Author Topic: New Project - VW Beetle 2003 EV  (Read 1300 times)

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: New Project - VW Beetle 2003 EV
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 07:09:36 »
Stunning build, stunning performance and it's my favourite type of car the restomod.

The only downside for me is one of my senses (after sight, the most important to me) isn't satisfied. Neither is the next on my list smell, people of a certain age still lust after an illicit whiff of burnt Castrol R, blended with the heady aroma of perfectly burned hydrocarbons without being bothered by a catalytic converter.

There is no sound, no noise, no mechanical symphony, no lingering sense of what has happened.

I really appreciate and applaud the concept and achievement. I suppose I am akin to those who lamented the passing of steam locomotives and the introduction of diesels. Speaking of which I close to a running Deltic recently, even though it was stationary, I was moved.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 08:52:57 »
"There is no sound, no noise, no mechanical symphony, no lingering sense of what has happened." Close to being poetry, TLP. Moving. :thumb:
I watched a couple of Formula E rounds a while back and while the cars looked good, cornered well and went like sh!t off a shovel I was still left with the feeling that it was just like watching a big scalextric. Soulless.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 09:15:33 »
It's the same when you see Eric Teboul disappear down the strip at warp factor eleven. Impressive speed, acceleration, engineering, etc.. But  not the same feeling as watching a top fuel dragster, albeit the rocket is quicker.
Road vehicles though, I think the concept is brilliant. ( Range and charging infrastructure aside, obviously.)

Offline The Doctor 46

• Bike: DL650 L2, BMW F650GS
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 11:24:55 »
These Tesla cars, or maybe electric cars in general, must go through tyres like they are going out of fashion.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2020, 23:02:54 »
Looking forward to reading more on this.
What control system are you using to interface with the car electronics and inverter/ BMS etc?
What sort of 12V system are you going to use?  Keeping the standard 12V battery or binning it in favour of a full step down supply?  Where are you mounting the batteries?

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 08:17:38 »
Keeping 12v, as all the car still works on it.

I'm hoping to mount batteries where the fuel tank is now, enlarging the spare wheel well and maybe some under the bonnet.

I'm writing some custom code to replace the ecu, there's a few canbus messages to replicate to keep things happy and send out a fake idle rpm when the motor rpm drops below 600.

Currently using an arduino uno on the bench, have a custom pcb on the slow boat.

This seems to be what the abs and airbag subsystems look for. Time will tell.

Bms will likely be the OEM from which ever vehicle I get a battery pack from, most seem to be canbus controlled.

I've just about finished installing an electric power steering pump from a zafira and will need an electric vacuum pump from a diesel for brake boost.

Lots of info on YouTube, Damien Maguire is a good channel, he's designed a logic board to replace the prius inverter logic board to gain control. It uses the open inverter software.

My struggle at the moment is I have 2 clutch friction plate centres with spline patterns I need to interface motor to gearbox, but I've not lathe so joining them perfectly aligned is proving tricky.

Offline The Doctor 46

• Bike: DL650 L2, BMW F650GS
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 10:26:39 »
I followed a Tesla down a narrow country lane last night (on my 650 Strom). we arrived at the stop sign before turning left onto a 60 mph road. He went then I moved up to the line, looked right then looked left to move off. I was expecting to catch the car and pass very quickly, I know the road and usually pass as quickly as is safe because then, there is a long section of tight bends with few overtaking opportunities.

Anyway, I moved to the line, stopped and looked to the right but when I looked left, the Tesla was much further down the road than expected. A quick petrol car, if pushed could have done the same but, it would have made a roar so I would have heard it. The Tesla was silent.

I watched a few fast, electric beetles on Youtube. Very impressive.

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M0 in fast white (Gen 3), 2019 Suzuki Address 110 also in fast white
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 23:02:07 »
This popped up on YouTube recommendations for me, I would like one for Christmas please Santa  :thumb:

If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 14:12:20 »
It's a shame they didn't put the extra effort in to use the original dials though but still looks good.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 17:01:36 »
A little update.

Zafira power steering pump bracket made, plumbed in and running.

I've also welded(badly) the 2 splines that match the motor and gearbox shafts and attempted to round the welding off using the motor

Next job make up an adaptor plate to bolt the gearbox and motor together and throw the assembly back in the car.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition & Suzuki GS750E 1982 (in bits)
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2020, 18:43:09 »
A very interesting project and having two EV's at home I know how inexpensive they are to run (once built). How are you doing for a battery ? A lot of my work is involving large, grid scale batteries (cirac 50MW) but these are made up of thousands of smaller units. Have you the room for an off the shelf battery (Nissan/Renault etc) or do you need to split it down further ?
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2020, 22:24:24 »
This is a budget build, I'm trying to bring it in under 2k so range and performance will be modest. If I can get a 24kw leaf battery cheap that would be fantastic, but current thinking either an outlander phev pack ~13kwh or one of the BMW hybrid packs. There a lot of demand for used packs for solar storage and EV upgrades. The car has cost just over 100 quid now the engine, cat, fuel pump has sold.

Small update, I've got the motor and gearbox mated, and it'll be going in the car at the weekend.

here the motor running from rectified mains until I source a battery pack.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2021, 19:59:45 »
If anyone's interested, here's an update.

I've got a Golf GTE battery pack, 355v nominal, will be charging up to just under 400v
Using a charger from an Outlander, I've got charging sorted.
I have the inverter mounted in the car, gearbox is back in and motor in place.

All the various bits are working in isolation, so pretty confident it'll run.

Still need to make a box for the battery modules to live in and mount somewhere in the car.

Most of wiring is roughly done, needs tidying up and the chocblocks replacing with automotive connectors.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 05:08:31 »
I don't see any pictures mate. In my imagination it looks really impressive and a technological marvel. :bow-blue:

(You were the reason I was inflicted upon this forum, you posted something about clutch cable adjustment, now look what you've gone and done  :smirk:)

*Edit*

Your pictures have appeared, I must congratulate you on your choice of cable colour. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 07:49:10 »
I'll bring it round on a victory lap when done. Assuming we come out of restrictions at some point.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition & Suzuki GS750E 1982 (in bits)
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 10:02:39 »
Nice work and a very discreet type 1 charging socket  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2021, 13:46:16 »
Time for another update for anyone that might be interested, still loads to do, but we have movement. I had a little help with the aluminium plate :D

Offline TLPower

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2021, 16:20:06 »
It was nothing folks, half an hour with a jigsaw and some emery paper. :thumb:

Walter Rohrl.