, you’ll have to discount his views on tyres because that’s easy to remedy (although I agree the OEM rubber ain’t the best).

If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline STORMY

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 11:51:38 »
Well that arrived quickly

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 12:53:53 »
Does that Booster plug dodab thing fool the ECU into thinking it's still cold and slightly richen the mixture ?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline STORMY

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 13:35:17 »
Brockett - spot on, but if you’re operating a steady throttle I.e. cruising along it doesn’t have any effect (apparently). I bought this to try and even out the slow speed performance - but I’m hoping it will also assist with the slow speed stall which of course only reveals itself once in a blue moon so that might take a bit longer to say it’s been cured. Anyway if it’s a pile of snake oil you get 4 weeks to return it so based on recommendations I’ll give it a whirl..........
It’ll also give me a chance to check the coolant level again (tank off) following a recent refresh - but I think I got all of the air out of the system.
Once fitted I’ll come back and report on it, if anybody’s interested?

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 13:50:38 »
 :eusa-doh: I do enjoy a good faffing yarn.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline STORMY

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 14:15:45 »
Aren’t they just the best  :grin:

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 17:41:44 »
Yes please do report back. I don't think I'll fit one as I'm not wanting to spend anymore money now on my bike but I'd like to know if it works.

Offline STORMY

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2021, 19:20:15 »
All fitted didn’t take long at all - test ride later/tomorrow

Offline Joy Strom

• Bike: DL1000XT
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2021, 07:53:24 »
It might just be the electrical spade connection at the clutch lever. Mine became detached last year making the gear changing erratic. I can’t remember if it affected the rev lift. If it’s connected (unlike how I found mine) it could need cleaning or the connection made tighter.

Offline STORMY

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2021, 13:47:22 »
@Joy Strom, I had a look disconnected and gave the connection a spray of GT85 but to be honest it looked pristine, always worth a check though :thumb:

Offline STORMY

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 17:53:41 »
Okay I finally gave this Booster Plug thing a bit of a go, I deliberately chose today’s rush hour plenty of stop start traffic on the M27 / A32 & some full throttle on that private road we all know.........with the winds of hell blowing off the Solent :dl_hyperhysteria:
When you first take off I didn’t think it was working, because old habits etc., compensating for the low speed off / on throttle. So at just over 2000rpm I forced it to do its stuff, off and on the throttle in second third and fourth gears it’s noticeably smoother. You’ve still got engine braking, but instead of instantly kicking in, you’re given probably 1 to 1.5 seconds before it starts to engine brake. The result is a much smoother less jerky ride (although not totally eliminated).
Up shifts under fair acceleration also snick in a lot cleaner than before / even clutchless - although as a rule I wouldn’t normally do that.
From over 100mph in 5th if you close the throttle abruptly, it’s a much smoother slow down on the over run.
That’s about it really, will it cure my stalling problem no idea, but so far so good.
Don’t buy a BP if you’re expecting a performance increase because I couldn’t detect any change, but it’s definitely smoother in the low rev range - not perfect, but improved enough to justify its existence.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 09:46:50 »
 :thumb: cheers for the report, Stormy
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline porter

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 11:32:28 »
Yes thanks for the report, good to know its worked a bit to smooth the bike out, only time will tell if it helps with the stalling issue.
To help more try a G2 throttle tamer, I have one on mine, helps with that first pick up of the throttle. I enjoy spending your money!! Good luck

Offline STORMY

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 11:45:10 »
@ Porter I can’t spend anymore.........what’s that you say, a throttle tamer  lol.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2021, 16:12:51 »
 lol That has to be one for the quotes museum.  lol
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline STORMY

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2021, 19:22:16 »
I know wishful thinking lol

Offline STORMY

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2021, 22:19:48 »
Oh well it didn’t cure the stalling - today’s stalls took place at the local Shell petrol station with a full tank of V Power, superb save by yours truly (I was ready for it). The second stall was slap bang in the middle of a yellow box junction..........nice.
Next week I’ve got a test ride booked - the new KTM Super Adventure 1290s - lets see how good their offer is?

Offline porter

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2021, 09:06:09 »
Oh dear that is a pity, I really thought the boosterplug would cure that. I know that stalling is a pain literally, we ended up in a heap because of it and many close calls to.  Luckily for me the x-tre fixed it or I would have sold the bike also.

Offline STORMY

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2021, 10:07:11 »
I still think the BP was a worthwhile purchase it really does make the bike far more enjoyable to ride  :thumb:
I’m just checking out my options part ex trade in value or approach Suzuki and find out if they’re prepared to investigate & repair - if it is the ECU they’re the thick end of £900 (I think), and then sell privately or shock horror keep it lol.
But one things for sure sooner or later I’m going to drop it if I just leave it.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2021, 10:07:44 »
Disappointing result to say the least. I'm begining to think Suzuki don't deserve customers like us.
According to my local Suzuki dealer three years ago "KTMs are too radical and a bit fragile". In the last year or so he has become a KTM dealer and his shop is full of them. I've not yet asked him what has changed.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.