Author Topic: 2012 Glee Dipped Beam Headlights  (Read 305 times)

Offline allabright

• Bike: DL650A L2
2012 Glee Dipped Beam Headlights
« on: November 11, 2020, 16:05:21 »
Hello All,

I've recently been having problems with my headlights - the dipped beam stopped working completely one day.

I tried a new bulb, I dismantled the starter switch and cleaned it, and I checked the fuses. However, none of it worked.

Today, I believe I traced it to the large connector inside the fairing, left of the forks. I took the connector apart and gave it a spray with some cleaner, and the lights now seem to work intermittently, depending on the orientation of the connector/wires etc. I've arranged them now so that the lights work, but it's obviously not a permanent fix?

Where should I go next on this? Is it likely to be something in the connector causing it, or a partially broken/corroded wire? And if I have to replace the connector/wire, do I have to replace the whole front harness?

Additionally, I noticed that with the connector unplugged totally, the lights still work, but I get a 'Check' sign on the dashboard. Should this be happening? Or is it likely a previous owner installed something that bypasses that connection anyway?

Thanks a lot,

allabright

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650A L6
Re: 2012 Glee Dipped Beam Headlights
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 18:16:57 »
You have identified the source, they are known for corrosion. Check for heat on the wires, that should tell you which wire/pin is corroded. Usually, 20 minutes with a small file should sort out the connector, worse case, cut out the offending wire, solder and heat shrink it, bypasing the connector  :thumb:
** Biker Friendly Campsite in West Wales **

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit
Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

I will NEVER use JT's Motorcycles of Swansea! http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2717.msg205443#msg2054

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 18:58:42 »
If the wires are all intact and not burnt out clean the connections and give them a little twist with a pair of long nose pliers.   

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline sjh

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 10:17:28 »
Or is it likely a previous owner installed something that bypasses that connection anyway?

Stopped by the forum to look at the for-sale bit and spotted a question I can answer - I didn't do anything to the front lights,

The PC8 was tapped into the number plate light connector if I recall correctly,

Glad the bike is still going!